EOF 1.8RC12 - Now with Rocksmith 2014 support

A collection of helpful posts
This topic is 2 years and 4 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
wee little kid
m1999

Re: EOF 1.8RC12 - Now with Rocksmith 2014 support

Postby m1999 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:10 am

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't adding harmony support just mean taking the regular vox charting code and just changing the midi track name? Or is there more involved that I'm just not aware of?
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:29 pm

It would be more like adding additional vocal part tabs to the existing vocal track. Then there are special rules about how harmonies are supposed to be authored in Rock Band that would probably take plenty of work to make it nice to author in EOF.
1200+ Sygenysongs
BombDude24

Postby BombDude24 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:30 pm

The phrase lengths for harmony tracks should be cleaned up in Reaper, anyway, I think that adding the extra tabs for harmony parts, and to be able to see the notes on the other harmony tracks while working on a different one would be a really nice feature to have. The way I've been doing harmonies thus far, with separate instances of EoF open, is fine too for now.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:45 pm

New hotfix is up. Non pro guitar specific changes are as follows:
*Fixed a bug where using SHIFT+click when no note/lyric was already selected would add more than one note to the selection.
*Fixed a bug where using SHIFT+click into empty space could cause selected lyrics to be moved unexpectedly.
*Improved the select/deselect functions to allow notes to be selected/deselected for being longer/shorter than one grid snap of the current length by specifying a threshold of 0.
*Updated Feedback import to recognize the the GHL guitar and bass tracks MoonScraper uses (ExpertGHLGuitar, HardGHLGuitar, MediumGHLGuitar, EasyGHLGuitar, ExpertGHLBass, HardGHLBass, MediumGHLBass and EasyGHLBass). If the chart being imported has both normal AND GHL tracks for either guitar or bass, EOF will ask which of each guitar/bass track to import (either normal guitar or GHL and either normal bass or GHL bass). If a GHL track is imported, GHL mode is enabled for that track automatically.
*Updated save logic to write diff_guitarghl and diff_bassghl INI tags appropriately when there is a guitar/bass GHL mode track in the project during save.
Last edited by raynebc on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ilblud91

Postby ilblud91 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:43 pm

I've noticed that when I convert songs from CON format to Phase Shift (ie. C3 customs), then open them in EOF, the notes are desynced from the beat lines (but still line up with the audio). Not sure if this is the same issue that was being discussed on the last page.

For an example, most of the Guns N' Roses songs I've converted have suffered this issue.
ilblud91

Postby ilblud91 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:46 pm

https://mega.nz/#!wPpVVYRY!3MeF11dgtlST ... pltzDjDaA4

Here's a link to two versions of Get in the Ring by GNR, which was a C3 custom. One hasn't been opened in EOF, and the other was opened and saved with no other changes.

Edit: And for what it's worth, I use RC11 because I like the simpler interface, but I downloaded the newest revision and hotfix to see if it remedied the problem and it didn't.

Second edit: And this only seems to happen with CON conversions and nothing else. I've converted all kinds of .chart files (from GH3 to CH) and never have this problem otherwise. That makes me think it's an issue with the conversion, but the sync issues don't occur unless I open the song in EOF.
Last edited by ilblud91 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:49 pm

I can see that the first note of the imported MIDI imports as being out of grid snap. Here are the first two tempo changes in the original MIDI:

Code: Select all

Delta file pos=0x2C   Deltas=0   Real time=0.000000ms   Delta time=0   Adj. real time=0.000000ms   Event file pos=0x2D   Meta Event: Time Signature: 4/4 (Num=4, Den=(2^)2, Metro=18, 32nds=8)
Delta file pos=0x34   Deltas=11520   Real time=12000.000000ms   Delta time=11520   Adj. real time=12000.000000ms   Event file pos=0x36   Meta Event: Set Tempo=472441 MPQN (126.999985 BPM)

The chart begins at 120BPM and then 24 beats later (a time division of 480 delta ticks * 24 beats = 11520 delta ticks) changes the tempo to 127BPM (or at least rounds to that number).

The first guitar note in the MIDI is meant to occur at that tempo change, but instead of being at delta position 11520, it's at 11521:

Code: Select all

Delta file pos=0x17F61   Deltas=120   Real time=12000.984252ms   Delta time=11521   Adj. real time=12000.984252ms   Event file pos=0x17F62   Event: Note on (Channel=1): Note #=60, Velocity=95

This means that it was either an authoring error in the original chart or this is a math error that occurred somehow when converting to/from CON format. I imagine the other out of sync notes are the same way, but EOF has some fast ways to correct these out of sync notes, especially the following: For each track, use "Track>Repair grid snap" and in the case of this guitar track, enter the suggested value of 9ms and it resnaps all notes to the nearest position of ANY grid snap, not just the current grid snap value. You'd have to use a newer version of EOF for lots of these new features though.
ilblud91

Postby ilblud91 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:54 am

I tried the fix you suggested and it corrected some of the less egregious sync issues but left the larger ones intact (understandable considering that the grid is smaller than the amount of space the notes are displaced).

