An automatic song maker?!

FOF discussion only. Do NOT post help questions here!
This topic is 6 years and 10 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Addicted to memes
MetalMuxxer

An automatic song maker?!

Postby MetalMuxxer » Tue May 09, 2017 9:36 pm

Isn't that what we always dreamed of? Some way of charting any song in just seconds? THAT WOULD BE GREAT!, but as a far as we know that's not possible right now (or is it? anybody knows?)...

So, we know that there there are 5 notes (6 notes with open strum) in all Guitar Hero-rooted games (except for Guitar Hero Live ¬¬), including FoFix and Phase Shift. Every note represents a note between Cx and Ex (x means a number, like 8) in a MIDI piano roll, and each difficulty has it's own number in the piano roll, (expert is 8, hard is 7?, medium is 6? and easy is 5?), and it would go like this:

C = Green
C# = Red
D = Yellow
D# = Blue
E = Purple/Brown

So, now you must be understanding that the notes that you see in a song are actually notes in a MIDI, but if you open up that MIDI and hear it you will just hear a lot of horrible things, and not the original song (duh), but it's possible to make charts out of the MIDIs of original songs. This involves opening an accurate MIDI of an original song and moving the notes to anywhere between C and E to make it playable in a game.

This is kind of easy, since you instead of needing to hear the whole song and go slowly putting note per note, you just need to move the already placed notes. But, this can be very confusing and time wasting sometimes...

Ok I'm going to the point

If a software could be made in a way that every note in a MIDI is automatically placed between C8 and E8 (expert chart) in a realistic way (i.e high notes being purple and low notes being green, get it?), it would be possible to make songs automatically. So, maybe it's possible right now, maybe is not, I don't know, ok?

Now, this wouldn't be that easy, you would still need to fix any issue with the BPM (that's very common), and maybe adding missing notes in the MIDI.

Any way to do dis? Would someone cre8 a software to do dis?
J-Rock Band Charter
GhostByob

Re: An automatic song maker?!

Postby GhostByob » Wed May 10, 2017 4:44 am

with a midi, you have literally a song done already in 5 minutes... (G,B,D)
just need to assign a properly BPM and obviously, a good standard to follow.

YeaaOhhh!!
siavash

Postby siavash » Wed May 10, 2017 5:01 am

It's not a matter of if it could be done. I think it's more a matter of SHOULD it be done. Half the charts on this site already suck as it is. The last thing we need is Average Randy Joe getting his hands on crappy A7X tabs and making two-minute customs.
Hellrock120

Postby Hellrock120 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:00 am

I think that it's not going to happen, because every song are different and their length differs from others, make a tool that put automatic notes for you is great, yeah, but in the other side it lets a lot of random notes and it's very uncomfortable, and a vast waste of time. I'll really love to finish a song in 5 minutes or less, but as I said before, those things are annoying, and it's why I don't use this method.
wee little kid
m1999

Postby m1999 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:09 am

there actually is one out there, but the results are pretty bad tbh
Last edited by m1999 on Wed May 10, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:04 pm

m1999 wrote:there actually is one out there, but the results are pretty bad tbh

There are MANY out there, they all work the same way, which is crap.
The ONLY way you will even have a chance of getting this to work is to use separate master tracks. You CANNOT use a regular mp3, flac, wav.. They will NOT work. you need an single instrument on its own track for auto note placement apps to work and even then they dont get half the notes correct. If you dont use separate tracks, then when it listens to the guitar, it will also hear the keyboard, drums and any other instrument as well, so it will try and place notes for those at the same time, which results in a giant mishmash of notes.

These apps have been around for over a decade.. They were crap back then and are still crap now.
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
SparklingFire

Postby SparklingFire » Thu May 11, 2017 9:45 am

nobby76 wrote:You CANNOT use a regular mp3, flac, wav.. They will NOT work. you need an single instrument on its own track for auto note placement apps to work and even then they dont get half the notes correct.

