EOF 1.8RC12 - Now with Rocksmith 2014 support

A collection of helpful posts
This topic is 2 years and 4 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

EOF 1.8RC12 - Now with Rocksmith 2014 support

Postby raynebc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:51 pm

For the time being, only release candidates are posted on this site. Between release candidates, however, I release hotfixes that are available here:
http://ignition.customsforge.com/eof

Hi, folks. Lots of work has gone into this release so far, and it's time for some heavy beta testing. Pro guitar import/export is mostly completed. Feel free to download the Windows binary:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ih70h6p67iy77ka/eof1.8RC12.zip
*If you use a non QWERTY US English keyboard layout, and keyboard controls/shortcuts aren't working for you, please make a post describing what keyboard shortcuts aren't working, and what the Info panel says the "CODE" and "ASCII" values are after you use each of the keyboard controls in question.

The Mac binary (made 4-27-2020):
http://ignition.customsforge.com/eof/download/474
Unless you have oggenc and LAME installed (these don't come with the Mac build for licensing reasons), you won't be able to have EOF automatically convert from MP3 to OGG when you create a new chart. If you have trouble getting those set up on your system, here is a package that should get them installed and usable by EOF:
http://www.t3-i.com/apps/eof/downloads/ ... lities.pkg

or compile it on Windows/Linux/Mac from the SVN source:
http://code.google.com/p/editor-on-fire/source/checkout

Pro guitar and dance charts created in EOF can be played in the latest release of Phase Shift:
http://www.dwsk.co.uk/index_phase_shift.html

Adding pro guitar notes:
To place a pro guitar note, just use the standard way to add gems for your selected input method. New string gems will be set to fret 0 (open) by default. The main way to set pro guitar note parameters is to select the note(s) and press 'N' or open Note>Pro Guitar Mode Notation>Edit Pro Guitar Note. Here, you can set various things such as the tablature (fret values) for the note(s) and change various statuses. It won't let you use a fret value higher than the track's limit, which is 17 by default, but can be changed from the Pro Guitar mode notation menu with Set Max Fret Value. Rock Band doesn't have any special handling for palm muted notes, but EOF has that there just for added information for now. All the standard manipulations such as increasing/decreasing tail length, moving, transposing, toggling lanes, etc. should work as with the standard 5 lane tracks.

Keyboard shortcuts:
To change the fret values for all selected notes' used strings, use CTRL+~ through CTRL+0 (not on the number pad) to set fret values 0 through 10, CTRL+F1 through CTRL+F12 to set fret values 11 through 22, or CTRL+X to set the strings to be left hand muted. CTRL++ and CTRL+- will increase or decrease the fret values of selected notes by one. By default, these fret shortcuts are applied to all strings, but you can change them to only apply to certain strings by using SHIFT+F1 through SHIFT+F6 to toggle on or off the shortcut for strings 1 through 6 respectively. Pressing SHIFT+Esc will disable the shortcuts for all strings, and SHIFT+F7 through SHIFT+F12 will enable the shortcuts for all strings. Getting the hang of these shortcuts should decrease the amount of time it takes to chart a pro guitar track.

Fret catalog:
To name the selected fret catalog entry, open Song>Catalog>Edit Name and type a name of your choice. This name will be displayed in when the catalog entry is visible. You can use such catalog entries to store single chords or entire riffs, it's entirely up to you. Pasting from the fret catalog works similarly to before, but there is a system for how pro guitar notes are pasted into a five lane (legacy) track. By default, lanes 1 through 5 for each note are pasted as-is. However, in the edit pro guitar note dialog window, you can use the checkboxes to define the "legacy" makeup of each pro guitar note. When you have a catalog entry containing pro guitar notes visible when a "legacy" track is active, EOF will include the text "Would paste from ... as" to indicate how the notes will paste. So if a pro guitar note's legacy values are set to 1 and 5, it will paste into the regular guitar track as a 1+5 chord.

Auto apply:
When you click OK on the edit pro guitar note dialog window, EOF will offer automatically update the selected note(s) or apply the updated information to other identical (same used pro guitar lanes and same used fret values) pro guitar notes in the track. If the name field is empty, it will search for names already applied to other identical notes in the track and offer to fill in the name for you. If the name field is not empty, EOF will offer to apply the name to all identical notes in the track. If all 5 legacy value checkboxes are unchecked, EOF will offer search for other identical notes in the track difficulty and offer to fill in the legacy values for you. If at least 1 of the legacy value checkboxes are checked, EOF will offer to apply the legacy value checkboxes to all identical notes in the track difficulty. This should help minimize the amount of duplicated work needed to chart a pro guitar track and an accompanying expert legacy guitar track.

