BSOD Hard Lock with 3.120 Beta 1 Py 2.6

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
This topic is 14 years and 10 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
ArmeniusLOD

BSOD Hard Lock with 3.120 Beta 1 Py 2.6

Postby ArmeniusLOD » Thu May 21, 2009 12:46 pm

I just downloaded and tried the new beta of FoFiX. When I started playing one of my songs it immediately started to stutter. Finally when I hit a three-chord note the application locked up. My hard drive was being thrashed and then finally I received the BSOD. After rebooting my computer CHKDSK ran and deleted and recovered somewhere around two dozen indices. This is the first time this has ever happened. The log file for FoFiX contains no error information, but I recorded the details of the BSOD.

Code: Select all

KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
STOP:  *0x0000007A (0xC05CEF10, 0xC000000E, 0xB9DE250C, 0x76475860)
-      atapi.sys:   B9DE250C base at B9DD5000 DateStamp 4802539d

I don't even know why the optical disk system would be throwing an error since I had no disc in the drive at the time and the drive wasn't being accessed.

Forgot to post my machine specs.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3
Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.4 GHz
2 GB RAM
ATI Radeon X600 128MB (newest drivers)
Conexant AC-97 Sound Card

I also ran it again and closed it before hard locking and the log file output the following hundreds of times:

(E) Loading error:Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "GameEngine.pyo", line 945, in main
  File "View.pyo", line 216, in render
  File "GuitarScene.pyo", line 5319, in render
  File "GuitarScene.pyo", line 4068, in getSongPosition
  File "Song.pyo", line 2679, in getPosition
  File "Audio.pyo", line 169, in getPosition
error: mixer system not initialized

OK, now I rolled back to 3.100 Final which was running perfectly fine before, is now locking up in the same and tossing the same errors as 3.120. Frets on Fire isn't working anymore either. I am really upset.
Azzco

Re: BSOD Hard Lock with 3.120 Beta 1 Py 2.6

Postby Azzco » Thu May 21, 2009 1:47 pm

Did you get the BSOD more than once?
I doubt that it's FoFiX causing the problems.
(k)Ubuntu 8.10 skyscraper 2.6.27-11-generic i686 GNU/Linux KDE 4.2.0
It's not like I dislike sleeping, I really do like it to be honest. It's the whole wake up/go to sleep business I don't like.
Slash666

Postby Slash666 » Thu May 21, 2009 3:22 pm

Edited by jstump91: No destructive advice, please, even if it's a joke.
Last edited by jstump91 on Thu May 21, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove questionable advice.
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Postby Lysdestic » Thu May 21, 2009 3:28 pm

Way to be helpful there, Slash.

Now, it does seem as if something deeper lies at the heart of all this.

First and foremost, have you made any changes to your PC lately?

Check those drivers too, definitely. I'd look at video and audio myself. If you have uipdated any recently, roll them back to an older version and try then.

If you have two sticks of ram, I would try each one individually as well, just as general troubleshooting.

I really don't see FoFiX as the cause of this, to be quite honest. I'm betting on some hardware issues.
Last edited by Lysdestic on Thu May 21, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slash666

Postby Slash666 » Thu May 21, 2009 3:32 pm

Just kiding! :laugh:
Azzco

Postby Azzco » Thu May 21, 2009 4:06 pm

Slash666 wrote:Just kiding! :laugh:

Not well accepted, sorry 'bout going OT.

Anyway the first thing I'd check would be running FoFiX On said version again, to make sure it's not because of it.
(k)Ubuntu 8.10 skyscraper 2.6.27-11-generic i686 GNU/Linux KDE 4.2.0
It's not like I dislike sleeping, I really do like it to be honest. It's the whole wake up/go to sleep business I don't like.
Slash666

Postby Slash666 » Thu May 21, 2009 4:25 pm

Try to use system restore maybe, then try it again?
ArmeniusLOD

Postby ArmeniusLOD » Fri May 22, 2009 1:24 pm

Well I missed the release of the Catalyst 9.5 drivers so I updated to those and it *appears* to have fixed the problem. Apparently I read that the 9.3 drivers were having some problems? Before I updated the drivers I got the BSOD two more times when trying 3.100, only those two times the error was coming from win32k.sys. Thankfully the integrity of my hard drive was never compromised again by these crashes. The log file is still showing the "mixer system not initialized" error every so often when playing a song that has a higher bitrate.
Slash666

Postby Slash666 » Fri May 22, 2009 2:10 pm

Better update those drivers myself.
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Fri May 22, 2009 2:19 pm

If i might suggest turn off HT in th BIOS (obviously) and try runing the game again. Your computer will be slower but if you still get a issue with BSOD with it turned off it's not a processor issue or a graphics issue. If you played any other games on it without it crashing, Then it's an issue with the game version.

