FoFiX 4.0.0 Development Thread

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
This topic is 2 years and 4 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
blazingamer

Re: FoFiX 4.0.0 Development Thread

Postby blazingamer » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:16 pm

Don't worry, I've been programming FoFiX these past two years with my computer which has an intel gma 950 (which falls under the intel 945 gm chipset family) and it seems to work just fine most of the time. I do get an error involving excessive memory usage leading to a crash but I think it's just a problem with my development environment.
RandyF1n3

Postby RandyF1n3 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:54 pm

does anybody know how take this effect off. (that glowing thing underneath the lyrics bar)

Spoiler:Image

Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:47 am

RandyF1n3 wrote:does anybody know how take this effect off. (that glowing thing underneath the lyrics bar)

Spoiler:Image

Options>Display Settings>Advanced Video Settings>More Effects>Use Shaders:[set this to no]

T3HM3T4L:I've tried to sign up for Rock Band but they just won't allow me. They keep complaining I have to 'be over 18' while I've already been 18 for over half a year, and a sign up where I noted I was born in the '50s STILL GAVE ME THAT MESSAGE

So if anyone could help me get these templates, I'd very much appreciate it. I need it to edit notes and stuff for my Rock Band 2.

aander91:Sorry, but that'd be providing for minors, which is illegal.

T3HM3T4L:But I'm 18 years old... ?

aander91:Nope. Sorry.

T3HM3T4L:Nono, you're getting me wrong, I was asking how come I am still considered a minor?

aander91:Look, we can't just go out giving these things away to people who just say they're over 18 and show no proof, we'd be out of a job.

T3HM3T4L:Nevermind, I'll use EoF for it, I found the way I could use it for that.

weirdpeople

Postby weirdpeople » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:11 am

I have just completed support for animated notes.

There are 9 new images:
    animated_normal.png - plain notes, they go in the ../notes/drum/ directory for drums
    animated_hopo.png - plain HOPO notes
    animated_power.png - Overdrive / Starpower notes, they go in the ../notes/drum/ directory for drums
    animated_power_hopo.png - Overdrive / Starpower HOPO notes
    animated_power_active.png - Notes shown when in Overdrive / Starpower, they go in the ../notes/drum/ directory for drums
    animated_power_active_hopo.png - HOPO notes shown when in Overdrive / Starpower
    animated_open_power_active.png - drum bass notes shown in Overdrive / Starpower
    animated_open_power.png - drum bass Overdrive / Starpower notes
    animated_open.png - plain bass notes

All the images are optional, they aren't required, but the normal notes image is still required, even if your only going to be using animated ones. Not all of the images are required to be there if you want to use them, just put in the ones you want and those kind of notes in game become animated, the others will still use the normal notes image. The images are split up 16 sections vertically.

If your theme used the spinnotes.png, they will have to be converted over to this format, you would need to use the animated_power.png and animated_power_hopo.png images to get the same result.
Developer of clone hero, and Former FoFiX developer
Kiloku

Postby Kiloku » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:36 pm

Does it use Open AL?
weirdpeople

Postby weirdpeople » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:11 pm

Ok, themers i just commited some more code, this time it involves the fret images locations. They are now in the frets folder, if you are making your themes for the current git and beyond. The new frets folder is set up like the notes folder, the name for the drum frets image has changed to fretbuttons.png, and goes in the drum folder.
Developer of clone hero, and Former FoFiX developer
Sh*tty Guitarist
Shredin0id

Postby Shredin0id » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:55 pm

blazingamer wrote:Don't worry, I've been programming FoFiX these past two years with my computer which has an intel gma 950 (which falls under the intel 945 gm chipset family) and it seems to work just fine most of the time. I do get an error involving excessive memory usage leading to a crash but I think it's just a problem with my development environment.
That's good to hear. I don't think I was specific though. It's the Plug and Play Mobile 945 Chipset Intel. Is it certain that FoFiX 4.0 will run better than the alpha?
blazingamer

Postby blazingamer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:46 pm

Hopefully, yes. Stump is trying hard to remove the pyopengl dependency leaving FoFiX running on compiled C code for rendering.
Sh*tty Guitarist
Shredin0id

Postby Shredin0id » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:29 am

blazingamer wrote:Hopefully, yes. Stump is trying hard to remove the pyopengl dependency leaving FoFiX running on compiled C code for rendering.
Great! Keep up the good work I really am a big fan of your game (well except for the performance at least :tongue: ) If this does work I'll definitely post here more often! :2thumbsup:
Dreamer

Postby Dreamer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:57 pm

What is the best version of FoFix for video caption, like fraps, so it doesn't lags so much?
If someone can answer me, I would appreciate it.

contact me at [email protected] or on my youtube channel RiddlesDreamer
R.I.P Worldrave
Metallicaholic666

