FoFiX rock meter ideas [unlimited]

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
This topic is 13 years and 8 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Blue Heaven!
death_au

FoFiX rock meter ideas [unlimited]

Postby death_au » Thu May 21, 2009 6:38 am

As most people are aware, FoFiX is in need of a theme all of it's own. It's one thing to make FoFiX look like Rock Band, or Guitar Hero, or even standard FoF, but FoFiX currently has no look of it's own. To that end, there will be an official FoFiX theme. When? Who knows? Who by? Hopefully everyone will have something to contribute...
But it will take time. It needs to form slowly and perfectly.

So lets start with something totally basic, yet potentially unlimited. The humble rock meter. A way of telling you how much you Rock! (Or how much you suck). Currently we have two: The rotating arrow meter of Guitar Hero and GH-like themes, and the vertical filling bar of Rock Band fame. Which shall we use? NEITHER!

The challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to come up with something new and original. Something that is neither Rock Band, nor Guitar hero, but is FoFiX.
And don't think it's impossible. People thought 3/4 players, vocals, and even analog whammy was impossible. We have a great team of coders at the moment, and they want to do something new and exciting.

So get to it! Put your thinking caps on, and post your awesome rock meter ideas.
If you are so inclined you may post mock-ups if you wish.
Slash666

Re: FoFiX rock meter ideas [unlimited]

Postby Slash666 » Thu May 21, 2009 7:25 am

I have an idea. If you're doing really bad, blood shows on your screen, kinda like a GOW, but without the skull.
If you're doing really good, everything could glow, or some kinda of a glowing green egde would appear around the screen.
cheezycupcake
Aquarium Fish

Postby Aquarium Fish » Thu May 21, 2009 7:47 am

what if it was kinda like guitar praise with lights exept in a circle
up in the left corner
http://cheezycupcake.webs.com/
R4L wrote:
ivoelmas wrote:I want a mod that disables the pick. I just want to play whithout the pick
And I want a million dollars.
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Thu May 21, 2009 7:59 am

How did I know someone would bring up guitar praise?
For the record, I like the idea. Keep them coming.
Azzco

Postby Azzco » Thu May 21, 2009 8:09 am

Going with the blood idea (though this is not about the rock meter), how about some sort of heart beat sound that pulsates faster and faster untill you loose?

The meter itself is quite a tough nut to crack, a growing flame, or a fading image is about the only things that I can think of...
(k)Ubuntu 8.10 skyscraper 2.6.27-11-generic i686 GNU/Linux KDE 4.2.0
It's not like I dislike sleeping, I really do like it to be honest. It's the whole wake up/go to sleep business I don't like.
cheezycupcake
Aquarium Fish

Postby Aquarium Fish » Thu May 21, 2009 8:33 am

or how about the arrow from Dora the Explorer lol
R4L wrote:
ivoelmas wrote:I want a mod that disables the pick. I just want to play whithout the pick
Azzco

Postby Azzco » Thu May 21, 2009 8:37 am

Aquarium Fish wrote:or how about the arrow from Dora the Explorer lol

You know.. not everyone watches kiddie shows.
It'd probably be better if you could link us or describe a bit more. :P
(k)Ubuntu 8.10 skyscraper 2.6.27-11-generic i686 GNU/Linux KDE 4.2.0
It's not like I dislike sleeping, I really do like it to be honest. It's the whole wake up/go to sleep business I don't like.
hibbet

Postby hibbet » Thu May 21, 2009 9:00 am

hows about a round speaker cone and the more you rock the bigger the speaker gets and maybe changes colour also
(0) <-- The Eye
angellinus

Postby angellinus » Thu May 21, 2009 9:02 am

I do got one:

Spoiler:Image

This rock meter has some changes:
-Instead red,yellow,green it has red to blue.
-It has an overdrive bar below.
-It has a sphere placeholder to indicate how you rock or whose side in a face off the crowd is.

The images:
Row 1 - The face off spheres Red for player 1, Blue for player 2, and White for neutral middle.
Row 2 - The rock meter itself. From the top is the rock top, the middle is the rock fill and overdrive fill , and below is the rock bottom.
Row 3 - The single/band rock sphere that indicates where the fill is in a color.
Row 4 Left - The overdrive full indicates if overdrive is ready.
Row 4 Right - The overdrive glow if overdrive is activated.

