New to FoF drumming, trying to get it straight

Help center. Members helping members
Forum rules
This topic is 1 year and 2 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
agnate80700

New to FoF drumming, trying to get it straight

Postby agnate80700 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:47 pm

Hello all

I've been hunting around the site and I'm getting a bit turned around as to what I need to get set up with the drums.

I basically play real drums and use Guitar Hero as a pseudo sheet music (its more complicated than that but thats the jist) but seeing as GH hasnt put anything out for years, things are getting a tad stale.

So I was hoping someone might just point me in the right direction to set up with a) the correct FoF version that will work with b) the proper hering(?) mod and c) that will hopefully have the same rails setup as Guitar Hero. I was at the hering mod section but it seems the link is dead, so instead of installing/uninstalling a bunch of stuff and fishing through unupdated pages and dead links, I thought I'd just ask and get it straight the 1st time.

(also d) a big huge library of songs for me to sit and play for hours would be swell too!)
aka drumbilical
italianstal1ion

Re: New to FoF drumming, trying to get it straight

Postby italianstal1ion » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:29 pm

Hello! Glad to see someone interested in the drum portion of our forum!

First, I recommend Phase Shift http://www.dwsk.co.uk/ as the game to use. The developers focused on drum features, and have great compatibility with Real Drums, and even Pro drums (hi-hat notation included!). I'm not quite sure what you mean by "hering" but Phase Shift is the most recent updated gaming software for drum charts and includes a LOT of drum hardware compatibility.

Check out my signature for a TON of drum charts. The Drum Project links will bring you to projects that have reached over 250 songs! (Drum Project 4 was the largest I think). And click on the spoiler tag in my signature to see a "Link to all drum topics" - that's where you will find ALL the drum songs on the forum! Including Rock Band and Guitar hero drum links.

PM me if you have any questions about your hardware, the programs, or where to find songs! Have fun :thumbup:
Index of all Drum Topics on the Forum in one convenient place
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Drum Project 7 Released!
Drum Project 8 Released!
Drum project 9 Released!!
Image My personal topic.
Can't get enough?

Spoiler:Image Feedback + EOF Pro Notation
Image Albelgim collaboration
If you appreciate my work and would like to see more, a donation would certainly motivate me! Thank you.

Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:42 pm

Hering or possibly herring was the oringial version of the drum mod for fof (before it got converted over to MFH mod and then re written as FOFIX)

If you are using FOFIX or phase shift "hering mod" is pointless to you. completely unneeded..

Hering mod should only be used with a Basic version of FOF ( the original fof game) anything that is a modded version or is a different named game (like fofix or phase shift) does not use or need hering mod or MFH mod.
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
agnate80700

Postby agnate80700 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:25 am

italianstal1ion wrote:Hello! Glad to see someone interested in the drum portion of our forum!

First, I recommend Phase Shift http://www.dwsk.co.uk/ as the game to use. The developers focused on drum features, and have great compatibility with Real Drums, and even Pro drums (hi-hat notation included!). I'm not quite sure what you mean by "hering" but Phase Shift is the most recent updated gaming software for drum charts and includes a LOT of drum hardware compatibility.

Check out my signature for a TON of drum charts. The Drum Project links will bring you to projects that have reached over 250 songs! (Drum Project 4 was the largest I think). And click on the spoiler tag in my signature to see a "Link to all drum topics" - that's where you will find ALL the drum songs on the forum! Including Rock Band and Guitar hero drum links.

