EOF 1.8RC12 - Now with Rocksmith 2014 support

A collection of helpful posts
This topic is 2 years and 4 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
ctrl-alt-deleted
kamakazikilla

Re: EOF 1.8b13 - Now with five lane drum support

Postby kamakazikilla » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:46 pm

idk if this is normal or why this happens, but here's what happened... i DL'd the newest release of EOF, it opened songs fine, but it refused to save them, it said "error saving/cannot save" or something like that... so to work around this i tried to save it as something else... that worked, however in phase shift the chart doesn't keep any changes made and just plays whatever the midi file says is there... the midi doesn't change at all with the .eof file... and whatever's charted in the .eof file doesn't show up in gameplay, although if i load it in eof all of my changes are still there... what do i do?
My Ongoing Song Thread <--old

############
Union Hero <--- where my new work is being kept
############

Make A Request Here!! I'LL FRET YOU A SONG =D

EOF Sync Tutorial And FAQ
GH Style Notes For Phase Shift
Rock Band Style Notes For Phase Shift
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:11 pm

The log file would help quite a bit. If it saved the changes to the EOF file but not the MIDI, it's probably because another program had the MIDI file open and locked. Did you still have Phase Shift running after it had played the chart?
Predator

Postby Predator » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:14 pm

Aaah, I see, I get it now. Thanks.

The only thing that doesn't work when I import the chart from Feedback is the time signatures, the time signature of the imported song becomes 4/4
ctrl-alt-deleted
kamakazikilla

Postby kamakazikilla » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:15 pm

nope... nothing else was running...

############
############

Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:30 pm

I need more to work with to help with either problem.

Predator wrote:The only thing that doesn't work when I import the chart from Feedback is the time signatures, the time signature of the imported song becomes 4/4

I need the .chart file to test with.

kamakazikilla wrote:nope... nothing else was running...

I need the log file to help see where the write access was denied.
ctrl-alt-deleted
kamakazikilla

Postby kamakazikilla » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:13 pm

okay, lemme up it for you quick since it's so freakin huge

-- Edit: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:16 pm --

http://www.mediafire.com/?7f5p4y24gvp077p

############
############

Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:40 pm

I'm not really sure what's going on there, looks like you had a couple EOFs running at the same time, so I don't know if it prevented normal logging, but it doesn't show the final log entry that occurs during a clean exit ("Logging stopped during program completion"). I'll see if I can add more logging during the save routine, but for now, try it again with just one EOF running so we get more consistent logging. In general, it will only report failure to save if the file is locked (ie. open by another program) and can't be opened for writing or there is another permission problem (ie. User Account Control restricting access to certain file directories unless the program was elevated to run as administrator).
ctrl-alt-deleted
kamakazikilla

Postby kamakazikilla » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:43 pm

well, considering something weird happened with my computer and lots of files were hidden, i'd assume there's some reason i can't properly access them...

-- Edit: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:09 pm --

nevermind... i found the problem... apparently if your files (midi/.eof) are marked as "hidden" you can't really use them...

############
############

aka drumbilical
italianstal1ion

Postby italianstal1ion » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Would it be possible to have a "remove all tails" function? At least for the drum part? (not including the BRE part). It really bothers me every time I make a new note and it has a little tail, it shouldn't have any tail at all.

Also when charting (special) drum rolls, do you make one/two notes as sustains and then mark that one or two notes as a roll, or do you highlight a section of notes of one or two lanes and then mark that as a roll?
Index of all Drum Topics on the Forum in one convenient place
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Drum Project 7 Released!
Drum Project 8 Released!
Drum project 9 Released!!
Image My personal topic.
Can't get enough?

Spoiler:Image Feedback + EOF Pro Notation
Image Albelgim collaboration
If you appreciate my work and would like to see more, a donation would certainly motivate me! Thank you.

Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:21 pm

italianstal1ion wrote:Would it be possible to have a "remove all tails" function? At least for the drum part? (not including the BRE part). It really bothers me every time I make a new note and it has a little tail, it shouldn't have any tail at all.

I could probably make it a user option to force drum notes to have no tails, but even without that, the MIDI export drops those tails by force. I had thought about not having them show up in the 2D viewer (similar to how the tails for drum notes are hidden from view in the 3D panel), but I hadn't done anything on the matter because I felt it was still useful to have the tails visible to make it easier to identify drum note spacing (ie. for 1/16 notes). Should I just go ahead and make it a user option (ie. in the Note>Drum menu) to not show tails?

Also when charting (special) drum rolls, do you make one/two notes as sustains and then mark that one or two notes as a roll, or do you highlight a section of notes of one or two lanes and then mark that as a roll?

As far as I know, you just add the drum notes, select the range of notes and mark them as a roll just as with solo and star power phrases. If you import the RB3 MIDI for "Beast and the Harlot", you can see a special drum roll phrase for the cymbal swell that starts around 25 seconds in.
aka drumbilical
italianstal1ion

Postby italianstal1ion » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:07 pm

If it's not too much trouble to add the option, I would use it.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Also, would it be possible to code something that makes every other note an expert+ bass note for the section that is highlighted? Or make every note into an expert+ note that is not on a 1/16th beatline?