Well I don,t criticize this mock up. Well a good comment is appreciated. I will update it to the good of it
cheezycupcake
Aquarium Fish

Postby Aquarium Fish » Thu May 21, 2009 10:10 am

Azzco wrote:
Aquarium Fish wrote:or how about the arrow from Dora the Explorer lol

You know.. not everyone watches kiddie shows.
It'd probably be better if you could link us or describe a bit more. :P

No i was just kidding.
R4L wrote:
Blazemann

Postby Blazemann » Thu May 21, 2009 1:03 pm

I imagine(for the meter) a lightning rod. It hangs down from the top and center of the screen, just above the horizon of the neck. When a note is successfully hit, instead of a small flame, or glow, a bolt of lightning is used, and it extends all the way to the lightning rod. On the top of the screen, attached or on the rod, is a voltmeter. The higher the voltage, the more you rock!!!

Wow. That may be the single most incredible idea I have thought of for FoFiX. EVERYTHING is already accomplishable. And maybe there can be a 3 to 6 image animation of an overcharge on the meter, signaling you are making the minds of your crowd just blow-up!(Jorgen is a funny symbol of FoF) Also, for the Power, maybe put a battey with charger and another meter also attached to the rod, possible on the opposite of the Voltmeter. When that is half full, use becomes available. When full, it might overcharge like the rockmeter, singaling you might as well go ahead and use it.

Please enjoy this idea, I WANT TO SEE IT!
Still Alive
wolferacing

Postby wolferacing » Thu May 21, 2009 6:23 pm

Here's my idea,

Since this Is Frets on Fire I think the "rock meter" should be..well...frets on fire. Simple concept really. Just have fire on the border of the neck (same location of where the lightning effect is when starpower is activated in GH) The notes are like fuel, for the fire. If you don't hit enough notes you don't fuel the fire therefore it dies. So the better you do the bigger and stronger it gets, miss notes the fire weakens and finally dies.
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Thu May 21, 2009 6:27 pm

This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Angellinus, I like that idea. Your graphics could use a bit of work (no offence meant), but the idea is solid and as I requested is different from anything else out there. Rather than having images for the "orbs" though, I think the colours for fail/rock and P1/P2 (for face off) should be defined somewhere and the orb would slowly fade between the two (and perhaps pulsate in time with the beat). And of course there's the rock meter underneath it filling up.

I like Azzco's heartbeat idea, not sure about for an official FoFiX theme, but that would be so awesome in some other theme (the Tool theme comes to mind, but there are many bands/games/movies/etc that could use this idea).
Hibbet's speaker cone one is good too. However I see it less as the main rock meter and more as something in the background or off to one side (or both, being speakers). Similar applies for the heart I guess. And perhaps like the heart pulsing faster, but opposite to the heart in that the faster it is, the better you're doing.

However, I must say I'm a fan of Blazemann's idea. I think especially on fast songs, sending a bolt of lighting up the screen after hitting every note would get annoying. But if we simply make the notes glow or whatever (like the current hitflame system) and show some electricity building up around the rod (from bottom to top) as the volt meter at the top builds up. A short animation when the max is hit (and perhaps another condition, like 4x multiplier) sounds brilliant too. A star power (Jurgen power) meter attached as well sounds good too.
I am really liking this idea :2thumbsup:

Keep them coming though, these are all great ideas so far! I'm impressed!
(well, except the Dora the Explorer one...)

---- EDIT ----

I like wolfracing's idea too :thumbup:
Although when I first imagined it I saw more of a multiplier thing than a rock meter... I.e, when you hit each note the flames from the fretboard get bigger until you hit the next multiplier, then the flames go back to being small, but a different colour, and you build them up again for the next multiplier.

I'm definitely a fan of putting more fire in Frets on Fire X.
(0) <-- The Eye
angellinus

Postby angellinus » Thu May 21, 2009 9:14 pm

Perhaps wolfs idea is good. Better make a concept(if I can).

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

#3 Pro Speed Fretter
Razlo7

Postby Razlo7 » Thu May 21, 2009 9:52 pm

Could be a (animated) flame that gets bigger during yellow to green (and vice versa) then starts freezing over as you hit red? :huh:

Random idea just popped into my head.
Starting fresh. (:

Return to “FoFiX”