FoFix Lag!

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
This topic is 13 years and 10 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Re: FoFix Lag!

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:05 pm

I hear the most lag stories from users with really good PC specs, for some reason it seems to effect stock PCs less so. I've updated my graphics card and haven't experienced serious lag(unless using py2.6 builds), so I'm wondering if it's not a dual-core+ processor incompatibility problem.

T3HM3T4L:I've tried to sign up for Rock Band but they just won't allow me. They keep complaining I have to 'be over 18' while I've already been 18 for over half a year, and a sign up where I noted I was born in the '50s STILL GAVE ME THAT MESSAGE

So if anyone could help me get these templates, I'd very much appreciate it. I need it to edit notes and stuff for my Rock Band 2.

aander91:Sorry, but that'd be providing for minors, which is illegal.

T3HM3T4L:But I'm 18 years old... ?

aander91:Nope. Sorry.

T3HM3T4L:Nono, you're getting me wrong, I was asking how come I am still considered a minor?

aander91:Look, we can't just go out giving these things away to people who just say they're over 18 and show no proof, we'd be out of a job.

T3HM3T4L:Nevermind, I'll use EoF for it, I found the way I could use it for that.

Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:20 pm

That's possible. You'd think a quad-core would work better since it takes care of more.

My Song Thread
Current Songs: 98
Secret Project in the Works! Check this signature for active updates!
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.
Spikehead777

Postby Spikehead777 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:09 pm

The biggest bottleneck I have with FoFiX is my CPU.

Here's my specs:

Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00 GHz
3GB RAM
nVidia GeForce GT240
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit

Depending on game mode and song, I may pull anywhere from 20-60 fps. I guess that shows how heavily CPU-based this game is. Oh yeah, I also tend to play with my Wii GHWT Guitar, so I have to use GlovePIE. I also noticed improvement when I changed GlovePIE's update speed to 120 fps and changed it's priority so it runs on the opposite core.

I don't know what optimizations are being made, but they need to be made, especially with the switch from PyGL 2.4 to PyGL 2.6.
PM me for my Wii or DS Friend Codes.

http://www.fretsonfire.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38434 My Wii GH:WT Guitar and Drum GlovePIE script. Also supports GH3 guitars!
Since "DragonFail" "sucks" so much, I won't post anything related or about them any longer.
Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Postby acrox999 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:27 pm

I think its the rock meters and stuffs making the game slow. I run the game at the highest graphics settings, removed rockmeter.ini and guess what?

I got constant 75FPS.
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:22 pm

Spikehead777 wrote:I don't know what optimizations are being made, but they need to be made, especially with the switch from PyGL 2.4 to PyGL 2.6.

As far as I know the current version of FoFiX can't run all the cores a processor has, 4.0 is supposed to allow you to run them all(don't quote me on this though, I'm not a dev or a tester).

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

T3HM3T4L:I've tried to sign up for Rock Band but they just won't allow me. They keep complaining I have to 'be over 18' while I've already been 18 for over half a year, and a sign up where I noted I was born in the '50s STILL GAVE ME THAT MESSAGE

So if anyone could help me get these templates, I'd very much appreciate it. I need it to edit notes and stuff for my Rock Band 2.

T3HM3T4L:Nono, you're getting me wrong, I was asking how come I am still considered a minor?

aander91:Look, we can't just go out giving these things away to people who just say they're over 18 and show no proof, we'd be out of a job.

T3HM3T4L:Nevermind, I'll use EoF for it, I found the way I could use it for that.

Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Postby acrox999 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:47 pm

Yes, 4.0 allows you to use all cores. But only applicable to Win32 users.
GrifSam

Postby GrifSam » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:53 pm

acrox999 wrote:I think its the rock meters and stuffs making the game slow. I run the game at the highest graphics settings, removed rockmeter.ini and guess what?

