FoFiX v3.121 Released

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
This topic is 14 years and 3 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Choose Your Destiny
Denny8303

Re: FoFiX v3.121 Released

Postby Denny8303 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:27 pm

Well i went to 3.121 py2.6 from 3.120 py2.4. Runs about the same (which is pretty solid, seems to load things faster though), although i haven't really pushed things to the max or anything. Still, any new release is always good, thanks go to the FoFiX team. :smile:
FoFiX Dev/Mod Squad
jstump91

Postby jstump91 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:37 pm

heppx3 wrote:First, thanks for a great app, performance is way better than my GH3 game.
Sorry for not posting a new topic, but it's kind of related.

I cannot run the py2.6 (exe or zip installation - file tested and found OK in 7zip)
py2.4 is ok, but will be discontinued.
This has been the issue also for previous versions.
I do not get any fofix.log (or fofix.exe.log)
However, I do get a pop-up error box:
"C:\fofix.exe\FoFiX.exe
This program could not start because the program configuration is wrong. If you reinstall the program, this might solve your problem." (the text is translated.)
I've tried to search, but no luck.

P4 4GHz, 3GB, Nvidida GeForce 8600GT - driver 6.14.11 (August 2009)
WinXP Home SP2 - not english, though
Installed in different locations, currently C:\fofix
Tried with empty/standard fofix.ini in gamefolder and without. Also tried with ini in C:\Documents and Settings\.....\fofix\
I do not have any Python installed on my computer, do not wish to run from source...

Would be greatful for any help. :-)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
jstump91, a.k.a. john.stumpo, a.k.a. stump
jstump.com | stump's blog | FoFiX development | My own code
Can't find a Windows build of the Python module you need? Try my mediafire!
Don't say "Python can't do [insert task here]." Python can do anything with the right modules - said modules may just not have been written yet.
"Python - why settle for snake oil when you can have the whole snake?" --Mark Jackson
Did you search before you posted? Did you read the rules for the subforum you are posting in?
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:39 pm

valdexson wrote:EDIT: and for the record i have acess to 2 other pcs 1 being a laptop i will test 3.121 and 3.120 final on and im more then sure the results will be the same.

Please do test, I'm interested in your results.

I want to say right here and now that I really don't like your attitude. Most people are getting a large performance boost and you are not. I actually find that quite intriguing, and would really like to know why. If we could find the cause of that it may have repercussions on how we help performance in future.
But the way you just come on here and say things like "dont fix whats not broken" and "thats how i know your full of crap" etc, I can't say I really care to help you.
One thing I would like to make sure is that you're comparing the python 2.6/pyOpenGL 3 versions of both 3.120 and 3.121. It's quite possible, that even with the performance improvements, the py2.4/pyOGL2 version still runs better, and that would be where you lost your FPS. This is information you haven't provided yet.

And if you don't want to help us help you, and / or you want to continue being abusive about this release, then by all means go back to 3.120 and get the f*** off this thread.

-------

Other points I'd like to make:
Puppetz wrote:So what's the difference between the python 2.4 and the 2.6? Should I test them both and see which one lags least? I have the 2.6 now, and it might have dropped down a few fps for me now (from the 3.12)?!
The main difference between the two is simply versions of source modules. It makes sense to use the newer stuff as the older stuff becomes unsupported. In this case, python 2.6 fixes a memory leak in 2.4 which degraded performance the longer you played (i.e. many songs in a row without quitting). The py2.6 version also uses pyOpenGL 3, which has a lot of improvements, but damatically reduces performance (at least with the current method of rendering). As of 3.120 it now also includes the aptly named pyOpenGL-Accellerate module, and you can guess what that does.

heppx3 wrote:I cannot run the py2.6 (exe or zip installation - file tested and found OK in 7zip)
py2.4 is ok, but will be discontinued.
This has been the issue also for previous versions.
I do not get any fofix.log (or fofix.exe.log)
However, I do get a pop-up error box:
"C:\fofix.exe\FoFiX.exe
This program could not start because the program configuration is wrong. If you reinstall the program, this might solve your problem." (the text is translated.)
I've tried to search, but no luck.

