Characters

What would you like to see added or fixed in FOF?
Forum rules
This topic is 15 years and 2 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Synthesiser Hero d_d
InPerFecTionS

Re: Characters

Postby InPerFecTionS » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:16 am

I reacon someone should make a screen that lets you select your background. Or one that selects your character and puts a picture of that character using starpower in the background rather than having an actual moving character.
A moving one will NEVER happen
    I Know it's inperfections up top and imperfections down bottom...
    So Shut up...
    A bit about me;
    The only game I play on the PC is FoF. I mainly use Ps3 (the games I play are in my gamer tag.
    I am currently fretting MF from Hell

My Dream Guitar
GamerFox71

Postby GamerFox71 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:28 am

i have an idea. why not code the game to let you select an in-game background? it's better than putting moving characters in the game. besides, putting moving characters there will make the game lag (unless it's a 2d character) :thumbup:
Official Zombie Outbreak Test Results:
60% Survival Chance
I WILL SURVIVE!!!!!!!!
I love lamp
PHaZED

Postby PHaZED » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:59 am

andrew_t29 wrote:Characters in FoF? It'll happen when pigs fly.

But that's what they said about Chinese Democracy...

hehe owned GnR!

but yeah i could care less if characters are in it or not. just as long as its an option cuz my pc would have a lag induced heart attack :scared:
"When the zombie apocalypse comes, go out and just get ur face bit on day one, and just save yourself the trouble. It's not worth it, okay, just get bit and get it over with!" - GAMERTAG
Pew Pew Pew
midknightkruzer

Postby midknightkruzer » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:59 pm

PHaZED wrote:would have lag
GamerFox71 wrote:will make the game lag
mitch951 wrote:I think it will lag
This will make the game 500% lag

It will not lag at all!
It will just make the loading take FOREVER!
Azzco

Postby Azzco » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:24 am

midknightkruzer wrote:
PHaZED wrote:would have lag
GamerFox71 wrote:will make the game lag
mitch951 wrote:I think it will lag
This will make the game 500% lag

It will not lag at all!
It will just make the loading take FOREVER!

What makes you think that? If a series of bakgrounds are used for fram by frame animation the images will be loaded into memory and unless you have a very large amount of RAM on your computer it will more than likely lag.

If 3d graphics are used.. well you know what'll happen. reverting back to stages.ini could be one option though, but extensive animation will be rather hard.
(k)Ubuntu 8.10 skyscraper 2.6.27-11-generic i686 GNU/Linux KDE 4.2.0
It's not like I dislike sleeping, I really do like it to be honest. It's the whole wake up/go to sleep business I don't like.
blah.
felixdaman18

Postby felixdaman18 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:30 pm

I like your idea, but I got a good one close to this(That would work better for people who's computers can't handle animated backgrounds). It should let you pick your character, and then it should show still images of your character.
Add me on XBL
Full Time Fretter
hckyfrk2k7

Postby hckyfrk2k7 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:25 am

GamerFox71 wrote:(unless it's a 2d character) :thumbup:

LOL, I could imagine someone making an 8-bit character like mario or something simple like that playing the guitar

That would be pretty funny.........
jake2k3 wrote:I think we've hit the point now where practicality has gone out the window and all this board is now is a "let's forget originality and work this sucker as close to an exact copy (of GH/RB) as possible" feeding frenzy.

New Song Awards Idea, Check It Out Here!
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:58 pm

In regards to using 3d characters, id pretty much forget that idea.. It will be nowhere near as easy as doing something like... animated backgrounds for example and would almost definitely lag the game to hell and back.
ill explain why... if any of you remember the old 3d notes and keys this will help a lot to explain..
The old notes and keys were made up of about 100 polygons each ( a polygon in 3d terms is a flat sheet made up of several points, like a square or triangle ) a cube is made up of 6 polygons ( one for each side )..
A good while back people used to make 3d notes and keys, but some people noticed that they could cause lagging, due to the amount of polygons used even when the polygon count was only something like 250-300 polygons per note/key, so people started making low polygon count models to combat this problem, a note would be made from only about 45-60 polygons. You still with me here???
The GH3 3d characters are made up of about 15,000 polygons YES thats fifteen thousand... judy's eyebrow ring alone is about 175 polygons ( which is more than a standard key or note) as you can see from the image here..( and yes that is an official model from the PC version of the game :tongue: )

Spoiler:Image

Now to get anything that looks even remotely like a humanoid figure will take at least 1000 polygons, probably closer to 2000, so that alone is gonna cause the game to lag its a$$ off. But the biggest problem with using animated characters, isnt the poly count its the fact that you would have to "rig" each model with a skeleton of bones or joints, then create a set of animations to drive that rig, so you need to create some form of code that can drive a character rig with a set of different animations.
Also each character needs its own rig, what with them all being different sizes and shapes, so you cant even use the same rig over and over, which means you will have to create a set of animations for each character rig ( thats a lot of animation sequences ) within a 3d package like 3ds max or lightwave3D thats a task in itself, outside of a 3d package, its pretty damn hard to do.
So.. you have a 3d model made of about 2000 polygons ( which would lag it anyway ), plus its textures ( images ) plus its character rig + all of the associated animations that go with it. just for one character... Then on top of that, you have to try and make all that translate into something FOF can use.