Yup there's a game called Rhythm Zone out there (I don't recommend it) which is a GH-like game where the charts are generated from your music library (mp3, wav, ogg...). Sounds cool but unfortunately the result is terrible, it feels like the notes are placed at a random time so it feels like you're playing a game with some music playing in the background... You can't get all the info you need using frequency analysis hence the disappointing result.
Last edited by SparklingFire on Thu May 11, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
wee little kid
m1999

Postby m1999 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:01 am

no i mean theres one that actually turns midi files into playable charts (not from audio)
Addicted to memes
MetalMuxxer

Postby MetalMuxxer » Thu May 11, 2017 11:33 am

SparklingFire wrote:
nobby76 wrote:You CANNOT use a regular mp3, flac, wav.. They will NOT work. you need an single instrument on its own track for auto note placement apps to work and even then they dont get half the notes correct.

Yup there's a game called Rhythm Zone out there (I don't recommend it) which is a GH-like game where the charts are generated from your music library (mp3, wav, ogg...). Sounds cool but unfortunately the result is terrible, it feels like the notes are placed at a random time so it feels like you're playing a game with some music playing in the background... You can't get all the info you need using frequency analysis hence the disappointing result.

Lots of games do that: Audiosurf games, Beat Hazard, Riff Racer, Symphony, Melody's Escape, Soundodger and a ton more. Most of those games aren't very accurate, I mean, Beat Hazard can throw epic boss fights in very quiet parts of the song, but others like Audiosurf, Symphony or Melody's Escape are more accurate and have better generated maps out of the music since they analize BPM and maybe loudness.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:33 am

Yeah audiosuf detects the beat not the notes, which basically any audio/dj app can do :) that isnt anything special im afraid. what would be classed as an "auto fretter" would be one that can convert audio to midi.. and those just do not work very well unless you use separate master tracks.. if you have one noise overlap another noise the app will hear both and get confused, giving you a wrong note

m1999 wrote:no i mean theres one that actually turns midi files into playable charts (not from audio)

So its Not an auto song maker then.. You have to provide the song already and it just moves the notes to a different note placement.. Thats exactly the same as the tutorial i did about 8 years ago "making fof songs without fretting a single note"
If you already have the midi file of the song AND an audio file of the song. As long as the midi syncs up with the audio pretty well, its just a case of move the notes up or down from where ever they are to be within one of the games difficulties bands (this can be done in any midi editor) Takes about 20 minutes to do a song this way, as you are not having to get the notes all lined up , just just have to move notes up or down the octaves until it is in one of the games difficulty bands (octaves c5-c8)
Last edited by nobby76 on Sat May 13, 2017 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
wee little kid
m1999

Postby m1999 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:36 am

nobby76 wrote:
m1999 wrote:no i mean theres one that actually turns midi files into playable charts (not from audio)

So its Not an auto song maker then.. You have to provide the song already and it just moves the notes to a different note placement.. Thats exactly the same as the tutorial i did about 8 years ago "making fof songs without fretting a single note"
If you already have the midi file of the song AND an audio file of the song. As long as the midi syncs up with the audio pretty well, its just a case of move the notes from where ever they are to be within one of the games difficulties bands (this can be done in any midi editor)

well yeah but that's what he was asking, he asked if there was a software that turns midis into charts, which there is
Last edited by m1999 on Sat May 13, 2017 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:46 am

aaaah sorry i miss read, i thought he was looking for something that made notes from an audio file..
OK i have a few questions..
Whats this app called that moves midi notes to different places to make it compatible with music games?
How well does it work? For example, say you have a run of 8 notes going up. if you was manually charting that you would probably do something like GRYBOGRY or GRYBOYBO. what does the app do in those situations?
Does it duplicate the notes for all difficulties, or if not, which difficulty does it use? because if it was set for easy it would have to also know to throw away some notes (and how does it decide which to get rid of) where as for expert it would need to keep all the notes and just move them?

Return to “General FOF Discussion”