Resource issue question - Just curious

What would you like to see added or fixed in FOF?
Forum rules
This topic is 17 years and 4 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
musicgeekxyz

Postby musicgeekxyz » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:16 am

I have been an active player of FOF for about a month, and I'm curious as to why the game uses so much system resources. Is it possible future versions will resolve this issue?
Megaqwerty

Postby Megaqwerty » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:30 pm

The latest version fixes a number of memory leak issues. Get it and see if you still have problems.

Remember, this is a relatively recent homebrew demo, so there are still quite a few quirks that will remain for some time.
Do it for the state; don't procreate.
Futanari: all the penetration, none of the men.
musicgeekxyz

Postby musicgeekxyz » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:25 pm

I have the latest version of FOF. I'm sure it will be worked on in the future. I was just seeing if anybody had any suggestions or comments.
Megaqwerty

Postby Megaqwerty » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:47 pm

There's only one way to solve a memory leak: close the program and reboot it. Prior to the current version of FoF, most people had to reboot FoF after a few songs or performance dropped dramatically. Evidently, you still have this problem, but the "solution" should still be the same.
Do it for the state; don't procreate.

Futanari: all the penetration, none of the men.
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:51 pm

I have actually been doing some debugging myself as I was curious about the resource usage. At the title screen the resources are gradually drained over time. When playing the game itself, the song is loaded and never freed from memory once you complete the song. I looked at the source code and see nowhere in the Song class where the song can be freed from memory. If this were fixed it would help dramatically, as it is now, I have to restart the game after maybe 7 or 8 songs or otherwise the system slows to a crawl. I would attempt to fix it myself but I don't know how to use Python.
"Stop putting so much stock in all of this stuff, live your life for those that you love." - Relient K
EOF - A Song Editor for Frets On Fire

Return to “Thoughts ?”