EOF 1.8RC12 - Now with Rocksmith 2014 support

A collection of helpful posts
This topic is 2 years and 5 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
aka drumbilical
italianstal1ion

Re: EOF 1.8b14 - Now with five lane drum support

Postby italianstal1ion » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:08 pm

I'm getting a lot of lag trying to edit a large file. The .ogg is 38.6 mb, and the song lags, but the notes don't. By 2 measures in, the song is about 2 measures off from the actual notes, and it gets worse as it goes on. I don't have any problem running the chart in Feedback though. Is there any way to turn the 3D display off or something like that to reduce lag? I'm in 640x480 display.
Index of all Drum Topics on the Forum in one convenient place
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Drum Project 7 Released!
Drum Project 8 Released!
Drum project 9 Released!!
Image My personal topic.
Can't get enough?

Spoiler:Image Feedback + EOF Pro Notation
Image Albelgim collaboration
If you appreciate my work and would like to see more, a donation would certainly motivate me! Thank you.

Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:18 pm

That OGG file must be extremely long or some ridiculously high bit/sample rate. It should be easy to an option to hide the 3D rendering (which is probably the most processor intensive), Allegro 4 just isn't an extremely optimized for certain things. Would you be willing to send me the chart files for some testing? I might be able to add some more user optional tweaks to make it play smoother.
Pro Rock Band
RinuX

Postby RinuX » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:46 pm

I'm really impressed by the evolution of this softW since the last time I came here.... that is just .. GREAT !! thanks to you all =)
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:51 am

I'm getting a lot of lag trying to edit a large file. The .ogg is 38.6 mb, and the song lags, but the notes don't. By 2 measures in, the song is about 2 measures off from the actual notes, and it gets worse as it goes on.

If the audio is lagging you should try increasing the buffer size. I usually go in increments of 4096 until it stops lagging. If the song is a higher bit rate or sample rate it can take longer to decode the audio. Having a larger buffer helps compensate for the longer decoding time. Also, disabling vsync can help (File->Settings).
"Stop putting so much stock in all of this stuff, live your life for those that you love." - Relient K
EOF - A Song Editor for Frets On Fire
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Re: EOF 1.8b15 - Now with five lane drum support

Postby raynebc » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:14 am

Bigjoe5 wrote:Yeah - whenever other chords appear within the arpeggio phrase, RB3 tries to name those as well. Have a Nice Day has a lot of ornamentation in the guitar part, which effectively amounts to holding one chord shape and making small alterations to it throughout the phrase. In these sections, I'd like the game to only display a name for the first chord in the arpeggio. There is a midi note used to hide chord names in RB3, isn't there?

I checked out the custom pro guitar upgrade for "Have a Nice Day", and the arpeggio phrases aren't being used in the way that they're meant for (they should be used for broken chords, not chord changes). Besides that, you'll probably need to delete the chord name text events (EOF's deprecated chord naming system) from the MIDI, as Magma refused to build the project for me because of their presence. Magma also has a problem with the single string note you have before the A5 chord at around measure 87 (it reports "Error: fret < 16"), I'm not sure what to do to resolve it. I thought it could have been that the chord and the previous note were too close (about 1/50 measure apart), but deleting the first note didn't fix it. The star power phrase at measure 44 of the pro guitar track doesn't line up with the star power phrase in pro bass, so Magma complains about that. Magma also complains about the star power phrase at measure 7 being longer for the bass track than for guitar, and again for the star power phrase near measure 45. In the end, I couldn't get Magma to stop erroring about mismatches in overdrive phrases between guitar and pro guitar, even though they should be equal. Other than that, the upgrade MIDI might turn out to work just fine in-game after some of the above mentioned changes. I have to say that the pro chart looks pretty sweet, but if you release it, make sure to chart lower difficulties for unskilled guitarists (like me) who can only play medium pro guitar :tongue: .

italianstal1ion wrote:I'm getting a lot of lag trying to edit a large file. The .ogg is 38.6 mb, and the song lags, but the notes don't. By 2 measures in, the song is about 2 measures off from the actual notes, and it gets worse as it goes on. I don't have any problem running the chart in Feedback though. Is there any way to turn the 3D display off or something like that to reduce lag? I'm in 640x480 display.