I want to ask, is your processor socket 775 or 478. If it's 478 You should be running 3.120 BETA 1 PY 2.4. If it's a 775 then you can run 2.6 well.
The reason i ask is because older processors don't like a lot of advanced functions, that the newer processors can handle well, that's why i asked

I got close to the same setup.

P4 HT socket 478 (old processor)
1 gig RAM
Geforce 6200
soundmax integrated audio
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

FoFiX Dev/Mod Squad
jstump91

Postby jstump91 » Fri May 22, 2009 2:26 pm

amak11 wrote:If i might suggest turn off HT in th BIOS (obviously) and try runing the game again. Your computer will be slower but if you still get a issue with BSOD with it turned off it's not a processor issue or a graphics issue. If you played any other games on it without it crashing, Then it's an issue with the game version.

I want to ask, is your processor socket 775 or 478. If it's 478 You should be running 3.120 BETA 1 PY 2.4. If it's a 775 then you can run 2.6 well.
The reason i ask is because older processors don't like a lot of advanced functions, that the newer processors can handle well, that's why i asked

I got close to the same setup.

P4 HT socket 478 (old processor)
1 gig RAM
Geforce 6200
soundmax integrated audio

Hold the phone...

Just what does the processor socket have to do with what version of pyOpenGL should be run?

And what does hyperthreading have to do with graphics?

@Slash: what does System Restore have to do with anything?
jstump91, a.k.a. john.stumpo, a.k.a. stump
jstump.com | stump's blog | FoFiX development | My own code
Can't find a Windows build of the Python module you need? Try my mediafire!
Don't say "Python can't do [insert task here]." Python can do anything with the right modules - said modules may just not have been written yet.
"Python - why settle for snake oil when you can have the whole snake?" --Mark Jackson
Did you search before you posted? Did you read the rules for the subforum you are posting in?
ArmeniusLOD

Postby ArmeniusLOD » Fri May 22, 2009 3:19 pm

It's a socket 775 processor. I think the problem is just Python in general. I do have a newer PC with an Intel QX6700 Quad Core 2.66 GHz, two GeForce 8800GTX, 4GB of RAM, and a Creative Labs X-Fi card, but I can't get FoF to run on Vista x64.

I don't think the loss of overall application performance justifies running only single-threaded because of one program. I use this laptop just for general use while I use my desktop strictly for gaming. Hyper Threading alleviates a lot of the strain of running multiple applications. Like I said, it hasn't crashed since updating the graphic drivers.
FoFiX Dev/Mod Squad
jstump91

Postby jstump91 » Fri May 22, 2009 3:22 pm

I had the feeling it would turn out to be a graphics driver issue.

HT is meaningless in this discussion because FoFiX restricts itself to the first processor anyway. (I personally don't think it should, but...)

Have you tried with Psyco both on and off?
jstump91, a.k.a. john.stumpo, a.k.a. stump
jstump.com | stump's blog | FoFiX development | My own code
Can't find a Windows build of the Python module you need? Try my mediafire!
Don't say "Python can't do [insert task here]." Python can do anything with the right modules - said modules may just not have been written yet.
"Python - why settle for snake oil when you can have the whole snake?" --Mark Jackson
Did you search before you posted? Did you read the rules for the subforum you are posting in?
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Fri May 22, 2009 5:31 pm

jstump91 wrote:...FoFiX restricts itself to the first processor anyway. (I personally don't think it should, but...)

I agree. I think there should be an option put in for single processor affinity, so we can turn that off, restart the game and test.
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Fri May 22, 2009 5:56 pm

Would it be eventually be possible to utilize multiple processors.

jstump91 wrote:Just what does the processor socket have to do with what version of pyOpenGL should be run?

And what does hyperthreading have to do with graphics?

Newer processor socket means better and more efficient processing power.

and hyperthreading helps with performance all around the computer not just in the processor. HT essentially is a safe overclock of the computer. I've seen a processor go from 3.5 ghz down to 2.4 ghz just by turning off HT and everything suffered.
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Return to “FoFiX”