How to auto tempo mapping in the Sonic Visualizer?

A collection of helpful posts
This topic is 5 years and 11 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Victhorest

How to auto tempo mapping in the Sonic Visualizer?

Postby Victhorest » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:25 am

Hi guys. I have a doubt about that. How do I make SonicVisualizer automatically detect BPM?
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: How to auto tempo mapping in the Sonic Visualizer?

Postby raynebc » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:05 pm

Give this a try:
EOF manual wrote:Sonic Visualiser
Sonic Visualiser is an audio analysis program that supports a large selection of plugins to process sound and while the beat estimation generally isn't as accurate as painstakingly syncing beats manually, the results are very impressive for an automated process. This feature would probably work best when you are first creating a chart instead of after you have authored your notes, but it's up to you if you want to use it after. To use this feature, download Sonic Visualiser (http://www.sonicvisualiser.org/download.html) and the Queen Mary plugin set (http://www.vamp-plugins.org/download.html) and install both of them. Once installed, open Sonic Visualiser and have it open your chart audio (ie. guitar.ogg) and you should see it begin to draw a waveform graph of the audio. Once it finishes, open the Transform menu, select "Analysis by category>Time>Tempo>Tempo and beat tracker: Beats". You can adjust the plugin parameters in the window that pops up if you want to experiment, otherwise just click OK and wait a minute. You should see lines plotted over the waveform that represent each beat of the song and a new layer tab will open on the side where you can change the line color. You can even change the plot type to segmentation to get a better view of the detected beat positions. If you are satisfied with the results, you can export the beat positions to a file that EOF can import. To do so, make sure that layer is still in the foreground (it is the selected layer tab on the side of the program) and use "File>Export annotation layer" and choose a place to save the file (your project folder would be a good place). Then in EOF, while your project is open, use "File>Sonic Visualiser Import" and select the file you just exported from that program. The project's tempo map will be updated to reflect the information in the file, but if the results aren't to your liking, you can undo the changes and trying other settings in Sonic Visualiser's beat estimation. Sonic Visualiser's "Tempo and beat tracker" plugin also has a "Tempo" estimation function, but in my brief testing, its results were not anywhere near as good as the "Beats" estimation, but you can certainly have the plugin run both estimations separately and just export whichever one you think is more correct, just make sure the tab for the one you want to export is active before you go to export the annotation layer.
Victhorest

Postby Victhorest » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:49 pm

I tried but I can not find the Time option

Last edited by Victhorest on Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:06 pm

My first guess is that you did not install the Queen Mary plugin set properly. Download the plugin set from https://code.soundsoftware.ac.uk/projec ... gins/files (presumably you're using Windows, so get the .zip file there). Then three of the files in that zip have to be placed at a particular folder depending on your Windows installation:
Queen Mary plugin set instructions wrote:QM Vamp Plugins
===============

To Install
==========

This package contains plugins for Win32 systems (Windows XP, Vista).

To install them, copy the files

qm-vamp-plugins.dll
qm-vamp-plugins.cat
qm-vamp-plugins.n3

into the folder

"C:\Program Files\Vamp Plugins\"

or, if you are using a 64-bit version of Windows,

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Vamp Plugins\"

You may also install them elsewhere, if you set the VAMP_PATH environment
variable to a semicolon-separated list of the folders in which plugins
may be found. e.g., "C:\My Plugins;C:\Program Files\Vamp Plugins".

After I tested these steps just now and re-opened Sonic Visualizer, the "Tempo and beat tracker: Beats" became available for me.

Return to “Tutorials and Tools”