FoFiX 4.0.0 Development Thread

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
This topic is 2 years and 4 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
abloobloo
RedShadow

Re: FoFiX 4.0.0 Development Thread

Postby RedShadow » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:52 pm

FoFiX 4.0.0... it sounds so cool :P
Great job guys :D
weirdpeople

Postby weirdpeople » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:53 pm

amak11 wrote:Could you guys work on optimizing the game a little bit. Just to say using the Py 2.4 version, running 4 players eats 1.5 gigs of memory. That way a lot of us can move up to the py 2.6 version without issues. Also thank you guys for all the work you've done

then next verstion (4.0) will be optimise so much more than the current version we should theoretically get 3 times the frame rate also
Developer of clone hero, and Former FoFiX developer
Uncle Fester
slantyr

Postby slantyr » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:08 pm

amak11 wrote:Could you guys work on optimizing the game a little bit. Just to say using the Py 2.4 version, running 4 players eats 1.5 gigs of memory. That way a lot of us can move up to the py 2.6 version without issues. Also thank you guys for all the work you've done

have you tried the 2.6 version?

it is far less memory greedy

@ devs, very nice work

you guys don't get enough recognition for the hours of pouring through the python code trying to make everyone happy.

thank you :)
Wait what
evilbobthebob

Postby evilbobthebob » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:10 pm

Nice to see FoFiX moving along. As a bonus, you already fixed one of the issues (304) in 3.120 :smile:
All my songs | My Hero Project: A Hero
The Smart Way to Ask Questions

Spoiler:ummmmm hey guys
you suck because I said so
I know everything about art guys
what you make is worthless because you use photos
allow me to bash you and not prove I hold any talent of my own guys
guys guys guys
look at me
I need attention

The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:25 pm

slantyr wrote:

have you tried the 2.6 version?

it is far less memory greedy

@ devs, very nice work

you guys don't get enough recognition for the hours of pouring through the python code trying to make everyone happy.

thank you :)

2.6 is not friendly towards my computer. Even when i turn off all the performance enhancing features. My computer should (in theory) be able to run FOFix at high frame rates. 2.4 runs beautifly but it's not multiplayer freindly
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Barbalbero

Postby Barbalbero » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:32 am

Congrats for the excellent work done until now ^^
If I can suggest a path to follow for developers, I'll stop adding features for now, and try to correct once and for all the stutter/lag problem, which is the biggest gameplay issue in my opinion.

I don't know if it's because of python or the fact that is involved a lot of 2D graphics to sync plus many calculations on every note, but sometimes I get around 15-20 fps even with Uberlight theme+Pure Speed settings on my Acer 5920G (Core Duo 2.0Ghz, 2G RAM, nVidia 8600m GT), only when there're many notes on screen, but these sections are almost unplayable :(

Actually changing theme (I tried Megalight, RB2, GH3), adding 3D notes or AA doesn't change almost anything, so my guess is that calculations are the culprit here.

It's theoretically possible to achieve constant 60fps, at least on a machine like mine, without major overhaul of the current structure ora changing code (from python to...)? I ask out of curiosity, just to know what are the limits of what can be done ^_^

P.S. I'm using 3.120 RC1 (2.6), I've yet to try the final. 2.4 doesn't work (gives me an error o_O)
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:36 am

@Barbalbero - As far as I'm aware, the biggest plans for 4.0.0 are to rewrite a bunch of code which will hopefully (fingers crossed) result in both a performance boost AND a bunch of new features for themes.
Barbalbero

Postby Barbalbero » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:38 am

death_au wrote:@Barbalbero - As far as I'm aware, the biggest plans for 4.0.0 are to rewrite a bunch of code which will hopefully (fingers crossed) result in both a performance boost AND a bunch of new features for themes.

Thanks, I'll impatiently wait for those changes :D
Keep up the good work!
pimpinpalomo

Postby pimpinpalomo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:03 am

death_au wrote:@Barbalbero - As far as I'm aware, the biggest plans for 4.0.0 are to rewrite a bunch of code which will hopefully (fingers crossed) result in both a performance boost AND a bunch of new features for themes.