I think it has to be an error in the conversion process. I tried a Between the Buried and Me chart that was uploaded for both Clone Hero and RB. The RB conversion had the same sync issues as most songs from C3, while the CH conversion was perfect. What I can't figure out is why these issues only manifest when I open the song to edit it.
ilblud91

Postby ilblud91 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:29 pm

While I agree that the errors are in the midi, I have tested my theory with other songs where the desync issues are a lot more prominent (50-100 ms off) and it definitely only shows itself after trying to edit the file. The beatlines sync up perfectly before then. Also, the notes themselves aren't going out of sync with the audio. It's just the beatmap. The songs still function, they just look awful, and fixing the beatlines one at a time takes forever. I keep going back to something happening in the conversion, because even CON versions of songs from this site that sync up perfectly if I use the original PS version (beard's conversions, for example) have this issue. Maybe I should bring this up with the C3 folks.

Thanks for looking into this though, I do appreciate the insight.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:44 pm

If there are mid-beat tempo changes, EOF will insert a beat marker for each. This doesn't desync the chart, but adds more beats than were originally there. If you don't want that, you can enable the "Imports drop mid beat tempos" Import preference and then import the MIDI, but the tempo map will not be identical to the original. You can allow EOF to store the tempo map in the project as raw MIDI data, and that gets used as the tempo map during MIDI export.

If it can be demonstrated that EOF actually imports a MIDI wildly different than it should (such as by showing that timestamps for beats or notes are incorrect compared to what's shown in Reaper), I'll look into it.
ilblud91

Postby ilblud91 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:51 pm

So I tried actually playing the GNR chart saved and altered (to remove non-sustain note tails) in the newest EOF, and none of my changes would stick. So I went back and saved it in the old version I normally use and the changes stuck. The weirdest part is when I went into PS to test it, the tempo map in the actual song doesn't match what the editor is showing.

https://imgur.com/a/XjafY
Last edited by ilblud91 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:11 pm

Then it's probably like I previously suggested where EOF will store the original tempo map into the project and re-use it during save if you told it to do so. You can tell if this is the case for the currently open project by opening "Song>Manage raw MIDI tracks" and looking for an entry called "(TEMPO)". If there is one, you can delete it from this dialog and EOF will use the project's current beat map during export. I'll update EOF's title bar to indicate when the project has a stored tempo map that will override the project's tempo map during MIDI export.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:32 pm

New hotfix is up. Non pro guitar specific changes are as follows:
*Updated MIDI export to allow a GHL track's manually given name (from Track>Rename) to be used as the track name in the MIDI, allowing the author to use PART RHYTHM and PART GUITAR COOP to be used to author the GHL tracks and rename them as PART GUITAR GHL or PART BASS GHL and have both normal guitar/bass and GHL guitar/bass in the same chart, for use in Clone Hero.
*Updated the render logic so that the GHL mode status of the active track is reflected in the program's title bar.
*Improved MIDI import to check for the presence of both normal and GHL versions of the guitar and bass tracks, and to prompt which version of each to import.
*Updated Feedback import to recognize open notes and B3 gems in GHL tracks.
*Improved the track clone functions to also clone the track's manually given name if defined (Track>Rename).
*Added a "2D render RS piano roll" preference that adds some coloration to the piano roll (goldenrod colored measure markers, color-coded string lines).
*Added 3D preview logic to uniquely display forced HOPO open notes, each of which will draw as a rectangle with a smaller black rectangle inside it.
*Added logic to update the HOPO status in the 3D preview immediately when gems are added.
*Rewrote Feedback import's HOPO detection to use GH3 rules: A single fret notes 65/192 beats or closer to the previous note/chord and isn't identical to the previous note (in terms of what frets are used) is a HOPO unless a "N 5 #" toggle HOPO marker reverses the status and forces it to be strummed. A toggle HOPO marker must be used to apply HOPO status to a chord, which is otherwise always forced to be strummed.
*Added a GH3 option to "Edit>Preview HOPO" that will have the 3D preview reflect forced or automatic HOPO status as per GH3 HOPO rules.
*Updated the title bar to display "(Stored tempo map)" when a tempo track is stored in the project from MIDI import, to make it more obvious that the project's tempo map will be overridden during MIDI export.

Return to “Tutorials and Tools”