Noice - Rock Bandish clone for mac

Discussion specific to other music games, like: RB, GH, GZ, JamLegend, SoS, etc.
This topic is 5 months and 2 weeks old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
brand

Noice - Rock Bandish clone for mac

Postby brand » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:15 pm

Update - i put this up on itch but it is very raw - https://mecdos.itch.io/noice

Hi all,

This is a personal project I've been working on for learning and it's also my very first game. It was initially gonna be expert pro drums only, but after I was done with that I started implementing other instruments too. The game is completely in Swift with native cocoa frameworks.

Progress is slow becuase I keep rewriting how the game works under the hood - because I keep learning new things. The last big change was addition of guitar, bass and keyboard (not fully completed yet). In doing so, I implemented a component/entity system which then prompted me to change drums to a component/entity system too which changed how I keep score and broke a lot of things I had already solved. I also changed the database model which changed alot of my code.

Anyway, this is the last video I made of the game if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_HDSWaoHJM

I'm gonna keep developing it - but eventually it might pivot to something different

edit: added some screen shots

Last edited by brand on Wed May 24, 2023 10:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: Noice - Rock Bandish clone for mac

Postby raynebc » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:55 pm

Looks pretty promising. The only thing that I thought might be a bit weird is how the cymbal gems and drawn quite a bit higher than non cymbals at the same timestamp. It could get visually confusing if a chart has lots of different drum "chords" in quick succession.
brand

Postby brand » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:38 am

thanks. yeah, i thought it would but i've been playing it confusion free, but i haven't played a super difficult song.

it can still change tho, graphics are taking a back seat because i want to focus on code and still got too many things to do.
brand

Postby brand » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:10 am

so it's been a while. i've been doing other stuff, got dragged into a game jam and my son went off to college. a few months ago i played my game on midi drums and it constantly crashed - i had only tested on the keyboard since rewriting the gameplay using an ECS. So i shelved it.

i didn't need to use a component system, things worked great before, but the intent of this project was to learn so that's what i'm doing. i'm trying different ways of doing the same thing to better understand programming. so anyway, i decided to fix it a couple of weeks ago and then i rewrote the Song Menu as a component system also, which ofcourse broke a lot of things but i got new things added. i also refined a lot of transitions, animations and flow.

here are some highlites (i might make a vlog entry later)

the loading screen now transitions smoothly into this quiet landing screen, instead of immediatly selecting the first song. I had to clean up a lot of code for this simple thing to happen. that should probably say "to make some Noice!" instead of rock out.

the selection screen now has ABC indicators for the columns, and songs group better (example: number songs now sort in the same column "#").
also, there is a heads up song list with song counter. this was really tricky because it has to work going sideways column to column, and also when jumping from A-Z and Z-A. All movement is animated now so navigation doesn't just teleport to location. going from A-Z animates off the screen and back in from the opposite side so it feels like it wraps around. it all looks kinda the same but i put a lot of work into it.

and this right here is the reason i redid the menu. now when you select a song on the song screen, there is count of the other songs by the same artists. for the beatles there are 71 songs.

so from there you can play the song or go into this next menu. which is the feature i really wanted but brought up the programmatic problem of what happens when i select a song from here? does it play the song, or does it show it in the previous screen? how do i update the previous screen? anyway, the solutions i had to find the cover art position and update all the info on the selection screen were comboluted so i rewrote the menu and now when you select a song on this list, the corvers in the background animate to the corresponding position and this screen transitions to the previous menu screen with the new selection showing. when you get out that screen it transitions smoothly back to the song selection.

i left the covers faintly visible in the backround as a visual cue for orienation.

lastly, i added a couple of little animated "reactors" for the drum bass.

a lot of other stuff got fixed and broken along the way. but this post is already too long. the menu changes broke the sorting options which i will fix next. but now what happens when songs are sorted by artist? the new song list becomes redundant. or does it want to become other options, like same genre? or do i hide the option when sorted by artist. anyway.
Last edited by brand on Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brand

Postby brand » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:37 pm

here is the start for the StarPower indicator.

brand

Postby brand » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:57 pm

I uploaded a video with the latest highway updates. in-game is actually smooth, I can't seem to get a good screen recorder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b106OGzJ68
brand

Postby brand » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:16 pm

is there like a pubic domain chart i could distribute with this as a sample?
brand

Postby brand » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:08 pm

i had not touched this in a long time till last weekend. i added new animation for the instrument selection. the art is placeholder for now. i have a vision in mind.

Last edited by brand on Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brand

Postby brand » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:44 pm

i completed the animations for the tentacles. i think i'm happy with it.
the arm segments are swappable in case i want different models and the animations are programatic. i had more dymanic movement going but it became very distracting. i might make it more rigid as it should remain a background element. initially i thought it would be a neon sign, then i thought steam punk. can't make up my mind, i don't know.

Last edited by brand on Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brand

Postby brand » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:46 am

experiment for possible gameplay background. i'm reusing the menu tentacles but the idea is that they would be more dimensional and the movement would sync to beats and stuff.

brand

Postby brand » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:57 pm

here is an experiment with everything put together. next i'll be working on the actual models and animations. the graphical glitches like the particle system is all figured out.

brand

Postby brand » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:18 pm

more tentacle animation tests. i've done several with many more to go. trying to think procedurally to many events as dynamic as possible.

brand

Postby brand » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:05 pm

here is another tentacle animation. this is for when the player is in the groove or multiplier of 4. there are several inensities of this animation depending on the song. i'll still be working on more because once arranged on the background, the angles might not look good, but this is the last one i'll be posting here.

brand

Postby brand » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:00 pm

some material directions for the tentacles. these were just slapped on for experimentation. the end products would be more customed and have at least one lighting element. here i'm showing Space Junk (it could also be spacehip-like), stamped metal (steampunk lite), or abstract pattern

Last edited by brand on Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brand

Postby brand » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:23 pm

a little progress on the texturing. finished the stamped design for the bottom. I tried all kinds of ways to make it, from physically modeling and transferring normals, to sculpting in zbrush, making masks in illustrator. in the end i just freehand painted them very carefully. The top will be very different tho because i want it to have a sculpted look and not flat.

Return to “Other Music Games”