It turns out the song was over 34 minutes long, but I found disabling the 3D rendering didn't help. Doubling my buffer did seem to relieve the issue, but it turned out that the 2D rendering was the bottleneck here, possibly something to do with the large number of beat markers and related processing. In any case, I've added options in the Preferences menu to disable rendering the 2D window, 3D window and/or information panel. I've also added an option to disable sound processing (volumes and sound cues) to minimize the amount of processing that occurs during the OGG playback code. This should provide a good amount of flexibility for helping reduce stuttering during playback besides altering the buffer size, vsync, smooth playback options, etc. I will spend some time between now and the next beta trying to improve the 2D rendering to make it faster, but if you want to just test your chart sync by listening to sound cues and watching the 3D panel, disabling the 2D rendering may work as well for you as it did for me. I also found the 2D rendering would generally be smooth for this chart (with my lower buffer size) if I played it back at 50% speed, which won't get you very far very fast on such a long chart, but at least it is usable that way.

And it's time for another beta. Changes since 1.8b14:
*Updated project save/load and paste logic to correctly handle ghost notes.
*Corrected string number issues in the pro guitar tuning and note edit dialogs. Strings are now correctly numbered regardless of whether the track uses 4, 5 or 6 strings.
*Corrected the 2D display of pro guitar tracks so that the lowest gauge string is always displayed on the bottom of the editor window (like guitar tablature).
*Updated EOF to remember the previously active track difficulty when EOF starts.
*Added detection for third interval dyads (ie. D3), bringing the number of detectable chords/dyads to 336.
*Improved name rendering so that the same name "/" notation can find matches regardless of whether notes are named manually or if their names are detected.
*Added the option to not display note names (File>Preferences>Hide note names).
*Fixed an issue where the Mac version of EOF wouldn't behave properly when EOF leaves and re-enters the foreground.
*Updated the documentation to reflect the removal of the open strum bass versus lane 1 bass HOPO conflict, since EOF now uses a custom phrase marker for open strum bass.
*Restored the old slide export logic, as it may be possible to control these for use in RB3 by adding ghost notes at the end of the slide note.
*Fixed a bug that would cause trill, tremolo and arpeggio phrases not to offset with the chart when adjusting the MIDI delay and opting to have the chart moved with it.
*Added an experimental option (File>Preferences>Use fret hand pos of 0) to only export a fret hand position of 0 to MIDI during save (may be necessary when authoring Rock Band customs with dislike guitar parts for different difficulties of the same pro guitar track).
*Added some logging during MIDI export to mention missing events that were added or to indicate problems with the chart that could cause problems when using the MIDI with Rock Band.
*Made a minor optimization to the OGG callback function by caching whether the audio is mono or stereo.
*Added the option to disable all sound mixing (sound volume, sound cues, etc) to help improve playback performance if the song stutters uncontrollably (File>Preferences>Disable sound effects).
*Added the option to disable the 3D window from rendering to help improve playback performance if the song stutters uncontrollably (File>Preferences>Disable 3D rendering).
*Added the option to disable the 2D editor and lyric windows from rendering to help improve playback performance if the song stutters uncontrollably (File>Preferences>Disable 2D rendering).
*Added the option to disable the info panel from rendering to help improve playback performance if the song stutters uncontrollably (File>Preferences>Disable info panel).
*Modified the undo system to support an arbitrary number of save states, which has been increased from 8 to 100. In addition, EOF's log ID is now used in the undo/redo filenames, so it's extremely unlikely that using two instances of EOF at the same time will cause undo/redo files to overwrite each other (odds somewhere along the lines of one in a million).
*Corrected memory leaks involved with writing lyrics to MIDI upon save.

There were a huge variety of changes, some of other things like the pasted note merging with or deleting overlapped notes are still going to be worked on.
Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:22 pm

raynebc wrote:I could probably increase the undo number to something much higher initially (perhaps 100). Changing it to be unlimited would take some more work, but I could probably add it further on.

Alright, that's great. Looking forward to that.

My Song Thread
Current Songs: 98
Secret Project in the Works! Check this signature for active updates!
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.
aka drumbilical
italianstal1ion

Postby italianstal1ion » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:00 pm

Great update! Thanks.

Bug:
-EOF crashes sometimes when I go to File->Preferences and hit CANCEL with no song loaded, sometimes crashes when I hit OK. For example, if I go to Preferences with no song loaded, and hit CANCEL or OK, EOF crashes. If I go to Preferences and check "Inverted Notes" then I can hit OK and it won't crash. Then I can do the other options as I wish, hitting cancel or OK without it crashing, as long as Inverted Notes is checked. Maybe "Preferences" can just be grayed out unless a song is loaded, if thats easiest?