Legacy view:
In order to assist down-charting a pro guitar track to a legacy track, you can enable "legacy view" by pressing SHIFT+L or using Song>Enable Legacy View when a pro guitar track is active. This will show the entire pro guitar track as it would paste into a legacy track, allowing you to fine tune the legacy values for each note easily. When Legacy View is active, you can use the standard method for editing regular guitar notes and it will act like a normal 5 lane instrument track. If you change a note in this mode, it won't automatically change all other identical pro guitar notes' legacy values in the track difficulty, but you can open the edit pro guitar note dialog menu for the desired note and just press OK to have EOF apply the changed legacy values to the appropriate notes. You can even create new notes in legacy view, and the new note will be created with default fret values of 0 for applicable lanes. If you haven't manually set the legacy value checkboxes for any notes, those notes will render with a maroon background color in the piano roll to alert you. This way you won't be able to accidentally miss any notes when you work on down-charting.

Open bass guitar notes:
EOF will allow you to place open bass strum notes (usable in Phase Shift) by opening the Song menu and selecting "Enable open strum bass". This will add a sixth lane for PART BASS, and you can add notes to lane 6 to represent open strums. One thing to note is that open bass notes cannot be used in chords, as that defeats the purpose, so you cannot make a 2+6 chord or any other note combined with the open bass strum. Also, due to the way Guitar Hero denotes open bass strums in the MIDI file, when importing a MIDI file with forced lane 1 bass HOPOs, EOF will prompt you whether to import such notes as open strum bass notes (Guitar Hero notation) or you can import them normally as lane 1 HOPO (Rock Band notation). When saving a chart with open strum bass, EOF will use a custom marker that will not conflict with FoF/FoFiX but will be recognized by future releases of Phase Shift.

Pro guitar import:
Most of Rock Band 3's pro guitar notation is handled by EOF, so by all means import the MIDIs and let me know if anything doesn't import correctly (ie. slide sections).

Image sequence export:
If you wanted to create a video of your chart, you may be worried about lag when using screen recording software. EOF has a solution to that problem by allowing you to create an image sequence (one PCX format image file for each frame of the chart, at a rate of 30 FPS). The PCX files are created with incrementing file names in a "sequence" sub folder of your chart's project folder. You can use the free VirtualDubMod (http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net/) application to create a video out of this sequence:

1. Open the image sequence (in VirtualDubMod, open File>Open video file and select the lowest number PCX file in the sequence. It will automatically load the other PCX files (as long as you don't disable the "Automatically load linked segments" option) as raw video frames.
2. Open Video>Frame Rate and change the source rate to 30 to match the 30FPS that EOF exported with.
3. Select your desired compression/filter/etc. settings in the Video menu. I usually go with the Xvid codec and perform two passes. For the first pass, select "Twopass - 1st pass" in the Xvid configuration options and then select "Save as" from the file menu. Then for the second pass, without changing any other settings, go back to Xvid configuration options and select "Twopass - 2nd pass". This time, you have to specify a target bitrate. Sometimes if I feel too lazy to pick a bitrate, I use the average bitrate given by the Xvid status window from the first pass, but you can pick any valid bitrate you want and then use File>Save as to overwrite the file created in the first pass of the compression. When it completes, you will have a video file without audio.
4. Use your favorite video editing application to "mux" in the audio for your chart. I usually go with one of the other VirtualDub releases (http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/) or (http://home.comcast.net/~fcchandler/stable/) for this because handling audio streams in VirtualDubMod just seems more complicated to me. You may need to convert your chart's audio to regular WAV format for this step, depending on the tool you are using. In VirtualDub, you would open the Audio menu, select "WAV Audio" and select your chart audio file. If you do provide the audio as a WAV file, make sure to enable the audio to be compressed again by selecting Audio>Full Processing Mode, then Audio>Compression and select your desired codec and settings. I usually use LAME MP3 and a constant (CBR) bitrate setting, constant bitrate is more reliable for audio/video synchronization in general.
5. Profit. Not really, but #4 was pretty much the last step. You can show the finished video to your friends, upload it someplace like Youtube or whatever you want.

An example of a video created by this process is here, showing the first pro guitar track I created:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu5AXfGinGI

I eventually want to have more options for the image sequence export, such as different picture file formats (allowing more options for which video editing software you can use to import the sequence with) and multiple instrument track sequence exports, but the feature isn't finished and set in stone, so the sky is the limit (figuratively, not literally).