The easiest way around this would be to create 2d characters, and have them saved as animated gifs or something like that, and just have the game call upon a particular gif as and when an animation change is needed.. For example have a Gif for head banging, one for raising arms in the air thats sorta thing, then just call each gif up as a sequence changes..

OK hopefully that will explain why using 3d characters would be close to impossible to implement in FOF.. have fun and keep coming up with new ideas guys!

NOBBY76
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
The Photoshop Wizard
kristijan_mkd

Postby kristijan_mkd » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:30 pm

Yeah, chinese democracy took 14 years to be made.. So.. 3D characters for 14 years..
Hah, seriosly now. I don't expect this to be done , at least in the next 2 years. NO **** WAY. IMO. :sleep:
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:23 pm

kristijan_mkd wrote:

Yeah, chinese democracy took 14 years to be made.. So.. 3D characters for 14 years..
Hah, seriosly now. I don't expect this to be done , at least in the next 2 years. NO **** WAY. IMO. :sleep:

The problem isnt getting 3d characters into the game, we can allready get 3d objects in the game, examples are, the cd cases/ cassettes, notes and keys.
The problem is making the game run smoothly when there is a lot of graphical stuff happening on screen.
Alltho the 3d notes worked for the game, if you had a lot of them it could cause a hell of a lot of lag. The only way they will overcome the 3d model problem is if they can actually optimise the game to work better with 3d stuff, without that, there is no point as the game would be unplayable to most people
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
Azzco

Postby Azzco » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:41 am

How about some sort of avatar, something with a few different facial expressions. I'm linking some awesome artwork here, please don't sell this without my permission. With some practice you too can become a graphics god like me, and sell your own art, but this one is entirely mine.

On the first row from your left there's "missed note", "low rock" , "medium rock".
On the second row there's "high rock" , "full rock" and "stoned guitarist".

Oh and don't criticize my work, it's perfect as it is thank you.
(k)Ubuntu 8.10 skyscraper 2.6.27-11-generic i686 GNU/Linux KDE 4.2.0
It's not like I dislike sleeping, I really do like it to be honest. It's the whole wake up/go to sleep business I don't like.
Cutting Briers
Qwedgeonline

Postby Qwedgeonline » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:50 pm

Electro Tomato wrote:
FoF doesn't have to be a pure clone of GH or RB.

You may think that, but don't forget that there are members that don't own GH or RB. They are expecting the closest thing possible!
Can we get this forum going again?
oed

Postby oed » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:30 am

Qwedgeonline wrote:
Electro Tomato wrote:
FoF doesn't have to be a pure clone of GH or RB.

You may think that, but don't forget that there are members that don't own GH or RB. They are expecting the closest thing possible!

Then they shoulden't spend their time complaining on fof, they should spend their time earing money so they can buy GH or RB.
ImageImage
Nephytys

Postby Nephytys » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:20 pm

Perhaps if someone could code a mod that changed the background to like a 3 to 10 frame animation (maybe a .gif image which plays once) on certain events?

A different one for each of (just off the top of my head; probably more than I can think of right now):
Strum
Miss note
Hammer on
Overstrum
Song fail
Guitarist idle (if no other events happen before the current animation ends, it reverts to this)
YOU ROCK
(And maybe a different version of some of then when Star Powered)

You have there about 100 frames to one complete set, I estimate. If you kept them low enough res it wouldn't noticeably lag up (only slightly more than the kind of animated background we have now), or at least that's my theory. Might take a fair deal of code work, but hey, it's probably worth it.
andrew_t29

Postby andrew_t29 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:10 pm

Azzco wrote:How about some sort of avatar, something with a few different facial expressions. I'm linking some awesome artwork here, please don't sell this without my permission. With some practice you too can become a graphics god like me, and sell your own art, but this one is entirely mine.

On the first row from your left there's "missed note", "low rock" , "medium rock".
On the second row there's "high rock" , "full rock" and "stoned guitarist".

Oh and don't criticize my work, it's perfect as it is thank you.

Maybe this could go in FoFiX or something...like an option you can select. You get the little guy there in the corner. That would be pretty cool.

Return to “Thoughts ?”