Yeah, the 2D panel is causing the most lag. Would it be possible to hide those arrows, the BPM markers, and the seconds display at the bottom? I know it's a lot to disable.

Also extra small feature, a Default Options button on the preferences? Would be useful for someone who wasn't sure what they had checked or something.
Index of all Drum Topics on the Forum in one convenient place
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Drum Project 7 Released!
Drum Project 8 Released!
Drum project 9 Released!!
Image My personal topic.
Can't get enough?

Spoiler:Image Feedback + EOF Pro Notation
Image Albelgim collaboration
If you appreciate my work and would like to see more, a donation would certainly motivate me! Thank you.

Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:01 pm

Thanks, I fixed the crash issue. It seemed that I had it run some coordinate related logic that didn't check to see if a chart was loaded, but it won't crash now. I will try to get the 2D rendering working faster without removing parts of the rendering, but if I can't get it to work normally, I could remove some of the extras like anchor markers, tempos, etc. Adding a reset preferences to defaults option should be pretty easy.
Bigjoe5

Postby Bigjoe5 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:30 pm

Well, setting left hand position to 0 seems to work - to an extent. Only problem is that when the left hand position is 0, all the notes played at fret 16 or above become 0s.

What on earth could HMX have been thinking? "Yeah, it's OK if we make the player stretch his hand a range of 15 frets or so, but after that, we'd better have the game set them all to 0." "Yup. Good call." :thumbdown:

Anyhow, it's not the end of the world if I have to chart just guitar and lead guitar in Guitar, and just bass and rhthym guitar in Bass. Lead guitar and standard guitar probably isn't a very popular combination, and while the inability to play rhythm and bass at the same time is a blow, it's not as bad as not being able to play lead and rhythm or lead and bass at the same time. This should work, assuming that at any time the lead guitarist is playing more than 15 frets above the rhythm guitarist, HMX's authoring has the player on lead.

For this though, I'll need to be able to assign left hand position to 0 for the pro guitar and pro bass tracks separately, if that won't be a lot of trouble.

raynebc wrote:I checked out the custom pro guitar upgrade for "Have a Nice Day", and the arpeggio phrases aren't being used in the way that they're meant for (they should be used for broken chords, not chord changes).
Yeah, I know, but it seemed like an appropriate use for them, since the chord changes look quite complex, and it would be very easy to miss the fact that you're basically holding one chord and making minor changes to it throughout.

I have to say that the pro chart looks pretty sweet, but if you release it, make sure to chart lower difficulties for unskilled guitarists (like me) who can only play medium pro guitar :tongue: .
At the very least, I'll probably include a version without all the ornamentation (so everything that appears in the arpeggio phrases in expert will just be the same repeated chord in Hard). As it is, its the only song I've made that I can't pass myself (so I can imagine how hard it would be for someone who didn't spend hours actually figuring out how to play it and charting it).
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:48 pm

I might have to come up with something like the ability to manually place left hand position notes, or perhaps this is a good time to implement manual note marking. Perhaps the best way to allow this to be done would be adding a seventh lane in the editor window. When you place a gem there, EOF would ask what note number, velocity and channel it should use. It may make the most sense for this manual note to be track specific instead of track difficulty specific. What are your thoughts on this?

In the mean time, I think I may make the fret hand position of 0 option only apply to pro guitar and not pro bass, because I really don't think there are lots of songs where multiple bass guitars are prominent at the same time.
Bigjoe5

Postby Bigjoe5 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:10 pm

raynebc wrote:I might have to come up with something like the ability to manually place left hand position notes, or perhaps this is a good time to implement manual note marking. Perhaps the best way to allow this to be done would be adding a seventh lane in the editor window. When you place a gem there, EOF would ask what note number, velocity and channel it should use. It may make the most sense for this manual note to be track specific instead of track difficulty specific. What are your thoughts on this?

