How to seperate Guitar, Bass, Rhythm and Drums from a song

Help center. Members helping members
Forum rules
This topic is 5 years and 5 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
jillaz

How to seperate Guitar, Bass, Rhythm and Drums from a song

Postby jillaz » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:14 pm

Hi folks,

can anybody explain me how I can seperate Guitar, Bass, Rhythm and Drums from a song.ogg into:
guitar.ogg
bass.org
rhythm.ogg
drum.ogg

I create my one songs by using EOF or Moonscraper for setting up the frets. But with seperating the instruments from a song I didn't find a solution yet. I hope somebody can explain me how to realize this.

Thanks!
CyPha

Re: How to seperate Guitar, Bass, Rhythm and Drums from a song

Postby CyPha » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:49 am

There isn't a way, unless you're Activision or any of the other crews that worked on those games. Those people had two options, use music that was already recorded into stem or multi track form, or pay to have the Band or Artist come in and re-record in that method. But they could never edit a song to the degree you want. What you speak of would be a Remixer's wet dream. Stems/Multi-tracks/Mastertracks are easy enough to find via googling or torrenting.

The only solution is to attempt to knock out certain sounds and frequencies using a DAW such as FL or Ableton, some people take out all the high end and call what's left 'song.ogg', and put just the high end on the 'guitar.ogg' so that when the guitar isn't played there is a sound difference. Obviously the more instruments you want to cover the more complicated that will become.

best place to start for stems is tracking down the torrent
'The Largest Multitrack Music Collection Ever! 2013 66.3GB' - look around, might find a bigger newer version of that collection.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:32 pm

As Cypha has said, you cannot separate an already mixed song.. In fact i would go as far as to say its pretty much impossible to separate an individual instrument from an already mixed song.
The best analogy for this ive ever seen was.. Think of it like coffee and milk, its very easy to mix milk into your coffee to get the perfect cup, but you try removing the milk from that coffee and see what kind of mess you get into :smile:

You can make mix down/compiled songs from masters, but you cannot make masters from mixdown/compiled songs. just doesnt work.

If you are looking for masters, then i would suggest looking for torrents (for the most part its gonna be RB/GH masters as they were fairly easy to get hold of and share) you could also try looking for individual master tracks, there are some really nice ones out there such as the 24 track version of bohemian Rhapsody.. But if its just general masters you are looking for you could save a lot of time, and search the tune posting section of this site, find the 2 sticky threads at the top of the page, titled Rockband songs for Phase shift / Guitar hero songs for phase shift.. In those two threads alone you have NEARLY all of the songs from every version of RB and GH so that is thousands of songs at your disposal right there. They are not 100% true masters, but they are generally split into the instruments needed for music games, so you will have separate guitar,drums,bass,vocals..

Hope something there helps you out.. Good luck.
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
jillaz

Postby jillaz » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:24 pm

Thank you @CyPha @nobby76 very much for your feedback! I am looking for the following master track: John Lee Hooker and Santana - The Healer. I hope that I will find the song ;-) @nobby76 I like the comparison between milk and coffee :-D
Last edited by jillaz on Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Tech Support”