My best result for doing expert+ notes in a large section for right now is to delete all notes except bass for a section and then make that section alternating expert+ bass and then copying it for the rest of the chart for the double bass section. That works alright, but then it's possible to forget notes or something.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Drum Project 7 Released!
Drum Project 8 Released!
Image My personal topic.
Can't get enough?

If you appreciate my work and would like to see more, a donation would certainly motivate me! Thank you.

Predator

Postby Predator » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:18 pm

Just a question, what are special drum rolls? :confused:
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:48 pm

italianstal1ion wrote:If it's not too much trouble to add the option, I would use it.

I'll go ahead and add it.

Also, would it be possible to code something that makes every other note an expert+ bass note for the section that is highlighted? Or make every note into an expert+ note that is not on a 1/16th beatline?

Something that specific could be troublesome to add. It might be easier to chart just the single bass first, down-chart any lower difficulties as desired, enable the new notes are expert+ option and then lay down the double bass at the end.

Predator wrote:Just a question, what are special drum rolls? :confused:

It's like a regular drum roll, except you have to hit notes in multiple lanes. Harmonix cites it as being used for cymbal swells.
aka drumbilical
italianstal1ion

Postby italianstal1ion » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:12 pm

The keyboard shortcut for REDO is actually CTRL+Y in every windows application, not CTRL+R. That's the standard, but it's your preference.

Also, I was trying to figure out a way to copy/paste expert+ bass notes, and I'm getting weird problems. So first, when I copy/paste a section over another, some notes receive duplicates. Not all notes, but some. I will try to explain this with pictures.

1. So I've got my double bass notes marked here:

2. So I have a plan, I'll just copy/paste the expert+ notes I have selected, and they will paste onto the correct spots over the next section. This works halfway. (Which brings up a side issue: Can we please have the COPY feature copy from the selected note, not where the green bar is? It's so hard to get the green bar where I want it to go. And pasting always pastes from the start of a beatline, and sometimes I would like to paste somewhere else besides the beatline.)
The result:
You'll notice first, it pasted a measure ahead of my intended pasting area, and second, not all notes became expert+ bass notes. All notes in the section are on 1/32nd beatlines precisely, and the BPM doesn't change (which shouldn't affect it anyway).
You'll also see that it seems that note 1 has not changed at all (not to mention several notes following it that were marked in the section that I was pasting), even though what I copied should change it. And the note marked 2 seems to have doubled? Look at the bar in the middle of the lane on the 2D display. It looks a little thicker doesn't it?

3) Zoomed in:
Now you can see the bar is thicker for certain, for two notes in the section. Also, you'll notice that the note I currently have selected is slightly to the left and underneath the expert+ bass note I have circled.

I know there are 2 notes overlapping each other, because if I delete one, then the bar becomes thin again as if there were one note, and there is still one note on the 2D/3D display.

This doubling effect happens when pasting over any section. It doubles seemingly at random.

4) Let's say I want to paste the section highlighted above over the identical section of it a few measures up. There should be no doubling - all notes should simply replace the notes that are already there. Essentially, it should do nothing. Result:

For some reason, there is still doubling on one note. Let's move forward a couple seconds to the next identical section and paste there:

Same thing, now more doubling. I don't know why it chose to double those notes this time, but it did.
And in teal: why are some notes not highlighted when I copy/paste into a section? I found those notes are doubled too, but instead of being slightly off, they are exactly on top of each other. But NOT ALL NOTES do this. The notes that are highlighted without doubling have replaced the previous notes places, and no doubling has occurred at all.

So for a final image:
It's a lot of bright colors I know. It is a section I copied identical notes over. Notes marked
1 - After pasting they are not highlighted. Doubling has occurred in the same spot the note is on (the note that was doubled, and now underneath it, is highlighted, which is why the highlight cannot be seen.
2 - Doubling has occurred a small bit to the left of the note. This can be especially seen by the snare if you look closely. And of course, by the beat bars in the middle of the lane which are thicker.
3 - These notes replaced the previous ones, and have no doubling occurring at all.

First I thought that EOF simply placed notes over the previous ones, and that was the issue, but obviously since sometimes doubling occurs and sometimes it doesn't, then this isn't always the case. EOF should replace all notes that you are pasting over, rather than leaving the old ones some of the time. Though, it may be useful to leave notes in lanes that weren't pasted from, in case you'd like to paste just the hi-hat over a large section that you've just changed, or just the expert+ bass notes over a large section.

And I'm not sure whether this shows up in game or not, but I have saved the file and reloaded it, and both notes are still present. As of right now, the only way to avoid doubling is to delete every note from the section you are about to paste into first, then paste.

I hope this makes sense, and I will clarify anything that needs clarification. The chart that I used can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/?4r3tfc4sfc6u3g1
Or if you want the small download of just the notes.mid: http://www.mediafire.com/?he4mra8bu8c5w6x
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Drum Project 7 Released!
Drum Project 8 Released!
Image My personal topic.
Can't get enough?

Return to “Tutorials and Tools”