Ambiguity's FFVII Theme [Ver. 1.0 Final Released!]

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
This topic is 13 years and 3 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
googlyboogly
iamsensay

Re: Ambiguity's Final Fantasy VII Theme (ver. 1.0beta)

Postby iamsensay » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:30 pm

This looks awesome, im going to download it and give it a try. Shouldnt the last fret be purple instead of orange though? I see your using materia orbs, it would mean that all the orbs are the colors of materia in the game. Just a thought, love the theme anyway. :2thumbsup:
Azzco

Postby Azzco » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:41 pm

Great theme, the mix between low and high quality sounds with different volume settings is a bit awkward though.
I think that the score screen could need a little more detail (looks quite dull with so much "perfect" white).

I think you could change the frets more into materia slots, so I made a little mockup
(reference image)

And yeah I know that you can't have such a large combo (I can't even recall having more than two linked), but it's a bit more visually appealing than linking 1-2 4-5 or 1-2 3-4 (not that my mockups are visually appealing anyway).
(k)Ubuntu 8.10 skyscraper 2.6.27-11-generic i686 GNU/Linux KDE 4.2.0
It's not like I dislike sleeping, I really do like it to be honest. It's the whole wake up/go to sleep business I don't like.
Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Postby acrox999 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:45 pm

OMIGOSH! That's a nice one Azzco!
Azzco

Postby Azzco » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:19 pm

Not too be too modest here, but you do see how cartoony they look right? And the chains doesn't have any form of perspective and are kind of chopped off here and there (it's made from a rectangle and two halfs of a circle with a gradient).

Anyway I was going to post about there being two one winged angel songs in the sounds folder (menu.ogg and menuonewingedangel.ogg) I don't know if fofix picks both when choosing a menu song randomly or just one, but I did end up with it three times in a row and almost thought there weren't more songs in there. =p
(k)Ubuntu 8.10 skyscraper 2.6.27-11-generic i686 GNU/Linux KDE 4.2.0
It's not like I dislike sleeping, I really do like it to be honest. It's the whole wake up/go to sleep business I don't like.
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:40 am

Azzco wrote:Great theme, the mix between low and high quality sounds with different volume settings is a bit awkward though.
I think that the score screen could need a little more detail (looks quite dull with so much "perfect" white).

I think you could change the frets more into materia slots, so I made a little mockup

Spoiler:Image
(reference image)

And yeah I know that you can't have such a large combo (I can't even recall having more than two linked), but it's a bit more visually appealing than linking 1-2 4-5 or 1-2 3-4 (not that my mockups are visually appealing anyway).

I don't think the quality is that bad(playstation sounds weren't super awesome though), but I do know what you mean about the volume changes. I know that for some reason the audio FX that plays when you enter a song(this might not happen with all the audio) is really low volume in game(even with SFX turned to 10/10), but out of it it's decently loud. I'll still play with them in Audacity later. If I had a completed game save file on my comp I'd try to rip better audio, but I don't so someone would have to do that for me if you guys want the audio perfect(you'd be surprised at the lack of resources ripped from this game online).

I made the results screen off of a small reference which had everything looking quit clean. I could crumple the paper, but I don't think that's how a company like Shinra keeps their stuff. I do remember adding subtle(less subtle if you can see the difference in Photoshop) lighting and making the page kind of grey instead of plain white.

Well when I said "materia slots" I meant like the ones on Cloud's sword(that's what I always assumed the giant holes were for), but you have quite a nice idea going there, I may have to use it(thanks for the mock up too). If I went with that I would probably do it DJ Hero style so it's like O=O O O=O(less links so it's more faithful to the original game), I don't think it would look bad that way.

Azzco wrote:Not too be too modest here, but you do see how cartoony they look right? And the chains doesn't have any form of perspective and are kind of chopped off here and there (it's made from a rectangle and two halfs of a circle with a gradient).

Anyway I was going to post about there being two one winged angel songs in the sounds folder (menu.ogg and menuonewingedangel.ogg) I don't know if fofix picks both when choosing a menu song randomly or just one, but I did end up with it three times in a row and almost thought there weren't more songs in there. =p

Well it was just a mock up, but if your looking for a few Photoshop "cheats" here is some I use:
I use transform perspective tool in Photoshop(found in Edit>Transform or Ctrl+T) to add perspective sometimes(use it sparingly as it lowers quality every time you use it).

You can use layer styles to make things more 3D(just double click on the layer) or add your own shading by adding shapes with the pentool(my most preferred method, though I do use the other way sometimes too).

Lastly you can use textures taken from real life(I recommend the resources section of Deviantart) to really give it a sense of realism.

Oh really? I thought I got all the duplicates out a long time ago :P. I actually get "Those Who Fight Further" and "J-E-N-O-V-A" a lot of times in a row. For now you can just delete menuonewingedangel.ogg and I'll do the same for the next release.