I got constant 75FPS.

so either putting the game on no-fail mode or putting in a light meter will reduce the lag? ill try that
Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Postby acrox999 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:02 pm

Rockmeter.ini is only available in 4.0. I was just messing around to get the game faster. Perhaps a lighter rock meter files including stars, score box etc. should do. Try Uberlight theme.
GrifSam

Postby GrifSam » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:06 pm

acrox999 wrote:Rockmeter.ini is only available in 4.0. I was just messing around to get the game faster. Perhaps a lighter rock meter files including stars, score box etc. should do. Try Uberlight theme.

i just found out that turning on no-fail reduces that lag my a whole bunch, now fofix for me is smooth. thanks for saying that thing about the rockmeter.ini thing otherwise i wouldn't figure this out! I use the Lego Rock Band Theme (light) and that works great!
Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Postby acrox999 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:08 pm

I guess the process of the rockmeters takes lots of resources.
Spikehead777

Postby Spikehead777 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:43 pm

GrifSam wrote:
acrox999 wrote:Rockmeter.ini is only available in 4.0. I was just messing around to get the game faster. Perhaps a lighter rock meter files including stars, score box etc. should do. Try Uberlight theme.

i just found out that turning on no-fail reduces that lag my a whole bunch, now fofix for me is smooth. thanks for saying that thing about the rockmeter.ini thing otherwise i wouldn't figure this out! I use the Lego Rock Band Theme (light) and that works great!

I tested toggling No-Fail, with no improvement.

And as someone mentioned earlier, yes, the latest stable version of FoFiX (3.121 Final, r1988) only uses a single core. Like I said before, I have a 2.00 GHz dual core processor, with FoFiX running on the first core, and then GlovePIE on the second core.

One of the biggest problems with lag I'm seeing, is that input seems like it is checked per frame, instead of as it is received. So if you're playing Through the Fire and Flames at 3 FPS, chances are, you're going to be missing loads of notes. What effect might putting the input events in a separate thread have? The way I see it, the inputs will be read, time-stamped (in microseconds since the start of the song), and then written to an input buffer that the game reads, checks for valid hits, and then empties. This might also help improve Jurgen's ability to play (since for some reason, he refuses to play at low FPS, just because he says the game lags too much, or so I hear).
PM me for my Wii or DS Friend Codes.

http://www.fretsonfire.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38434 My Wii GH:WT Guitar and Drum GlovePIE script. Also supports GH3 guitars!
Since "DragonFail" "sucks" so much, I won't post anything related or about them any longer.
nefarious

Postby nefarious » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:15 pm

It's always used a single core which is why it runs so badly on low end dual/quad cores at high resolutions regardless of how good of a video card you have and how much memory you have. 3.2GHz OC on my dual core machine was the stable point I found where the fret board wasn't jerking off (best way to describe it) like everything else is smooth but the board starts jerking like it's trying to keep up with everything.

I've actually gone back to running customs on GH3 because it runs A LOT better.
My Guitar Hero: On Tour Rips
New ones: Here
re-synced song.ogg's thanks to Moonflow43
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:16 pm

Quickset>PURE SPEED
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
enricodosi

Postby enricodosi » Thu May 20, 2010 5:56 am

Hmm no way bout the graphich card.

I run fofix with an an overclocked dual core, i can run smooth every new game (eg modern warfare 2) but fofix still lags... tried everything... i'm desperate.
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Thu May 20, 2010 9:30 am

enricodosi wrote:Hmm no way bout the graphich card.

I run fofix with an an overclocked dual core, i can run smooth every new game (eg modern warfare 2) but fofix still lags... tried everything... i'm desperate.

Ambiguity wrote:As far as I know the current version of FoFiX can't run all the cores a processor has, 4.0 is supposed to allow you to run them all(don't quote me on this though, I'm not a dev or a tester).
acrox999 wrote:Yes, 4.0 allows you to use all cores. But only applicable to Win32 users.

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

Return to “FoFiX”