PART KEYS
I forgot to mention that you can chart non pro keys as well. This should be similar to any other 5 lane track, except that all notes are allowed to overlap each other, just as with Rock Band 3's keyboard tracks. Phase Shift supports 5 lane keys tracks as of version 0.77.

Tremolo, trill, drum roll and special drum roll sections
I also forgot to mention that you can now author these new RB3 phrases via the Note menu. Tremolo sections are just a string of identical notes (using the same fret) that are played very quickly. Theoretically (in-game), you can pick as quickly as you want without losing streak as long as the notes specifically authored in the phrase are hit. In PART DRUMS, tremolo sections become "drum rolls". Trill sections are a string of notes that alternate between two different values (ie. for legacy guitar: Green, red, green, red, or for pro guitar: Fret 15, 17, 15, 17, etc.), and should generally be similar to HOPOs in a legacy guitar track. In a pro guitar track, the pull off must be timed correctly so that you pull off when the lower fretted note is to be be played (the oppose of a hammer on). In PART DRUMS, trill sections become "special drum rolls", basically drum rolls that use multiple lanes, such as cymbal swells.

Instrument and band difficulties
To set the difficulty tier for any instrument track, open Song>Set Track Difficulty while the track is active. Doing so when PART DRUMS is active will also allow you to define the pro drum difficulty since it does not have a separate track. Doing so when PART VOCALS is active will also allow you to define the harmony vocal difficulty, since harmonies will eventually be charted as separate "difficulties" (tabs) of the one vocal track. You can set the band difficulty tier in Song Properties.

PART DANCE
For now, this works like a 4 lane track, just place notes on lanes 1 through 4.

Rock Band customs
EOF now saves a MIDI file that is more compatible with Rock Band's Magma authoring utility. Although Magma has several requirements for charts that are covered by its own documentation, some of them are handled by EOF (the mix events in PART DRUMS, the BEAT track and some required events in the EVENTS track). If you want to try your chart out in Rock Band, make sure to use the "Reset offset to zero" function in the Beat menu, as Rock Band charts require a MIDI delay of 0. If your chart has a nonzero MIDI delay and you don't reset it back to zero before putting it in Rock Band, it will be out of sync.

Guitar tuning
EOF will allow you to set the number of guitar frets, the number of strings and the tuning for each in the Songs>Pro Guitar menu. By default, guitar/bass tunings are in standard and you define how many half steps each string is tuned up (positive number) or down (negative number). When entering a string's tuning, the name of the note the string would play is listed on the side to help you keep track. If you enter a tuning that EOF recognizes, it will display the tuning name (ie. "Drop D tuning"). In order for chord detection to work properly, you must set the correct tuning for the pro guitar/bass tracks.

Pro guitar strum direction
You can set the strum direction with Note>Pro Guitar>Cycle strum direction (or the CTRL+U) shortcut to have it change between strum downward, strum upward or back to the default of no direction specified.

I think this covers most of the new stuff. Although I can't guarantee the EOF project format won't change before the stable release, there aren't any more plans to change the EOF project file format at this time, so it's pretty safe to start charting now and your project should load correctly when the stable 1.8 release is made. Please provide feedback for bugs or ideas for improvement, or ask questions if you have any.
Last edited by raynebc on Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 167 times in total.
ctrl-alt-deleted
kamakazikilla

Re: EOF 1.8b pro guitar charting now available

Postby kamakazikilla » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:11 pm

this looks fantastic... i'll fret with this from now on, and i'll let you know if i find anything (although it's unlikely because i just fret guitar on expert, but who knows....)

any real differences other than the added features??
My Ongoing Song Thread <--old

############
Union Hero <--- where my new work is being kept
############

Make A Request Here!! I'LL FRET YOU A SONG =D

EOF Sync Tutorial And FAQ
GH Style Notes For Phase Shift
Rock Band Style Notes For Phase Shift
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:09 pm

The main fixes since 1.71 are:
*Correcting the import of MIDI files that have mid-beat tempo changes. This usually only was a problem for charts where people were odd enough to do this in Feedback.
*Fixed a bug in lyric export that could cause undefined behavior if there was a problem with the lyrics.
*Fixed a bug where you couldn't use Pg Dn to seek to the first beat marker if the chart was seeked before the first beat marker.
*Fixed a crash that could occur with copy functions after importing a MIDI that is longer than the loaded audio.
*Corrected some bugs involving expert and pro drum statuses.

