Mode for handicapped persons

What would you like to see added or fixed in FOF?
Forum rules
This topic is 12 years and 3 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
dumbfif

Postby dumbfif » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:30 pm

Hi there,

I know a person who would really be interested in having the possibility to play Frets on Fire in a single handed mode. He had an accident and one of his hands is almost paralyzed now.
I was thinking in not having to use the pick button at all to play. Simply pressing the frets key would at the same time trigger the pick action, as this already exists, but for all notes.
I once thought of modifying the existing songs for him to have only 'non pick' notes but still you have to press the pick button at least once for the first note, and you also have to press it again if you miss a note in the curse of the song. So a special mode without pick would really be of help.

I am sorry if someone else already proposed this. I did a quick search in the 'Thoughts' forum but did not find anything similar.
sherranjjj001

Postby sherranjjj001 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:32 pm

i think your best bet is to look into joy2key...it lets you map multiple keys together using a guitar hero controller (that way you can just fret without picking) connected to the computer. i never figured out how but its possible to do what you're trying to do. sorry i can't be as much help you need.
Last edited by sherranjjj001 on Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wiitard
rednano12

Postby rednano12 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:46 pm

What controls does your friend use? I can whip a quick GlovePIE script.
Oct. 30th is Cama appreciation day!

Check out my first song: Snow (Hey Oh)
aka drumbilical
italianstal1ion

Postby italianstal1ion » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:50 pm

First set the buttons up in Frets On Fire, setting two keys on the keyboard as the picks, lets say "K" and "L".
Then find what buttons the frets are on the guitar controller in control panel -> game controllers. I think they are 1-2-3-4-5, 1 for green, 2 for red etc, but double check.
Now open joy2key and set the buttons 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 to hit the letter "K".
When you play the game, each fret button will press the corresponding fret color, as well as pressing "K" which you set to strum, so essentially you strum with the buttons.

I hope this helps you
Index of all Drum Topics on the Forum in one convenient place
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Drum Project 7 Released!
Drum Project 8 Released!
Drum project 9 Released!!
Image My personal topic.
Can't get enough?

Spoiler:Image Feedback + EOF Pro Notation
Image Albelgim collaboration
If you appreciate my work and would like to see more, a donation would certainly motivate me! Thank you.

dumbfif

Postby dumbfif » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:59 pm

Thanks very much for your help and replies. I am going to investigate what you propose and I'll keep you informed. I did not know about the joy2key item.
I am also going to investigate if GlovePIE could also be of help rednano12. Sorry I forgot you in my previous post. Thanks to you too.
Thanks again.
Last edited by raph666 on Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quizzledorf

Postby quizzledorf » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:31 pm

joy2key has some weird lag sometimes, but it works really well.
My songs
Blow It Up - Red Alert 2
http://www.mediafire.com/?cmups53ndl9
Bringer of War - Dynasty Warriors 5 - http://www.mediafire.com/?edwzmgtmw5t
My Spirit Will Go On - Dragonforce - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?embvsci9cqw
Since I've Been Loving You - Led Zeppelin - http://www.mediafire.com/?0tl03j1v5yx
2 + 2 = 5
MarvinPA

Postby MarvinPA » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:27 am

I'm not trying to be nasty but it's funny how everyone mood changes from "NO THERE WILL NEVER BE NO STRUM!" when it's a normal noob, but when it's a handycapped person everyone helps :D
xbox360922

Postby xbox360922 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:35 am

Well in a way, he really NEEDS this, the noobs do not NEED this. They're just too lazy to learn how to play! :p
Mass Effect FTW :)
BlackFate

Postby BlackFate » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:37 am

MarvinPA wrote:I'm not trying to be nasty but it's funny how everyone mood changes from "NO THERE WILL NEVER BE NO STRUM!" when it's a normal noob, but when it's a handycapped person everyone helps :D

A normal noob is perfectly capable of using both of their hands, so there's no need for them to be lazy and not strum.

But if they're handicapped, for example have only one arm, then it's fine for them to ask for it :) , unless you want them to strum or play with their feet :p .

Mike.
Last edited by BlackFate on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Songs Finished: 82,
Metallica - Papa Roach - Disturbed - Bloodhound Gang
Maartah

Postby Maartah » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:35 am

Misirlou might be out of the question, but in general, it should work ^^
My Youtube Page!
KenshinHimuraRK wrote:beards are f*cking awesome.

vedicardi wrote:what did you do after you literally sh1t your pants
blackfriday

Postby blackfriday » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:47 am

Maartah wrote:Misirlou, Through the Fire and Flames, and Knights of Cydonia is indefinitely out of the question.

Hahahaha fixed your post Maartah!
DYRE

Postby DYRE » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:16 pm

Also, chords won't work well.
Well he can hit them, but he'll break his combo. Still, better than nothing.

And, actually, he could probably hit fast parts like Misirlou if he did something like hit the fret button, hit the strum button, release the fret button, release the strum button, and repeated that. As long as he can reach the strum button and the fret buttons at the same time with one hand, it should work, even if it would be very difficult.
Or, even better, he could just have both strum keys easily reachable from any fret button (6 and 7, maybe) and just mash those buttons really fast with two of his free fingers while holding down a fret.
So, yeah. Everything should work except chords.
Disco Skulls FTW!
Death Legion

Postby Death Legion » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:30 am

Instead of mapping each fret to strum, couldn't we write a little script which strum automatically each time a note/chord in the notes.mid come, so it won't break the streak (you'll just have to do the frets a little before the notes come, cause I think that it'll hit at the very first time of the hitwindow, like Jurgen do, so use the tight hitwindow if you use Alarian) and maybe work with tremolo pick parts (except if it happens like Jurgen, can't tremolo pick ^^).
Puppetz fan club member :tongue:
2 + 2 = 5
MarvinPA

Postby MarvinPA » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:55 am

BlackFate wrote:
MarvinPA wrote:I'm not trying to be nasty but it's funny how everyone mood changes from "NO THERE WILL NEVER BE NO STRUM!" when it's a normal noob, but when it's a handycapped person everyone helps :D

A normal noob is perfectly capable of using both of their hands, so there's no need for them to be lazy and not strum.

But if they're handicapped, for example have only one arm, then it's fine for them to ask for it :) , unless you want them to strum or play with their feet :p .

Mike.

I'm not trying to say that I'm saying that everyone's happy to help now.

I'm happy to help with a mod for handycapped people.
Disco Skulls FTW!
Death Legion

Postby Death Legion » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:42 pm

I GOT THE REVELATION!

Why didn't we thought of that before? It was so simple!

We just need a coder to look at the MFH Drums code!
For drums, the game doesn't need strum, but the most important is that the notes are independent. When 2 notes come at the same time in the song (like the chords for guitar), the game register the hits independently!

So, just need to translate the code from drums to guitar and add an option in settings to turn on/off Handicapped Mod for guitar (and bass, since it's the same :)).

Maybe we could add a warning message after the option is selected (like the notification if 2 buttons are the same in key settings), something like this:

The handicapped mod is here to bring fun to persons who can't play with their 2 hands, not to ruin the fun of those who can but don't want to...

What do you think all?
Puppetz fan club member :tongue:

Return to “Thoughts ?”