Guide to Making a High-quality Notechart Using EOF - **EOF E

A collection of helpful posts
This topic is 6 years and 3 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
coolguy567

Guide to Making a High-quality Notechart Using EOF - **EOF E

Postby coolguy567 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:33 pm

Update: EOF has been updated since I wrote this guide. There aren't many important changes to be made to this guide, but something that should be mentioned is that you can now move anchors after placing notes and the notes will be auto-adjusted according to the new anchors (don't hold down shift while dragging to do this).

Note: If you are a Freetar user who is considering changing editors, but you find this method too confusing, you shouldn't immediately give up on EOF. You can use EOF by ignoring the beat lines and placing notes like you did in Freetar. I wouldn't consider your song "high-quality", but it should be a long way better than it would be in Freetar.

Guide to Making a High-quality Notechart using EOF

You will need:
* The EOF Editor
* The song you want to make a note-chart for, in OGG or MP3 format. I'd start with an easy song if it is your first time.
* Optional: A Guitar Pro or Power Tab for your song
* Optional: FL Studio (see Puppetz' Tutorial)

This guide assumes you know how place, delete and move notes with EOF. EOF comes with a tutorial, so if you've just downloaded EOF, read that. This is only how I make songs in EOF; EOF is a versatile editor and you can there are many ways to use it. Charts made with this method will be beat-synced as well as note-synced which is considered by many a criterion (yes, that's the singular of criteria) for high-quality songs. This tutorial does not work for songs with large, deliberate BPM changes, but it is accounts for the slight BPM changes that bands make if they record without a click track.

1. If you have a tab and you can't read tabs or sheet music, you can use the instructions in Puppetz' tutorial to convert it to a MIDI, and then load it into FL.

2. Load EOF and start a new song. Fill out the artist and title of the song (use proper capitalisation, it looks more professional), and the folder name can be anything, really - choose something you'll remember. Browse to your OGG or MP3 of the song. It is OK if it is an MP3 since EOF will convert it to an OGG for you.

3. Make sure your AV Delay is roughly correct (see the tutorial included with EOF). We will be using the claps for syncing, so it doesn't have to be perfect, but it's a lot easier if it's roughly correct.

4. Turn on claps by pressing K. Turn off the grid snap if it is on. Play the song in slow motion (Ctrl-Space) until you hear the first guitar note in the song. Place a note (it can be on any fret for now) where you think the first note is (ignore the beat lines). Rewind back to the beginning and play it again in slow motion. Listen to the clap - you want it to sound at exactly the same time as the first note. Chances are that it'll be slightly off the first time round, so adjust it a bit. Keep replaying it in slow motion and readjusting it until the clap sounds at the exact same time as the note in the song does.

5. If the first note is extremely close to the beginning of the song, you can skip this step.

Find the beat line that is closest to the note you just placed. Select the beat marker ("-->") that is closest and shift+drag (drag while holding shift) it so that the beat line is in line with the note (the little gray line in the middle of the fretboard shows you the exact position of the note). This "anchors" the second beat line to the first note.

6. Now you need an approximate BPM for your song. It does not have to be exact. If you have a tab, the BPM from there should be OK. Otherwise, use the tap-tap-tap thing included in the FoF editor, or use that Mixmeister program.

Select the beat you moved in step 5 (or the first beat if you didn't do it), go to Beat->BPM Change in the menu and put your approximate BPM in there. Make sure "This Beat Only" is unchecked.

In my fake example, the approximate BPM was 114. Don't worry if the beat line is now a pixel off the actual note; this difference is indistinguishable in FoF.

7. Play through the song for about 10 or so seconds or so, while ignoring the screen, and choose a clearly audible note. The note you choose must be on the beat in the music (not in-between two beats). As a test, play through the song and tap the table to the beat of the music, and if the note plays when you tap the table and not in-between taps, it is on the beat.

Now that you've chosen your note, play through the song in slow-mo and place a note where you think your chosen note is. Like you did in step 4, adjust it and keep re-playing in slow-mo until the clap sounds at the same time as the note.

8. Your note should be close to one of the beat lines. If it isn't, then either your approximate BPM is too inaccurate or you chose a note that wasn't on the beat. Like in Step 5, select the closest beat marker ("-->" thing) and drag it so it's in line with your note. If they already are in line, then drag the beat marker a tiny amount (like one pixel) to the right (this just ensures that there's still an anchor there). Now a beat line will be anchored to your note.

9. Go back to the beginning, turn on the metronome (press M) and play through until your second note. The metronome ticks should be in time with the music. If they are not, undo (Ctrl-Z) to where you were before you placed the note. Repeat the steps. Either your approximate BPM was too inaccurate or you need to choose a note that is closer to the beginning of the song.

10. Choose a note that is on the beat, about 10 or so seconds from the note (anchor) that you just placed, and repeat steps 7-9 for it. In step 9, you don't need to go back to the beginning of the song, just back to the last anchor you placed.

11. Keep on placing more anchors until you have gone through the entire song.

12. Now your beat lines should be synced to the song. Press Ctrl-A and then Delete to delete all your notes you have placed. The anchors will still be there - the only reason we placed the notes was so that we could use the clap. Play through the song at full speed with the metronome on to check that it's all correct.

13. SAVE. This is just a precaution. You don't want to lose all that if a power-cut comes along, right?

14. Now you can start placing notes. Turn on grid snap (I usually use 32nd note snap, since this keeps the note lengths short) and the notes you place should sync. This is the beauty of syncing the beat lines first. Most of the time, the notes should be on the beat lines (quarter notes) or exactly in between them (eighth notes). They might be closer in some points (like solos), depending on the song. You can use your tab to help you here - see Puppetz' tutorial. I'm not going to give you a guide on how to place notes well, since that isn't specific to EOF or this method, and there are plenty of those guides already.