Python 2.6 might need the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package installed, as they built it with VC++2008:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
EDIT: Ninja stump powers, activate!
Choose Your Destiny
Denny8303

Postby Denny8303 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:58 pm

death_au wrote:The main difference between the two is simply versions of source modules. It makes sense to use the newer stuff as the older stuff becomes unsupported. In this case, python 2.6 fixes a memory leak in 2.4 which degraded performance the longer you played (i.e. many songs in a row without quitting). The py2.6 version also uses pyOpenGL 3, which has a lot of improvements, but damatically reduces performance (at least with the current method of rendering). As of 3.120 it now also includes the aptly named pyOpenGL-Accellerate module, and you can guess what that does.

Nice, about the memory leak i use a memory managing program (minimem) for previous versions of FoFiX and ever since never had memory leak issues. Maybe i should disable it and see if i notice any difference.
I Wanna Rock
Sogg Nomis

Postby Sogg Nomis » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:48 pm

this great such a big difference.... Could not run on my laptop with 3.120 2.4 or 2.6 now..

3.121 2.6 works great so smooth on this old laptop.

Dual core 1.66
2 Gig RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon 1600 256 MB
WIN XP Service Pack 3
Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Postby acrox999 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:59 am

valdexson wrote:
acrox999 wrote:
valdexson wrote:Ok so far from what im seeing all these people who are play testing your new version dont even have gaming rigs I mean come on they have on board Video and dont lag? BS!!! my pc was built for gaming 3 years ago and can still play everything I throw @ it including 3.121 but I dont gain performance from it I lose it, 20+ frames of it. If you dont like the fact that a actuall gaming pc cant play your game then fix it. Other then that dont fix whats not broken AKA 3.120FINAL

What? I have a gaming rig too and I get 70-75FPS(Maximum) with shaders on, AA 8x, and all that. Make sure you update the damn DRIVERS before saying anything. View my rig: http://www.xfire.com/profile/acrox999/
And oh yeah, clean your PC from viruses, malwares and all the unwanted craps. Defrag your PC every month.

your pc isnt much better then mine except u have a 9600 i have a 9500 video card as for the rest urs gets pwned, and there is no way your pc is running 75+fps with all that useless stuff on it AA8x? why would you need that in FoF no reason thats how i know your full of crap, and update my drivers? done, viruses? lol i dont even run anti virus cause im not dumb enough to download crap on my pc, how do i know i dont have viruses? easy im not a scrub pc user. i still stand that this new version is nothing new and nothing good .

EDIT: and for the record i have acess to 2 other pcs 1 being a laptop i will test 3.121 and 3.120 final on and im more then sure the results will be the same.

Then its your fault for not taking a good care of your PC. Oh, viruses doesn't come from downloaded items. It might came anytime, without even noticing. Ah yes, beware of hackers. I say, get an anti-virus.

---- EDIT ----

Ah yes, now I know why I can run on 70-75FPS. I'm using 4.0 that's why. 4.0 now make the game run on all processor's cores. Maybe this should be in 3.122.
spooky0815

Postby spooky0815 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:07 am

Hey,

One hint for anyone who has problems with video lags...

Try to limit the frame rate (e.g. 45 frames/sec for me) - it's enough for playing very smooth. And there are no lags or "frame hops".

In comparison, I played some songs without frame rate limiter --> RB2 / GH3 Theme both about 65 to 75 Frames with all effects on (no antialising). Here I noticed some short dropouts and lags.

Just for your information.

FoFiX 3.121 is a awesome release with massive performance improvements! :2thumbsup: to the developer community.

so long....

spooky0815
Syfatalityz

Postby Syfatalityz » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:10 am

I have more lag on this than 3.120 >_>
Which I don't understand, cuz my laptop can maintain a constant 60FPS on Guitar Hero 3

Well, its back to the previous version I guess
700+ songs fretted!!
Puppetz

Postby Puppetz » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:53 am

death_au wrote:The main difference between the two is simply versions of source modules. It makes sense to use the newer stuff as the older stuff becomes unsupported. In this case, python 2.6 fixes a memory leak in 2.4 which degraded performance the longer you played (i.e. many songs in a row without quitting). The py2.6 version also uses pyOpenGL 3, which has a lot of improvements, but damatically reduces performance (at least with the current method of rendering). As of 3.120 it now also includes the aptly named pyOpenGL-Accellerate module, and you can guess what that does.