T3HM3T4L:I've tried to sign up for Rock Band but they just won't allow me. They keep complaining I have to 'be over 18' while I've already been 18 for over half a year, and a sign up where I noted I was born in the '50s STILL GAVE ME THAT MESSAGE

So if anyone could help me get these templates, I'd very much appreciate it. I need it to edit notes and stuff for my Rock Band 2.

aander91:Sorry, but that'd be providing for minors, which is illegal.

T3HM3T4L:But I'm 18 years old... ?

aander91:Nope. Sorry.

T3HM3T4L:Nono, you're getting me wrong, I was asking how come I am still considered a minor?

aander91:Look, we can't just go out giving these things away to people who just say they're over 18 and show no proof, we'd be out of a job.

T3HM3T4L:Nevermind, I'll use EoF for it, I found the way I could use it for that.

Clefty

Postby Clefty » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:03 am

Dude this is by far the best theme so far in the whole series. You spent time choosing your sounds I can tell. none of them are harsh, everything just blends so well.

But I have a question?

Your score meter. What makes it screw out after it reaches 1000?

Spoiler:Image

I only ask because if you know I would like to avoid the same happening in my theme
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:22 am

Oh I don't know, that's one reason why this is still in beta. Some of it still has K.i.D's RB2 Theme coding.

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

T3HM3T4L:I've tried to sign up for Rock Band but they just won't allow me. They keep complaining I have to 'be over 18' while I've already been 18 for over half a year, and a sign up where I noted I was born in the '50s STILL GAVE ME THAT MESSAGE

So if anyone could help me get these templates, I'd very much appreciate it. I need it to edit notes and stuff for my Rock Band 2.

T3HM3T4L:Nono, you're getting me wrong, I was asking how come I am still considered a minor?

aander91:Look, we can't just go out giving these things away to people who just say they're over 18 and show no proof, we'd be out of a job.

T3HM3T4L:Nevermind, I'll use EoF for it, I found the way I could use it for that.

Clefty

Postby Clefty » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:27 am

Also since I tried your theme it somehow changed my keys. Esc no longer works in the game and to now go back in menus i must press "S" and I can't get it back? How can a theme change keys?
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:34 am

Clefty wrote:Also since I tried your theme it somehow changed my keys. Esc no longer works in the game and to now go back in menus i must press "S" and I can't get it back? How can a theme change keys?

As far as I know, themes aren't supposed to be able to do that. What version of FoFiX are you using? You can edit your keys in Options>Controller Settings>Edit Controller(then select the controller your using).

I've never had a problem with anyone's theme changing my keys.

Clefty

Postby Clefty » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:47 am

No it happens in a few themes I have tried I am using the featured one on the code page 3.121 py2.6

I have tried editing my keys in my controller. not helping. I am just going to reinstall quick and see maybe something screwed up when I changed back from v4
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:53 am

Clefty wrote:No it happens in a few themes I have tried I am using the featured one on the code page 3.121 py2.6

I have tried editing my keys in my controller. not helping. I am just going to reinstall quick and see maybe something screwed up when I changed back from v4

That is really weird, I've never heard of that happening. You might try the py2.4 build if reinstalling doesn't work(it runs smoother for me).

Clefty

Postby Clefty » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:09 am

yup reinstalled py2.4 and now the theme doesn't change the keys :2thumbsup: God I love your theme, and I am just getting angry with mine.

I changed graphics and at first it stuck on initializingthen got that info you sent me and corrected the graphics by saving in JPG and renaming then fofix loaded all the way but won't display the elements I have changed. I see a need for WYSIWYG badly!!!!!!!!!

-- Edit: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:11 pm --

I changed bigtale1 bigtail2 bpmbeat bpmmeasure and bpmhalfbeat
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:58 am

Clefty wrote:yup reinstalled py2.4 and now the theme doesn't change the keys :2thumbsup: God I love your theme, and I am just getting angry with mine.

I changed graphics and at first it stuck on initializingthen got that info you sent me and corrected the graphics by saving in JPG and renaming then fofix loaded all the way but won't display the elements I have changed. I see a need for WYSIWYG badly!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, glad you like it. You might PM death_au about your image saving problem, and maybe upload one of your pictures for him. He's better at FoFiX stuff then I am so he might be able to help you better.

Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Postby acrox999 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:11 pm

Clefty wrote:yup reinstalled py2.4 and now the theme doesn't change the keys :2thumbsup: God I love your theme, and I am just getting angry with mine.

Uh, JPG is not supported.
Clefty

Postby Clefty » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm

No i know jpg is not supported. But in the instructions about how picky fof can be one option is to just rename a jpg to png

Return to “FoFiX”