Other than that, there's been a strong amount of code de-duplication and performance enhancements, and EOF's project file format and note/track handling has been overhauled to be able to support tracks and notes in an abstract manner. This will make it easier to add new types of notes (ie. pro key notes) in the future.
ctrl-alt-deleted
kamakazikilla

Postby kamakazikilla » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:19 pm

nice!! this sounds cool... also, the beatlines look different?? or maybe i'm just crazy...
My Ongoing Song Thread <--old

############
Union Hero <--- where my new work is being kept
############

Make A Request Here!! I'LL FRET YOU A SONG =D

EOF Sync Tutorial And FAQ
GH Style Notes For Phase Shift
Rock Band Style Notes For Phase Shift
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:10 am

also, the beatlines look different?? or maybe i'm just crazy...

This was changed in 1.7 IIRC. White lines represent the start of a measure. By default a chart has no time signature settings so no measures will be shown, hence the gray beat lines.
"Stop putting so much stock in all of this stuff, live your life for those that you love." - Relient K
EOF - A Song Editor for Frets On Fire
'_>'
SUSAltd

Postby SUSAltd » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:37 am

THIS IS ALMOST AS COOL AS SOMETHING THAT IS SLIGHTLY COOLER THAN THIS

I will attempt to find something easy to chart Pro for. :D

Spoiler:

ImageCharting Achievements:
1st place 2009 April Novice Guitar competition
3rd place 2009 May Expert Guitar competition
4th place 2009 June Expert Guitar competition
1st place 2010 February Guitar competition
1st place 2010 April Guitar Competition
2nd place 2010 May Guitar Competition
1st place 2010 June Guitar Competition
1st place 2010 August Guitar Competition
1st place 2010 December Guitar Competition

CaptainToasteh

Postby CaptainToasteh » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:30 pm

I just finished making Expert PRO guitar for "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Metallica. I essentially just copied over the Expert guitar track and worked in the actual tablature.
http://www.mediafire.com/?b1nb8wmt19bbibb

I'll be uploading a video soon.
I'm in your closet.
Heka Adonis 69

Postby Heka Adonis 69 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:24 pm

SUSAltd wrote:THIS IS ALMOST AS COOL AS SOMETHING THAT IS SLIGHTLY COOLER THAN THIS

2nd'd.

I have a suggestion though. The fretting would get a lot faster, if there'd be "next" and "previous note" buttons on the PRO-edit window.
Anyways, AWSUM!
HekaAdonis69 and Fristi61 present...
one of the best metal-hero's out there...
genres vary from symphonic power to Norwegian black...
gathering up more than 130 awesome, originally fretted songs...
introducing some of the hardest drum-charts ever...
and a retarded advertise on one's signature...

HA69 & Henk's Ultimate Metal-Journey

Everything mentioned above and even still, MUCH MORE! Check it out!

********** MUSIC BY ME **********
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:55 pm

I'll look into adding a next and previous button to the edit dialog window. That would probably help when up-charting a legacy guitar track to a pro guitar track, but I'm not sure how that would make charting a pro guitar track from scratch much faster. Do note that if you need to edit several notes to be the exact same note/chord, you can select several at once and apply the fret values in the edit pro guitar note window once and it will apply those to all selected notes.
Interflop

Postby Interflop » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:56 pm

Is there any way to actually play Pro Guitar charts now?
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:03 pm

Phase Shift is getting close. EOF will have pro guitar MIDI export added as soon as we're certain that the import is completely accurate, and people testing this beta by importing RB3 MIDIs will definitely speed up that process.
Interflop

Postby Interflop » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Does Phase Shift support Pro Drums then? Or do they at least have plans to? I didn't know they were working on this.
What? Pumpkin? What?
Paturages

Postby Paturages » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:33 am

Woah, this looks pretty darn cool. I might try it out later today.
Songs Thread | YouTube Channel
December 2009 Guitar Fretting Contest : 2nd place
         April 2010 Guitar Fretting Contest : Tied 2nd place (Top 5)
     August 2010 Guitar Fretting Contest : 2nd place
   October 2010 Guitar Fretting Contest : 3rd place
November 2010 Guitar Fretting Contest : 1st place

October 2010 Drums Fretting Contest : 2nd place
Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:26 am

For a simple *looking* program, this has become pretty damn powerful. So much simpler than Reaper, but this has most of the same features.

This has become the standard for most users.

So pro-drums.....Any idea when you guys might begin to work on this?

My Song Thread
Current Songs: 98
Secret Project in the Works! Check this signature for active updates!
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.

Return to “Tutorials and Tools”