SVG´s are evil and should be Banished to Hell - Or so i think...

What would you like to see added or fixed in FOF?
Forum rules
This topic is 16 years and 11 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
crazy.neo

Postby crazy.neo » Wed May 09, 2007 6:07 am

Is it just me, or any PNG file looks about 2x better and softer than a SVG and boosts performance A LOT?
I don´t know this for sure, but I only found out about PNG's on the New Frets "Light Mod". It looked way to cool, and so I cheked the folder...
Now I use PNG's on EVERYTHING. They look way softer and are less resouce consuming...
Let the unpleasent comments begin...
warhol

Postby warhol » Wed May 09, 2007 6:14 am

Png's > SVG's
http://fof-empire.myminicity.com/tra
Playin' bongos mofo!
gebbss

Postby gebbss » Wed May 09, 2007 7:46 am

Png's = SVG's
Gerinych

Postby Gerinych » Wed May 09, 2007 8:11 am

Well, you can at least stretch the SVG in any way you want and it won't lose quality.
FuNiOnZ

Postby FuNiOnZ » Wed May 09, 2007 11:49 am

PNG is good, but SVG is waaaaaaaay better. SVG is just a series of coordinates in a text file that draws the picture out, which translates into being able to reshape any SVG to any size without a loss in quality.
Nightmare JG

Postby Nightmare JG » Wed May 09, 2007 7:44 pm

FuNiOnZ wrote:PNG is good, but SVG is waaaaaaaay better. SVG is just a series of coordinates in a text file that draws the picture out, which translates into being able to reshape any SVG to any size without a loss in quality.

This man knows what he's talking about.
[PATENT PENDING]
crazy.neo

Postby crazy.neo » Thu May 10, 2007 3:42 am

Yeah. the image won´t get pixelated, but, at least in my PC, the images look kinda edgy, with low gradient support, even with SVG quality to the max.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Thu May 10, 2007 3:46 pm

that im afraid is your computer then, not the svg, i have svg quality on low and anti aliasing on x2 and my svg's have soft edges.

To add to what FuNiOnZ said about SVG's and just being coordinates. that basically means its like a 3d object only its flat, infact you can convert SVG's directly to several different 3d file formats like DXF and even the ever popular "wavefront format" .OBJ
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
FuNiOnZ

Postby FuNiOnZ » Thu May 10, 2007 6:56 pm

I believe that SVG's are handled by the GPU of your video card, and require AA to smooth the edges at a cost of your processing power. However, I believe the reason that they look like that is to save cycles cause i'm pretty sure it takes a good chunk of power to smooth over constantly changing SVG's, and it would be a waste to enable that by default, as not everyone has access to the best PC's

Return to “Thoughts ?”