[WIP] FoFiX Theme for 4.0.0 - by the community

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
This topic is 13 years and 2 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Azzco

Re: [WIP] FoFiX Theme for 4.0.0 - by the community

Postby Azzco » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:24 am

I think that everyone likes Leapo's menus, but it looks like it might be a bit hard to get something to work okay with it in game.
His fretboard mockup follos the same style, it does look shiny but I'm still doubting how it will work out with ingame stats, keys and notes.

Fatdog's Rock meter idea is great too, but these two would probably not work well together, leapos menus are just to simple and minimalistic for this to fit in.
Not saying that either is bad they just wouldn't work to well together.

I'd like to see some more mock-ups from Leapo, he's good at this and his mock-ups work well with the icon we already have.
Though I think we can change the icon to reflect the default theme better if we need to (IE if we go with a heavy industrial theme the icon should reflect that IMHO).

I must say though, I don't like how the starpower sidebars looks on leapos mock-up, they looks very flat to me, maybe another gradient would help solve that.

TL;DR
I like Leapo's approach and think we should go with it.
(k)Ubuntu 8.10 skyscraper 2.6.27-11-generic i686 GNU/Linux KDE 4.2.0
It's not like I dislike sleeping, I really do like it to be honest. It's the whole wake up/go to sleep business I don't like.
Nickstr07

Postby Nickstr07 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:07 pm

Holy crap Leapo's looks awesome, if you could get an amazing neck and buttons and stuff to go with it i'd never want to use another theme :3
Leapo

Postby Leapo » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:44 pm

ZOMG, the forums are back! :blink:

I've got a lot to post (and I think you'll all like the changes quite a bit). Just gotta get the finishing touches in place.

*runs off to photoshop*
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:48 pm

Can't wait Leapo, haha.

Have we nailed down a color scheme either?
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
Leapo

Postby Leapo » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:14 pm

Quick teaser for you guys to drool over while I prep the rest of the screenshots.

Some notes:
1. The "bulges" on the sides of the fretboard are for StarPower. When starpower fills up the neck to that point, it's ready to be activated (though you can fill up past that point if you're saving up starpower).
2. The "4x" is your current multiplier, and the green bar behind it is your crowd meter. The bar would shrink and change colors (green, yellow, red) as the crowd becomes more and more displeased.
3. The green bar will glow gold (along with a few other things) when StarPower is active. If you hit an 8x multiplier while StarPower is active, flames erupt from the sides of the fretboard!
4. Artist name, Song title, and time remaining are displayed in the ever-present top bar (this bar also drops down to display the in-game Pause menu).
5. Each note rests on a "plate". When a note is hit, the note explodes but the plate continues off the bottom of the board. When a note is missed, the note "burns out" and turns gray as it continues off the fretboard. You can see a couple of these empty plates near the bottom of the mockup.

(Click for full size)

There are about 8 different variations of the above mockup (multiplayer modes, star power active, vocal pitch indicator on/off, etc), so hold final judgment on the layout until you've seen how it scales to multiple players.
weirdpeople

Postby weirdpeople » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:52 pm

Leapo wrote:Quick teaser for you guys to drool over while I prep the rest of the screenshots.

Some notes:
1. The "bulges" on the sides of the fretboard are for StarPower. When starpower fills up the neck to that point, it's ready to be activated (though you can fill up past that point if you're saving up starpower).
2. The "4x" is your current multiplier, and the green bar behind it is your crowd meter. The bar would shrink and change colors (green, yellow, red) as the crowd becomes more and more displeased.
3. The green bar will glow gold (along with a few other things) when StarPower is active. If you hit an 8x multiplier while StarPower is active, flames erupt from the sides of the fretboard!
4. Artist name, Song title, and time remaining are displayed in the ever-present top bar (this bar also drops down to display the in-game Pause menu).
5. Each note rests on a "plate". When a note is hit, the note explodes but the plate continues off the bottom of the board. When a note is missed, the note "burns out" and turns gray as it continues off the fretboard. You can see a couple of these empty plates near the bottom of the mockup.

(Click for full size)

There are about 8 different variations of the above mockup (multiplayer modes, star power active, vocal pitch indicator on/off, etc), so hold final judgment on the layout until you've seen how it scales to multiple players.

looks awesome i love it
Developer of clone hero, and Former FoFiX developer
drihscol

Postby drihscol » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:10 pm

is that ingame?
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/bajnmkinaopofbfaopenlfooloknfjlf?hl=en-US

Spoiler:Bands I like

Pink Floyd
Dream Theater
Rush
Radiohead
The Pixies
The Doors
Elo
Ok Go
Jethro Tull
The Beatles
Pearl Jam
Alice In Chains

Leapo

Postby Leapo » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:22 pm

Not yet, still just a mockup in Photoshop.

Hopefully it'll be possible to have that in-game by the time 4.0.0 is released :rolleyes:
blazingamer

Postby blazingamer » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:37 pm

About 90% of that could be done already. Only thing that wouldn't quite work yet would be a bursting flame animation on the side bars, but everything else can be done.
Leapo

Postby Leapo » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:01 pm

Even the reflections on the fretboard? (look closely at the notes in the full-size version, they reflect off the board)
bon9r
misterhh

Postby misterhh » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Just an idea: swap the crowd meter and starpower meter. The crowd meter is more of a general thing to glance at while the starpower should be right in your face.
Leapo

Postby Leapo » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:10 pm

misterhh wrote:Just an idea: swap the crowd meter and starpower meter. The crowd meter is more of a general thing to glance at while the starpower should be right in your face.

I think the StarPower meters are pretty "in your face" as it is. I mean, it's on both sides of the fretboard :tongue:

After playing RockBand, one of my main gripes is that I would constantly forget I even had StarPower. I tended to look ahead, higher up the fretboard, which means I was paying little attention to the StarPower meter at the very bottom of the screen. That's why I wanted the StarPower meter(s) visible all the way up and down the fretboard in my mockup.

Fully charged (but not active) StarPower meter(s):

Heh, I just had a thought. Since we have a glass fretboard, it could "shatter" after a song, kinda like the old guitar hero games had the board explode.
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:08 pm

Leapo wrote:Even the reflections on the fretboard? (look closely at the notes in the full-size version, they reflect off the board)

That could be faked by putting the reflection in the notes png.
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:17 pm

Heh, I just had a thought. Since we have a glass fretboard, it could "shatter" after a song, kinda like the old guitar hero games had the board explode.

That is a great idea. Personally, instead of having it shatter and fly, as if it was hit by an explosive, I'd like to see it crack/spider out, then shatter down.

That's just my opinion though, getting sick of explosions everywhere, haha.
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."

Return to “FoFiX”