Postby Metallicaholic666 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:57 am

I just had a thought. Do any of you remember before Alarian 2.7 came out and all the coders involved occasionally came out with hotfixes to make the problems or smaller features available to the people who are actually dedicated to the game? Even though some of the hotfixes may be unstable right now but weren't some of them unstable back then too? Instead of having all of the users who don't really know how to code twiddle their thumbs for another year or more, why can't we just bring back the occasional hotfix to FoFiX so you can have more than just the devs post criticism and report problems! I hear weirdpeople has things for the next version of 4.000 since it isn't compatible with the latest alpha, along with Guitar Hero based themes and we shouldn't have to all be running from Python sources. it was so much easier just overwriting a couple files and enabling features that we should have never lost, or have a bug fixed w/o waiting over a year and a half again.
Again, I know someone will bring up running the game from sources but we shouldn't have to install all the crap unless we were actually DEVELOPING the game!!!

tl;dr BRING BACK HOTFIXES.
Loquesea

Postby Loquesea » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:44 pm

Can you put in the fofix4.0 something like "FretButtonsAnimation" to have more resemblance to the Original Guitar Hero? (1, 2, 3 , WT...). If you can see in the Original Guitar Hero, the frets have a little animation when the fret hit the note, and I Think with "FretButtonsAnimation" we can get this little animation like the Guitar Hero games.

Sorry, but my English is so poor :(

Bye!
blazingamer

Postby blazingamer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:34 pm

Metallicaholic666 wrote:I just had a thought. Do any of you remember before Alarian 2.7 came out and all the coders involved occasionally came out with hotfixes to make the problems or smaller features available to the people who are actually dedicated to the game? Even though some of the hotfixes may be unstable right now but weren't some of them unstable back then too? Instead of having all of the users who don't really know how to code twiddle their thumbs for another year or more, why can't we just bring back the occasional hotfix to FoFiX so you can have more than just the devs post criticism and report problems! I hear weirdpeople has things for the next version of 4.000 since it isn't compatible with the latest alpha, along with Guitar Hero based themes and we shouldn't have to all be running from Python sources. it was so much easier just overwriting a couple files and enabling features that we should have never lost, or have a bug fixed w/o waiting over a year and a half again.
Again, I know someone will bring up running the game from sources but we shouldn't have to install all the crap unless we were actually DEVELOPING the game!!!

tl;dr BRING BACK HOTFIXES.

This is more of what the alpha releases were supposed to be for.

Loquesea wrote:Can you put in the fofix4.0 something like "FretButtonsAnimation" to have more resemblance to the Original Guitar Hero? (1, 2, 3 , WT...). If you can see in the Original Guitar Hero, the frets have a little animation when the fret hit the note, and I Think with "FretButtonsAnimation" we can get this little animation like the Guitar Hero games.

Sorry, but my English is so poor :(

Bye!

It's possible to implement but it would be a bit of extra work for something so minor. It was requested before quite awhile ago, so maybe someone will want to do it.
Love4Boobies

Postby Love4Boobies » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:14 am

Hi,

I've been playing with the FoFiX source code as a break from my own hobby projects and thus have a couple of questions:

• The Wikipedia page on FoF says that FoFiX was forked from FoF version 1.2.451. Out of curiosity, was it ever synchronized with the latest revision? (I'm talking about the repo, not the latest version, i.e., 1.3.110.) If not, that might prove a little difficult now, even if it's not really a big issue.
  • How active is development at this time? I did notice a few commits but is any progress actually being made? Are patches accepted? :wink:
  • Nightly builds (or at least weekly builds) sound like a good idea---they would get more people testing it. If space is a problem, older builds could be automatically discarded.
  • Might be a good idea to make some packs easily accessible. I have quite a few friends which never really bothered with FoF or FoFiX because Guitar Hero is just so much easier to set up... What do you think? The community could help a bit here, of course...

Cheers,
Bogdan
ca1n3

Postby ca1n3 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:57 pm

Love4Boobies wrote:
[*]How active is development at this time? I did notice a few commits but is any progress actually being made? Are patches accepted? :wink:
[*]Nightly builds (or at least weekly builds) sound like a good idea---they would get more people testing it. If space is a problem, older builds could be automatically discarded.

Cheers,
Bogdan

YES! I have been wanting to post and ask someone if they can compile the absolute latest build for windows for me. I have been trying in my spare time to do it myself, but only got as far as installing msysGIT and then got totally lost :blink: . I know it may not be stable, might crash, etc, etc. But I don't care, if it works then it works. I realize nightly builds is probably alot of extra work for you guys, but the alpha I downloaded came out on Nov 27, and since then there are no new updates to download for those that aren't directly involved in the development.

It seems like there have been some nice developments since then, so please someone help out us non coders :2thumbsup:

Return to “FoFiX”