I'm looking forward to the performance boost. I haven't been able to use any of the new versions because of my ancient computer (getting close to 9 years old). I am using 3.030 right now, which is great, but it doesn't have many of the newer features.

Looking forward to 4.0.0! :2thumbsup:
Keep up the good work.
The tux power
Borisdsp

Postby Borisdsp » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:32 am

FoFiX 4.0? Nice :drool:
Team Meteorito Official Member
Happ E Nose

Postby Happ E Nose » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:10 am

Typhus wrote:Ok! Let's move on. :2thumbsup:

Up until now I've been running on Python 2.4, so I think now it's a perfect time to step into the next stage and go Python 2.6.

Agreed! Time to pull the plug on 2.4 and work on 2.6.

Oh...and it wont be long before someone posts a thread like "where to download fofix 4.0?" :tongue:
I hate when I see that. It looks like a statement but it has a question mark at the end.. :confused:
uksix

Postby uksix » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:27 am

A big announcement really for me, as i have not played FOF or been on any FOF forum for ages, due to having to delete my FOF to make more room and my hardrive, but i have a 300 GB external so im glad to here this.
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:37 am

Thank you, maybe then i can upgrade to 2.6.
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

DRUMZZZ!
Typhus

Postby Typhus » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:00 pm

Hello!

Hey guys, I would like to warn everybody that if we have this:

[mods]
mod_megalight rb notes = True

On our fofix.ini file, the game doesn't run. At least I'm having this trouble running revision 1897 with Python 2.6. If I set it to false, the game runs with no issues.

If it's value is set to "True" this is what I get:

Isn't this weird? Or are you planning on Killing the "megalight RB notes"? I kinda like them...it helps seeing HoPo's.

Anyways, just wanted to warn you.

Cya.

Nothing for now...

Click Here -> Latest W.I.P. song is Ride The Sky by Helloween

Kotti wrote:One of the many songs Typhus made for FoFH3. Check out his song thread, he deserves more recognition than is getting...
lukarocker wrote:Your latest Arch enemy song made my decision! YOU ARE MY NUMBER ONE FRETTER!!!
nariel99 wrote:But luckily , you find the post and were interested in the project. And the result : a pure moment of epicness in Frets on Fire . Once again thank you...
death_au wrote:Power metal covers of pop songs = WIN
+ Frets on Fire = EPIC WIN. Thank you Typhus :thumbup:
OPIK wrote:+ All difficulties included. That's PRECISELY why TYPHUS is in my "Personnal TOP 3 Best Fretters" !
dertanz wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DON'T EVER QUIT... man you are one of my fav charters :crying: you can't quit... if you quit charting I'd quit playing :crying:
DaBackStabber666 wrote:I love your frettings :D
loth wrote:Typhus YOU SO RULE!! I love playing the songs you have fretted! :2thumbsup: Even on Supereasy the accurate representation of the music comes out. What a pleasure playing these, I can't wait for more metal tunes from you. Thanks SO much for doing ALL LEVELS, my fun meter is on high! :thumbup:
THANKS GUYS!!

My Song Thread [ALL DIFFICULTIES] | Alternative/Rock/Metal Genres
Lamb Of God - Ashes Of The Wake -> FULL ALBUM
Lamb Of God - Sacrament -> MASTER TRACKS|FULL ALBUM|ALL INSTRUMENTS
Lamb Of God - Wrath -> MASTER TRACKS|FULL ALBUM|ALL INSTRUMENTS
Check out Puppetz Advanced Song Tutorial, now with instructions on how to use Anchors.
FoFiX Dev/Mod Squad
jstump91

Postby jstump91 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:11 pm

That sounds like some strangeness in the mod (as opposed to theme) code.

It should be addressed at some point in the upcoming code cleanup.
jstump91, a.k.a. john.stumpo, a.k.a. stump
jstump.com | stump's blog | FoFiX development | My own code
Can't find a Windows build of the Python module you need? Try my mediafire!
Don't say "Python can't do [insert task here]." Python can do anything with the right modules - said modules may just not have been written yet.
"Python - why settle for snake oil when you can have the whole snake?" --Mark Jackson
Did you search before you posted? Did you read the rules for the subforum you are posting in?

Return to “FoFiX”