Thanks for the fast reply! :smile:
Image To support my work and help me get a new computer. Thanks!
ImageImageImageImageImage
fatdog

Postby fatdog » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:46 am

thought i'd do a bit of a comparison between the versions to see how things have changed, might help give people a better idea of what to expect, cap set to 119, average fps at mid song

1 player - 2 player - 3 player - 4 player
------------------------------------------
2.4: 118 - 72 - 48 - 38
2.6: 85 - 48 - 32 - 23

2.6: 50 - 27 - 18 - 15
fredsky

Postby fredsky » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:16 am

spooky0815 wrote:Hello,

PERFECT Work - performance difference:

4 player : 2x guitar, 1x drum, 1x microphone
1920x1080, full effects, GH3 Theme

3.120: 6-8 frames
3.121: 24-28 frames

This release ROCKS!!!

Thanks,

spooky0815

how the hell could you do it? 4 players?! :scared: :scared:
spooky0815

Postby spooky0815 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:09 am

Hey,

how the hell could you do it? 4 players?!

Hihi - simple answer - 2 SFG Guitars, 1 Drum set Rockband and a cheap microphone.. :thumbup:

Perfect sessions - everyone is happy...with 3.120 not playable ... 3.121 - works well and smooth on a 40 inch Samsung TV :love:

By the way: Laptop hardware: Inter Core 2 Duo ...T8300, 3GB Ram, Geforce 8800 GTX mobile, normal HDD... Win7 OS

Any questions...feel free to ask me :rolleyes:

spooky0815
fredsky

Postby fredsky » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:29 am

spooky0815 wrote:Hey,

how the hell could you do it? 4 players?!

Hihi - simple answer - 2 SFG Guitars, 1 Drum set Rockband and a cheap microphone.. :thumbup:

Perfect sessions - everyone is happy...with 3.120 not playable ... 3.121 - works well and smooth on a 40 inch Samsung TV :love:

By the way: Laptop hardware: Inter Core 2 Duo ...T8300, 3GB Ram, Geforce 8800 GTX mobile, normal HDD... Win7 OS

Any questions...feel free to ask me :rolleyes:

spooky0815

oh my, thats kinda pro :tongue2:
im studiying a way to play with 4 usb keyboards :woot: :woot: :woot:
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:59 pm

fredsky wrote:im studiying a way to play with 4 usb keyboards :woot: :woot: :woot:

Sounds like there is going to be a lot of key conflicts(maybe not), unless you had a program that could treat the keyboards like a controller.

T3HM3T4L:I've tried to sign up for Rock Band but they just won't allow me. They keep complaining I have to 'be over 18' while I've already been 18 for over half a year, and a sign up where I noted I was born in the '50s STILL GAVE ME THAT MESSAGE

So if anyone could help me get these templates, I'd very much appreciate it. I need it to edit notes and stuff for my Rock Band 2.

aander91:Sorry, but that'd be providing for minors, which is illegal.

T3HM3T4L:But I'm 18 years old... ?

aander91:Nope. Sorry.

T3HM3T4L:Nono, you're getting me wrong, I was asking how come I am still considered a minor?

aander91:Look, we can't just go out giving these things away to people who just say they're over 18 and show no proof, we'd be out of a job.

T3HM3T4L:Nevermind, I'll use EoF for it, I found the way I could use it for that.

spooky0815

Postby spooky0815 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:39 pm

im studiying a way to play with 4 usb keyboards

Uff...very hard...I've played a long time with 2 keyboards - thats not problem. I used the Dell keyboards :

see here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Easiest--Best-Frets-on-Fire-Keyboard-Ever/

very funny and freaky :tongue2: ... but since the controllers are so cheap (--> amazon.com), I switched to the "real" hardware - it's much more fun AND the drums are not realy portable to a keyboard :woot:

the SFG Controller has and good strum and the tilt sensor works on my pc. GH World Tour Guitar --> too noisy strum + no tilt, RB Fender --> strumbar feels like :drool: + very bad material (thin)

So in my opinion...invest the dollars for your next "Band Party"... 2 hours FoFiX + 2 hours Ultrastar Deluxe (Singstar Clone) + some alcohol = :2thumbsup:

Party on,

spooky0815

---- EDIT ----

Regarding to the performance measurements....

2.6: 85 - 48 - 32 - 23

Same test...FoFiX internal frame-counter...1920x1080 full effects, no AA, GH3/RB2 theme

2.4: 60 - 60 - 45 - 28
2.6: 60 - 60 - 45 - 28

slower but also constant for both python versions.

:confused: ... are your values measured with an external program like FRAPS or with the FoFiX internal frame-counter??

so long...

spooky0815

Return to “FoFiX”