Why can't we speak foreign languages?

Everything else in here
This topic is 15 years and 2 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Full Time Fretter
hckyfrk2k7

Why can't we speak foreign languages?

Postby hckyfrk2k7 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:19 pm

I've noticed something kinda funny on here. It seems like the few foreign people we have that come on here and post can talk decent, if not, good english. Yet, most of us english speaking folks can't speak a single sentence of a different language (german, spanish, errrrr........ french). I'm just making a broad generalization and I do realize some of you guys know some foreign languages, but I find that pretty funny.
jake2k3 wrote:I think we've hit the point now where practicality has gone out the window and all this board is now is a "let's forget originality and work this sucker as close to an exact copy (of GH/RB) as possible" feeding frenzy.

New Song Awards Idea, Check It Out Here!
Now Mudkip Flavour!
BSRaven

Re: Why can't we speak foreign languages?

Postby BSRaven » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:27 pm

We're lazy.

/thread
NNdimethyltryptamine
Electro Tomato

Postby Electro Tomato » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:30 pm

hckyfrk2k7 wrote:I've noticed something kinda funny on here. It seems like the few foreign people we have that come on here and post can talk decent, if not, good english. Yet, most of us english speaking folks can't speak a single sentence of a different language (german, spanish, errrrr........ french). I'm just making a broad generalization and I do realize some of you guys know some foreign languages, but I find that pretty funny.

I'm lazy and can speak a few foregin languages.

Jeg er doven og kan tale et par foregin språk.

Sono pigro e può parlare qualche lingue di foregin.

Я ленив и могу говорить на нескольких foregin языках.
...the pain
myfingershurt

Postby myfingershurt » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:33 pm

I can read and write in several languages... but they're all code.

er, I'm a lazy American. I only retained such useless Spanish phrases as, "No fumar mi abuela, por favor" and "Todo es bueno en la casa del queso."

Wish I had learned a couple spoken languages when I was still a kid, though... that's the time to learn languages.
Pseudo-shredder
Mucky

Postby Mucky » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:34 pm

English is everywhere, it's impossible NOT to learn. At least for me it has been. It's not the case with many other languages.

Anyway, I speak Hebrew and am learning Spanish :)
NNdimethyltryptamine
Electro Tomato

Postby Electro Tomato » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:35 pm

Grr.. I can't speak Hebrew.
tibiazak

Postby tibiazak » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:00 pm

i want to learn japanese, i just haven't had the time of late... (or i haven't made time... or i haven't been willing to download the software necessary to learn etc)

but i am gonna learn a foreign language starting next year, and i'll have two years of it... dunno what it's gonna be yet (i hope japanese, but i might get stuck with spanish or french)
Welcome to an internet message board, where every answer comes with a free side of sarcasm or criticism. Enjoy your stay.
I Want You Inside Me
LedfortheHead

Postby LedfortheHead » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:11 pm

I really want to learn Swedish. One of my relatives can speak it, he use to live there.
Shredder
Scutch-Nukem

Postby Scutch-Nukem » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:14 pm

myfingershurt wrote:I can read and write in several languages... but they're all code.

er, I'm a lazy American. I only retained such useless Spanish phrases as, "No fumar mi abuela, por favor" and "Todo es bueno en la casa del queso."

Wish I had learned a couple spoken languages when I was still a kid, though... that's the time to learn languages.

"Don't smoke my grandma, please" and "All is well in the house of cheese"?
If you can read this then you've gone too far.
I have special eyes
Belisario93

Postby Belisario93 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:33 pm

Scutch-Nukem wrote:
myfingershurt wrote:I can read and write in several languages... but they're all code.

ROFLMAO that is too funny, gotta remember those for spanish class next time I take it
dangit nobby
blazingamer

Postby blazingamer » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:36 pm

^explains why I haven't. I wish I learned Japanese when I was young, just like how in Japan kids learn Japanese and English. Too bad I only got to learn English and our school didn't offer Foreign languages until eighth grade, too late to learn it fluently if you ask me. If I study hard or move there later in my life, though, there's still hope. Learning a language when you're older is easier if you are surrounded by it constantly.

I'd hate to live in another country without knowing at least some of their language but they know mine, I find it to be rude.
Lovin Life
kpChadR08

Postby kpChadR08 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:23 pm

hckyfrk2k7 wrote:I've noticed something kinda funny on here. It seems like the few foreign people we have that come on here and post can talk decent, if not, good english. Yet, most of us english speaking folks can't speak a single sentence of a different language (german, spanish, errrrr........ french). I'm just making a broad generalization and I do realize some of you guys know some foreign languages, but I find that pretty funny.

WELCOME TO AMERICA!!! :2thumbsup:
"Rule 36: I am Legend, you are Beowulf, we are Marshal, and this is Sparta"
- IRC Channel

Songs Completed:Woo Hoo, Bring Me to Life
Gerinych

Postby Gerinych » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:23 pm

Electro Tomato wrote:

I'm lazy and can speak a few foregin languages.

Jeg er doven og kan tale et par foregin språk.

Sono pigro e può parlare qualche lingue di foregin.

Я ленив и могу говорить на нескольких foregin языках.

The word "foregin" begs to differ.
...the pain
myfingershurt

Postby myfingershurt » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:55 pm

Scutch-Nukem wrote:

lol, yes. Glad to see I still remember how to write those phrases.

BTW that's what the American public school system gets ya... 2 years of Spanish in high school was not something I absorbed. I agree with Blazingamer.
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:34 pm

The reason why you should not speak in a foreign language is simple: so more people understand you. At one point, when you register to an international forum you know that you will have to use a language that the other members will understand and here, it is english. English is not my first language and even if sometimes it feels akward to write my posts in english when I'm replying to someone known to speak french, I try to remember that when I'm posting here it's not in the sole purpose of replying to one specific member (as I like to say, these boards are not a chatroom) but also so my posts can be useful to someone else. Tolerating topics in other languages would multiply the amount of topics concerning the same topics (and this is already a problem even with english only) when there are already other forums in other languages for people who can't speak english.
And it's also a matter of respect, when you're the one using the foreign language it's not a problem but it can be frustrating for the people who wish they could understand.

Return to “Off-Topic”