Radical Idea "Keyboard on Fire"

What would you like to see added or fixed in FOF?
Forum rules
This topic is 13 years and 9 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.

DO you think this is a good idea?

Yes
62%
No
9%
Maybe
29%

Total votes: 34
Time Traveler
timedrifter

Radical Idea "Keyboard on Fire"

Postby timedrifter » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:56 pm

I think it would be awesome if they side stepped the major players (guitar hero / rock band / DJ hero) and made an add-on or new application all together possibly called "Keyboard on Fire" or "Keys on Fire" based on hardware like the korg nanoKEY (http://www.korg.com/nanoseries) or the Akai LPK25 (http://www.akaipro.com/lpk25) which are mini USB laptop midi keyboards with 25 keys and would certainly be a real challenge. there would be so many possibilities and would be much more friendly to other genres of music like hip hop, pop, RNB and other electronic music. I guess the application would have the same type flowing fretboard except with 25 sections and different colors grouped in sections, anyway, just an idea.

Tell me what you think.
Download my indy (XTT) songs for Frets on Fire: http://www.renatomusic.com/?page_id=440
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Re: Radical Idea "Keyboard on Fire"

Postby Jama7301 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:14 pm

There's a few threads in Thoughts that discuss using Keyboards and such. Not using external hardware, but using the keyboard itself of course.

I believe the concensus was that it's a low-to-medium priority, but yes, it's an idea that many like.
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
Gah.
OzzyOzrock

Postby OzzyOzrock » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:20 pm

Jurgrn uses the whole keyboard.
ImageImage

I haven't touched a GH related game for 6 months. Woo. My (dead) song thread: Contains horrible things.
Tormann71

Postby Tormann71 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:44 pm

OzzyOzrock wrote:Jurgrn uses the whole keyboard.

OzzyOzrock makes useless posts.

And can't spell Jurgen.

But yeah, I've heard of this idea, and I remember there being talk of some type of keyboard addition being put into RB2 prior to its release, but obviously that never happened.
Time Traveler
timedrifter

Postby timedrifter » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:08 pm

Thanks for the responses, I had a feeling I wasn't the only person who thought of it, which is cool, I just think it would be cool if an open source app became popular before the main stream did it and I think it would appeal to a much larger audience of all ages, and the hardware I mentioned seems like a good fit, but I do agree using an actual QWERTY keyboard would be cool too and I bet jurgen would dig it too.
Download my indy (XTT) songs for Frets on Fire: http://www.renatomusic.com/?page_id=440
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:10 am

Playing more than perhaps two octaves of keys on a computer keyboard would be really annoying. A while ago, one of these keyboard gameplay threads pointed to an interesting free game called Synthesia:
http://www.synthesiagame.com/

The current release isn't open source, but a previous open source release is available. As soon as Synthesia supports the ability to play a background track instead of just the MIDI and allows the MIDI track to be muted, it will be the perfect piano/synth based rhythm game (if you can call playing an instrument for real a game).
Time Traveler
timedrifter

Postby timedrifter » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:32 pm

I checked it out, it looks pretty awesome, but I agree it is missing those very important elements.
Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:49 pm

Nah. I don't think this would be too great. It would take a lot of work, and in the end, not very many people I think would download and play it. I'm sorry, but I don't support this at all.

My Song Thread
Current Songs: 98
Secret Project in the Works! Check this signature for active updates!
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:50 pm

You know what else took a lot of work? Vocals... and about a dozen other things in FoFix.

Believe it or not, the keyboard would add a nice challenge for most players. And if I recall right, it's also in the Issue tracker, but don't cite me on that.
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
I AM THE CATFISH MAN
Nathaniel607

Postby Nathaniel607 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:15 pm

timedrifter wrote:I think it would be awesome if they side stepped the major players (guitar hero / rock band / DJ hero) and made an add-on or new application all together possibly called "Keyboard on Fire" or "Keys on Fire" based on hardware like the korg nanoKEY (http://www.korg.com/nanoseries) or the Akai LPK25 (http://www.akaipro.com/lpk25) which are mini USB laptop midi keyboards with 25 keys and would certainly be a real challenge. there would be so many possibilities and would be much more friendly to other genres of music like hip hop, pop, RNB and other electronic music. I guess the application would have the same type flowing fretboard except with 25 sections and different colors grouped in sections, anyway, just an idea.

Tell me what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhedP71N9gQ

This. Would be insane.
Tormann71

Postby Tormann71 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:57 pm

slashfan7964 wrote:Nah. I don't think this would be too great. It would take a lot of work, and in the end, not very many people I think would download and play it. I'm sorry, but I don't support this at all.

Adding keyboard might actually get me back into FoF...and maybe even rhythm games in general again.
Mr. Fansonfire
lordhardware

Postby lordhardware » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:56 am

Jama7301 wrote:There's a few threads in Thoughts that discuss using Keyboards and such. Not using external hardware, but using the keyboard itself of course.

I believe the concensus was that it's a low-to-medium priority, but yes, it's an idea that many like.

Actually Jama the thought WAS with Midi keyboards in mind, just to also make the keys easy for people using (computer) keyboards as well.
WIP:
"Check Your Hardware: Modern Hits" 11/20
"Check Your Hardware: Australian Anthems" 4/20
"Check Your Hardware: Alternative" 4/20
"Check Your Hardware: Classic Beats" 2/20
"Check Your Hardware: Electronic" 2/10
"Check Your Hardware: Rap" 1/10
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:09 pm

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I had just skimmed the topics personally, haha.

Still, an idea I'm all for.
Gmod4ever

Postby Gmod4ever » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:00 pm

I would totally try to play some Children of Bodom songs, keyboard part.

It'd be amazing.
Check out the Extreme Metal Community Hero Thread!
A convenient place to store all the non-technical death metal, black metal, thrash metal, and any fusions of those three - both what we fret, and what you fret!

Charted a song that you'd love to release, but are concerned it'd get drowned out in all the other releases? Submit it into Fuzkeren or myself for the EMCH thread and we'll guarantee at least a review, and will probably give your song a place on the thread (full credits to you, of course). Every submission helps!
Tormann71

Postby Tormann71 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:33 pm

I would kill to be able to play a Foxy Shazam song full band with keyboard too, god that'd be so awesome.

Return to “Thoughts ?”