Yes, that is a great idea, since it gives the user the same freedom that an ordinary midi editor would (thus pretty much taking away the last of Reaper's advantages in terms of RB charting, aside from the tracks that EOF doesn't support). I suppose it goes without saying there should be the option to add multiple notes in the same location in this "lane" as well - though this is the part that makes the UI tricky. How about just showing all the notes in the same spot in that lane as one note gem, then when the gem is right-clicked, EOF asks whether you want to add a note at that location (--> note selection window as when initially placing a note in this lane), delete a note at that location (--> window containing a list of all notes at that location), or delete all notes at that location? Then there's the issue of how to select single notes in a group for actions such as note elongation... How about when the gem is selected with a left click, this selects all the notes at that location by default. Then when it's selected, the user hits ctrl+(insert unused key here) and manually deselects the notes he doesn't want to be working with?

In the mean time, I think I may make the fret hand position of 0 option only apply to pro guitar and not pro bass, because I really don't think there are lots of songs where multiple bass guitars are prominent at the same time.

If that's the case, I could theoretically put rhythm and bass in Guitar, and guitar and lead in Bass as a workaround for now, but since that's kind of silly, I probably wouldn't be releasing any upgrades that way.

Edit: Forced HOPOs seem to work exactly as described in the pro guitar notes tutorial on Scorehero - midi note 102 marks forced hopos. By loading the midi in reaper and adding the note manually I was able to make the HOPO chords in verse 2 of Eye of the Tiger play properly. EOF just seems to be putting the note in a different channel (as you mentioned before, IIRC, but it doesn't seem to have any in-game effect).

Oh, and also, I'm happy to report that setting left hand position to 0 does not appear to affect the animations in any way.

Edit 2: I forgot to mention that the pen for pro guitar and pro bass is inverted again.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:54 pm

Bigjoe5 wrote:Yes, that is a great idea, since it gives the user the same freedom that an ordinary midi editor would (thus pretty much taking away the last of Reaper's advantages in terms of RB charting, aside from the tracks that EOF doesn't support).

I think for now, I'll have to settle for something more simplified, where placing left hand positions would be about as simple as placing bookmarks, except that fret hand positions can be reviewed/edited/deleted in a list similar to the All Events list. I think having a full blown piano roll style editor for raw MIDI notes would have to wait until we get the pro keys authoring going, since it would be very similar to what that authoring interface would need to have. Anything else would probably seem clunky.

Edit: Forced HOPOs seem to work exactly as described in the pro guitar notes tutorial on Scorehero - midi note 102 marks forced hopos. By loading the midi in reaper and adding the note manually I was able to make the HOPO chords in verse 2 of Eye of the Tiger play properly. EOF just seems to be putting the note in a different channel (as you mentioned before, IIRC, but it doesn't seem to have any in-game effect).

I'm quite sure I saw notes in some RB3 charts authored over channel 2, has anybody mentioned what this is for? Regarding the note 102 marker, it sounds like that forced HOPO on (like how authoring one note higher than lane 5 does for 5 lane tracks), but how would we author a forced HOPO off for pro guitar/bass?

Oh, and also, I'm happy to report that setting left hand position to 0 does not appear to affect the animations in any way.

That's good, it must be used for the chord helper (ie. when using the song trainers).

Edit 2: I forgot to mention that the pen for pro guitar and pro bass is inverted again.

Blast it! One of these times, I'll finally get this fixed!
Bigjoe5

Postby Bigjoe5 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:21 pm

raynebc wrote:I'm quite sure I saw notes in some RB3 charts authored over channel 2, has anybody mentioned what this is for? Regarding the note 102 marker, it sounds like that forced HOPO on (like how authoring one note higher than lane 5 does for 5 lane tracks), but how would we author a forced HOPO off for pro guitar/bass?
I've noticed as well that some notes are authored in other channels. Mr. Crowley, for example appears to use channels 1, 3 and 4 if I recall correctly, but I haven't tried to decipher the meaning. Also, I have no idea how to author forced HOPO off, and I'm not sure I've actually come across a chart that uses it. The intro for TtfaF would be my best guess, since the notes are so close together, but the beat is also really fast, so it's quite possible the notes are actually outside the threshold. I guess I'll probably explore some harder songs to see if it comes up.
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:09 pm

Channel 1 should be ghost notes (ie. from arpeggio sections) and channel 3 should be muted notes (notes that show an X instead of a fret number). I suppose channel 2 remains to be determined. I'll update EOF to export forced HOPO with note 102 markers, since you find that works correctly. If you find any other inconsistencies, please let me know.
wesjett08

Postby wesjett08 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:13 pm

I feel like a total idiot on this but ...

How do you export a midi or midi-ish file from EOF? I want to save what I've got and open it up and REAPER to check some stuff out.

Return to “Tutorials and Tools”