PM me if you have any questions about your hardware, the programs, or where to find songs! Have fun :thumbup:

Well I'm having a damn mini panic (of joy?) attack and I'll tell you why: I've been goofing around with sitting in front of a TV with guitar hero on no-fail mode and just playing real acoustic drums for a year now, and that was after playing the plastic ones for like 2 years. So needless to say, those songs are pretty stale (though I still enjoy them immensely for the challenge). For the past 6-8 months I was considering putting together my own thing like Phase Shift because I DIDNT KNOW IT EXISTED!! I searched high and low for something like it, I posted on MULTIPLE forums asking if anyone know of something like it, no one know. I assumed I'd done my due diligence and concluded if I wanted something like it, I was going to have to make it myself. I would have already begun the project if not for some hangups with my programming team, which seem to be indefinite. With a lot of my hope dwindling, I thought maybe frets on fire might have some source code the team could use to work out a drum type version. Long story short, here I am.

All this to just start from scratch with building song maps.

Suddenly, not only do I have the entire shell prog handed to me ready to go, I also get a huge number of songs pre-made ready to play. Nothing I get this Christmas will compare to this. Mind = blown (in addition to the preceding, partially due to why I never came across even a whiff of Phase Shift's existence in all my searching?!)

I used to play a game called Step Mania (it was the FoF version of DDR) and I made a ton of my own charts for the songs, so I'm absolutely ready to start making my own drum charts for songs I've been dying to map out and play. Hopefully there are others who can use them, I'd love to add what I can to whatever community there is. I am so pumped right now.

I've managed to get it running and play a few downloaded songs (from your links) so, so far so good. I'm sure I'll have a question here or there to shoot over to you, I greatly appreciate it.

nobby76 wrote:Hering or possibly herring was the oringial version of the drum mod for fof (before it got converted over to MFH mod and then re written as FOFIX)

If you are using FOFIX or phase shift "hering mod" is pointless to you. completely unneeded..

Hering mod should only be used with a Basic version of FOF ( the original fof game) anything that is a modded version or is a different named game (like fofix or phase shift) does not use or need hering mod or MFH mod.

Understood. Oddly, the hering mod is what comes up if you search for fof drums (on google) so thats where I ended up.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:55 pm

Well someone is easily pleased hehehe. And im glad you got it all sorted..

Yeah, hering should pop up as the answer to "fof drums" as it was the fof drum mod :)

Oddly i started playing drums pretty much the same way...
It all started here originally of course, with FOF, we didnt have a console at the time so GH1 was out of the question, so i found this place... oddly within a couple of weeks of fof being invented (it was actually only written as an assembly contest entry originally) but we all liked it so much they carried on updating it for a while..

Then i found the joy of Rockband drumming. after that i took some lessons in drumming (one of my teachers was the ex drummer for Robert plant) But i had to stop, due to the expense and distance i had to travel to get to the drum school and now i have my own Elec kit (Alesis DM5 pro) and record RB3 pro drum charts (in practise mode, so it cuts the sound of the drums) and then i drum along to them, as it cut the sound for the drums if you dont play along in RB, it meant that when i played it back and drummed over the top, the only drums playing were mine.. So its all me :)

Ive been doing that for about a year now.. Without tooting my own horn too much, i dont think im that bad.. my mom kept asking me to record myself drumming so she could see, but i wanted to wait until i thought i was good enough before i put anything like that online.. Eventually i did.. it came out ok.. i even tackled Chop Suey - SOAD and survived :D
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
SSHEPHERD007

Postby SSHEPHERD007 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:18 am

Please let me know what im missing on Phase Shift DL. Been playing on old desktop for 5-6 years, got new computer "has plenty of RAM" getting error "00xc000007b" evertime after PS DL.. Been trying for litterly 5 days now have installed, deleted and reinstalled. PS, DirectX, Microsoft visual C ++, JDownloader... Everthing i had on old computer. Please help!!!
GeeForce11

Postby GeeForce11 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:53 pm

Try to install Phase Shift "As Administrator" to make sure everything needed will be installed in the background. Luck!

I love the 7 lane pro drums highway in Phase Shift, got so used to it I don't think I can ever go back to 4 lanes (RB or CH)

Built a HUGE library 16000+ songs in the past few years, links in my signature. Cheers!

Return to “Tech Support”