Real guitar

What would you like to see added or fixed in FOF?
Forum rules
This topic is 15 years and 2 weeks old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
ngolian

Real guitar

Postby ngolian » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:44 pm

I'd be surprised if this hasn't come up before, but I couldn't find a message like this amongst all the noise...

When I heard about GH I thought it would be really cool if there was a version where you could plug in a real electric guitar and learn how to play it while you're having fun. Would that be possible in FoF? Sampling from the sound card and detecting whether someone hits the right note at the right time shouldn't be too difficult (must be how SingStar works), but I suppose the biggest difficulty is that the song/data files are designed for controllers with only 5 different notes besides the "pick" and to be much use in learning to play a real guitar it would have to support more complicated fretboard patterns.

If people think this is a good idea I could probably help with the development; I've got a computer which I'm good at programming (and python is one of my favourite languages), and an electric guitar which I'm terrible at playing :smile: .
DevXen

Re: Real guitar

Postby DevXen » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:06 pm

uhm.. is this what your talking about?

http://littlebigstar.net/main/
ngolian

Postby ngolian » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:46 pm

It looks as if it can only go two ways: fizzle out or become a commercial product. In the latter case I'd be willing to buy it, but the nice thing about FoF is that it genuinely is open and free and I can run it on Linux.
emperorsenshi

Postby emperorsenshi » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:51 pm

you can mod an electric guitar to work as a controller, but it would be nothing but sweeping
ngolian

Postby ngolian » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:19 pm

Sweeping?

I don't think there's much point in converting a real guitar into some sort of game controller, I want to actually be playing the tunes on one.
aduro

Postby aduro » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:16 pm

ngolian wrote:Sweeping?

I don't think there's much point in converting a real guitar into some sort of game controller, I want to actually be playing the tunes on one.

Thats pretty much exactly what Littlebigstar is actually
I'd Bone Her
venom426

Postby venom426 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:30 pm

That looks quite challenging.
skwissgaar my (god)
gen_codehazzard

Postby gen_codehazzard » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:47 pm

aduro wrote:
ngolian wrote:Sweeping?

Thats pretty much exactly what Littlebigstar is actually

that is not a bad idea i have to check that out but in the mean time what is the game written in and if it is not in python then some of the ideal cant be implemented
but i like the awsome notes dou the way it show`s the chord and fret numbers theres also a another game called guitar rising it is the same thing but not 3d like that
aduro

Postby aduro » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:29 pm

gen_codehazzard wrote:that is not a bad idea i have to check that out but in the mean time what is the game written in and if it is not in python then some of the ideal cant be implemented
but i like the awsome notes dou the way it show`s the chord and fret numbers theres also a another game called guitar rising it is the same thing but not 3d like that

It's written in XNA and uses GuitarPro tabs synced up with music. It's a pretty neat program but it's so different than FoF I don't think it would be worth trying to integrate them

Besides, it's still in beta and still has a long way to go
skwissgaar my (god)
gen_codehazzard

Postby gen_codehazzard » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:14 pm

can it be ran on the PC platform with out useing XNA and if so this wouldnt be bad to add in fofix just a litle extra work thats all
aduro

Postby aduro » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:53 pm

gen_codehazzard wrote:can it be ran on the PC platform with out useing XNA and if so this wouldnt be bad to add in fofix just a litle extra work thats all

No I imagine it's quite a bit of work

Return to “Thoughts ?”