Also, I'd avoid copy-paste for now, since that might give you notes which aren't aligned with the beat lines. If you do want use it, use alt and left or right (page up and page down on newer versions) to move the playhead first, so that it stays on the beat lines, and you might have to drag some of the notes back onto the beats afterwards (it depends).

The notes really are random, so stop guessing what song it is.

15. SAVE AGAIN.

16. If desired, include a medium and easy chart (and maybe rhythm, bass and drums). You don't have to sync the beat lines again, since they will stay the same throughout the difficulties and tracks.

17. You are finished. Copy the song folder (remember the name you gave it in step 2?) into FoF's song folder and play-test it. If you release it, please make sure there's no high-scores in the song.ini in your released version.

Please post if you make a song this way.
Last edited by coolguy567 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Spoiler:

OzzyOzrock wrote:
Electro Tomato wrote:
Sealclubber wrote:I believe the proper term for these notes are "EPIC NOTES" due to the fact that they are EPIC!!!!

Memes are so funny hahaha I'm splitting with laughter I can't control this laughter at this meme which uses a word incorrectly oh hahaha

:glare:

That was EPIC.

My songs. All made in EOF, beat-synced and note-synced, not very many missed notes.
Switchfoot - Meant to Live (now with drums)
Delirious? - Investigate (Live)
Shredder
jake2k3

Postby jake2k3 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Nice tutorial. I actually understand how to use anchors now :D
~Jake2k3
Goodbye everyone. It's been fun. I spent many many hours here on these boards and playing/contributing to FoF. Today I uninstalled my game and deleted all my files. I just don't have the time or interest anymore. I won't be coming back here anymore. I might show up in the IRC from time to time to chat. I regret nothing.

So long, farewell.
~Jake2k3
The Wiitard
rednano12

Postby rednano12 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:07 pm

Awesome! EOF should be used by everyone who thinks feedback is too complicated.
Oct. 30th is Cama appreciation day!

Check out my first song: Snow (Hey Oh)
garren42

Postby garren42 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:58 pm

Good tutorial :)
Image By Kris(Euphoria)
chadt87

Postby chadt87 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:37 pm

Okay the only thing is how do you make hammer ons and hammer offs on this?
Power Quest's #1 Fan
omfgdrphl

Postby omfgdrphl » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:47 pm

You don't. It does it for you.
A bit sleepy
Kotti

Postby Kotti » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:29 am

This should replace the Freetar tutorial.
Mass Effect FTW :)
BlackFate

Postby BlackFate » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:43 am

Topic Pinned, some people may find it useful, I wont replace the freetar tutorial, it's best to have a tutorial for the different ways of fretting songs for fof.

Mike.
Songs Finished: 82,
Metallica - Papa Roach - Disturbed - Bloodhound Gang
coolguy567

Postby coolguy567 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:06 am

Hey cool, a sticky :) .

Spoiler:

OzzyOzrock wrote:
Electro Tomato wrote:
Sealclubber wrote:I believe the proper term for these notes are "EPIC NOTES" due to the fact that they are EPIC!!!!

Memes are so funny hahaha I'm splitting with laughter I can't control this laughter at this meme which uses a word incorrectly oh hahaha

That was EPIC.

My songs. All made in EOF, beat-synced and note-synced, not very many missed notes.
greedoburrito

Postby greedoburrito » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:21 pm

after downloading eof i try to open it and it says "cannot find alleg42.dll" so i cant use it. i appreciate any help. thanx
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:11 pm

after downloading eof i try to open it and it says "cannot find alleg42.dll" so i cant use it. i appreciate any help. thanx

Do you have the file "alleg42.dll?" It is included in the EOF package. If you don't have it you didn't extract the program correctly. Make sure to extract all the files in the archive and extract the paths as well.
"Stop putting so much stock in all of this stuff, live your life for those that you love." - Relient K
EOF - A Song Editor for Frets On Fire
Lin

Postby Lin » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:51 am

Nice tutorial. The more I read, the more confusing it gets xD

And to save Greedoburrito some time:

Google "Alleg42.DLL" and download it from a site. Save it to your system32 folder (Most likely something like "C:\Windows\system32\" and then goto Start > Run and type in: regsvr32 Alleg32.dll and if done right, it should say it registered and you shouldn't get the error.

Either do that, or re-extract the program.
Last edited by Lin on Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Songs:
Yellowcard - Way Away
Poison - Fallen Angel
Twisted Sister - I Wanna Rock
Thin Lizzy - Emerald
Judas Priest - Judas Rising

Drum player (Very good), Guitar player (Ok),Bass Player (W/e), Keyboard Player (Wtf?)
SketchMan3

Postby SketchMan3 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:49 am

Seems like you could just download alleg42.dll and stick it in your EOF folder. That's what I always do when missing a required .dll.

btw, I copy paste all the time, and it's all good. If it's not aligned I simply move it over with the mouse. It's faster/easier than re-entering the notes again.
dionzorrr

Postby dionzorrr » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:23 am

very nice tutorial dude.

love it , now i understand better,
and making songs better ;)

thanks you.
Don't PM me about my 'Potty-Mouth' kk.
Song's made: dragon ball z - American theme , rouge trader's - do you wanna

ImageImage
coolguy567

Postby coolguy567 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:56 pm

SketchMan3 wrote:btw, I copy paste all the time, and it's all good. If it's not aligned I simply move it over with the mouse. It's faster/easier than re-entering the notes again.

Fair enough. I edited it to tell people how to use copy-paste properly.

Spoiler:

OzzyOzrock wrote:
Electro Tomato wrote:

That was EPIC.

Return to “Tutorials and Tools”