EOF 1.8RC12 - Now with Rocksmith 2014 support

A collection of helpful posts
This topic is 2 years and 5 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
omgyouredead
ryanpanties

Re: EOF 1.8b36 - Now with tempo map storage/export

Postby ryanpanties » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:03 pm

thanks raynebc. :2thumbsup:

"Halve BPM" will halve the number of beats until the next tempo change, except that if there were already an odd number of beats (ie. 3), the last beat before the tempo change is anchored and left as-is.

Could an option be added to shift tempo changes to the nearest position that creates an even number of beats? I realize this throws the whole midi (and in turn the notes) slightly out of sync, but it's a logical first step to properly fixing a double-bpm chart that was generated with tempo changes on odd counts, rather than end up with the odd-man-out beats twice the bpm of the pairs before. As it is I'm doing this by hand prior to using the halve bpm function. Essentially, I'm talking about a break-sync-on-the-way-to-fixing-sync function, and I realize that may seem a bit illogical.... if this were to prove plausible it should definitely include an "are you sure" window reminding you that the resulting midi will need to be re-synced.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:49 pm

ryanpanties wrote:Could an option be added to shift tempo changes to the nearest position that creates an even number of beats?

I don't understand this request, could you mark up a picture or something demonstrating the problem to be solved?

It's time for a new beta release. Changes since 1.8b36:
*Added more special cleanup during the creation of the MIDI that will prevent HOPO phrases from ending at the same position an opposite HOPO phrase starts. This was previously able to happen in specialized circumstances such as a HOPO off note overlapping both a HOPO off note AND a HOPO on note.
*Added additional logic to allow section names to be loaded from some Guitar Hero (ie. Smash Hits) files that define the sections as if they were lyrics.
*Added a user preference for a minimum length to apply to all 5 lane guitar gems, since custom songs will not play correctly in Guitar Hero if they are too short (such as 1ms).
*Fixed problems that prevented the Paste From menu functions from working in the dance track.
*Added functions to seek to the next (F3) or previous (CTRL+SHIFT+F3) instance of the current fret catalog entry. It will be considered a match as long as the gem/fret pattern matches, the notes don't have to have the same length of spacing.
*Added an option (Song>Catalog>Double width) to display the fret catalog with the full width of EOF's window, to better display long fret catalog entries.
*Added a keyboard shortcut for paste from catalog (CTRL+SHIFT+C).
*Fixed a crash bug in the seek by grid snap logic that would occur if the seek position was before the first beat marker.
*Added more Feedback input method style controls (left/right makes grid snap larger/smaller, up/down seeks a grid snap forward/backward, pg up/dn seeks a measure forward/backward, 'A' toggles anchor of a beat if the seek position is on that beat, 'Del' deletes a note at the seek position if no notes are explicitly selected).
*Changed the "Swap Pg Up/Dn seek controls" preference to "Use dB style seek controls", which (in addition to changing the pg up/dn seek directions) will make the up/down keys to seek forward/backward (instead of transpose notes).

GH import and Feedback input method have been fleshed out a little more. For the latter, I still need to work out a SHIFT+seek note select system. I also need to see if I can make a full screen 3D preview option, although I'm not sure how ugly it will look without lots of work. The fret catalog is also improved a bit, and hopefully the new search functions will be useful for charting lower difficulties.
omgyouredead
ryanpanties

Postby ryanpanties » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:24 pm

raynebc wrote:I don't understand this request, could you mark up a picture or something demonstrating the problem to be solved?

The problem to be solved can be demonstrated by a midi that has been halve-bpm'ed through EOF despite having odd numbers of beats to be dealt with... you end up with a file that is mostly fixed.... but a beat here and there are left at double-bpm. I didn't like this, and adjusted time changes manually.

Also, I appreciate the additional Feedback-style controls. :thumbup:
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: EOF 1.8b37 - Now with tempo map storage/export

Postby raynebc » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:01 pm

If I understand correctly, you'd like an automated way for it to do this for each of those odd beats?
1. The number of beats between the first and second anchors (we'll call them "A" and "B") is odd in number:

2. Halve BPM leaves that last beat before anchor B at its original tempo (to preserve the beat sync) and causes it to be anchored (we'll call it anchor "C"):

3. It's desired to break beat sync and instead just leave an even number of equal length beats between the original two anchors A and B, so delete anchor C:

4. Select a beat before anchor B and use Beat>Add to insert a fourth beat between anchor A and B. There are now 4 evenly spaced beats between the original two anchors:

Is there a purpose to do this except for a cosmetic reason? As you mention, this breaks the beat sync of the tempo map, and will make it odd to play even though all notes will retain their original timing.
omgyouredead
ryanpanties

Postby ryanpanties » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:42 pm

raynebc wrote:If I understand correctly, you'd like an automated way for it to do this for each of those odd beats?

Is there a purpose to do this except for a cosmetic reason? As you mention, this breaks the beat sync of the tempo map, and will make it odd to play even though all notes will retain their original timing.

Yes, we're talking about the same thing. My work-around was done moving the bpm change back a beat in a feedback chart (as though following a 4/4 in a 3/4) prior to using the eof halve bpm function, then re-checking the sync afterwards. It's arguably cosmetic, but I do find the difference in beatlines caused by the double-bpm beat to be distracting in gameplay, so it is something I like to fix on my own charts, and many of my older songs were done with double-high bpms.

Since it is mostly cosmetic, and only applies to special circumstances, and still doesn't perfectly preserve sync..... maybe there's no reason to add this function, but I'd use it.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:40 pm

Since it's pretty easy to do with the existing functionality, I probably will leave it at that. If you wanted fewer beats to lose sync while doing this change, you could probably anchor the beat before anchor C from the previous example (creating anchor D), delete the beat containing anchor C, and then optionally using either Double BPM or add beat when anchor D is selected.
Wester Toes
kawaii_kumiko69

Postby kawaii_kumiko69 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:54 pm

Is anyone else having trouble with Ctrl+C for copying? It seems to do nothing so I have to use the Edit menu instead.
Guac is extra
vandorb12

Postby vandorb12 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:41 am

kawaii_kumiko69 wrote:Is anyone else having trouble with Ctrl+C for copying? It seems to do nothing so I have to use the Edit menu instead.

Same here for the latest Mac version.
YouTube (Rocksmith!)
The one, the only, the fretter of The Barebones.

Spoiler:Facebook

22harp22

Postby 22harp22 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:42 am

I just downloaded today, and while my first midi import went well, any time I have tried to either make a new song or import a midi, it crashes with the typical windows crash error.

I have tried importing both ogg files and mp3s, but either way, it crashes as soon as it tries to go into the main interface.

What could be happening?
Prog on the rocks
narutostarwars123456

Postby narutostarwars123456 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:28 am

I've been having similar problems, I'll send you my log file as well, if it is any help.
Prog on the rocks
narutostarwars123456

Postby narutostarwars123456 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:21 pm

Thank you rayn! I appreciate all the work you've put into this!

Return to “Tutorials and Tools”