FoFiX v3.1xx development thread

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
evilynux

Re: FoFiX v3.1xx development thread

Postby evilynux » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:23 pm

@max26199: First of all, thanks for providing me this very useful feedback.

- thread freezing: that's weird... i suspect there's interference between [gtk's] gobject thread(s) and other python thread(s). Other than my actual workaround and the many experiments i've done, i'm out of ideas...

- audio issue: thanks, i'll add audioresample for now. Note that as time will permit i'll give a try to playbin2 (not playbin), perhaps it'll have less issues. Moreover, with playbin2 it seems easier to grab the video resolution w/o having to use gst.Discoverer (since the video pad is easily accessible).

- only testVideoPlayerLayer() works: do you have little bit of OpenGL knowledge? It's hard for me to debug this w/o being able to test. I'm most likely missing something in the initialization phase (something that either Windows, your driver or your video card requires). Does adding glScissor(0,0,winWidth,winHeight) below glViewport() help?
If not, I'd like you to first try to identify the code required to draw a simple white triangle in a pygame window using OpenGL... If you are unable to do so it's no biggy as the VideoPlayer will likely be only/mostly used as a Layer (that's the first test).
max26199

Postby max26199 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:58 pm

some more testing...

- i get a lot of sound stuttering, because of the fakesink sync. if i disable the sync, sound is fine, but the video then plays way too fast.

- thread freezing: gobject.idle_add(self.player.elements) in combination with iterating-mainloop seems to help, but iam not really sure what it does

- discover: why do you need to manually enter the fps in the VideoPlayerTest? - d.videorate.num could be discovered

... i would really like to test those things on linux, but ati isn't able to update the drivers for newer kernels...
evilynux

Postby evilynux » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:08 pm

@max26199: Ok, i'll have to have a look into this as soon as possible (tonight once at home?)
To answer your question about framerate, actually it's not the video framerate but rather a framerate limiter so we're not monopolizing the CPU. When used as a Layer, it's set to -1 because the GameEngine (actually Engine) takes care of that and it's frequency is greater.

Edit: About AMD/ATI videocard and fglrx. Look for the latest release, it supports kernels 2.6.29 and 2.6.30.
max26199

Postby max26199 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:20 pm

- sound-stuttering: decodebin2 seems to solve my problems :)
gstreamer doc wrote:New applications should use decodebin2 instead of the old decodebin.

video playback is working great now (execpt higher resolution videos (720p), probably because missing hardware acceleration)
I'm Brazilian
Italo_Hellboy

Postby Italo_Hellboy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:38 pm

how can I test it? video playback
Sorry for bad english !! I'm Brazilian
I Wanna Rock
Sogg Nomis

Postby Sogg Nomis » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:41 pm

Italo_Hellboy wrote:how can I test it? video playback

dude seriously. can't you see this has only just been implemented, they are working on it right now and making good progress but unless you are a "ACE" SVN user then you will have to wait like myself for this awesome new feature. please don't distract devs from fixing the video so we can all enjoy it, with having to direct you to forum rules about your request.. seriously if you can't figure it out yourself ....just wait a little longer until it will soon ne there for all to enjoy.
It is still in very early progress
I'm Brazilian
Italo_Hellboy

Postby Italo_Hellboy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:17 pm

sorry ... thank's
Sorry for bad english !! I'm Brazilian
evilynux

Postby evilynux » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:22 am

@max26199: Ok, i think we should get in touch by email. Please contact me.
C++ code is tasty.
raphaelr

Postby raphaelr » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:17 pm

http://www.penjuinlabs.com/blog/?p=94
Looks like Windows-Python 2.6 users are doomed.
Custom Song: Beatsteaks - As I Please (Only Guitar @ Amazing)
Before asking for help, try doing a barrel roll.
alpha tester
hannon

Postby hannon » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:24 pm

raphaelr wrote:http://www.penjuinlabs.com/blog/?p=94
Looks like Windows-Python 2.6 users are doomed.

That's why we only use "select" modules with python and not go all out , or the whole nine yards. we work on what we think will work the best, not what WILL work the best , i posted some stuff but then was told that not everything related to python applies to FOFix its self, that only applies to the module should it choose to be utilized...to my knowledge we don't use pyGTK

Quote:PyGTK for Microsoft Windows

Current releases:

* PyCairo
* PyGObject
* PyGTK

if we need the modules they will be attained and worked with

To the devs i figured out how to goto alpha using svn beta is fun but alpha is better
Buy Rock Band Gear You'll Thank Yourself in the end
Cheaper to buy it in pieces
Drums 50 buxs
Mic 25
Guitar came with GH3
Endless hours of fun Priceless

Postby buttonfire » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:50 pm

i dont get it..
if i switch my python to a new one, will i have a new version of fofix?
I forget. LETS ROCK!
jfosheezy

Postby jfosheezy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:19 pm

so what would be the best os to run this on now
ImageImage
evilynux

Postby evilynux » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:27 pm

hannon wrote:to my knowledge we don't use pyGTK

The VideoPlayer uses pygst (GStreamer) which uses python-gobject (GObject).

Although GObject is not currently part of Gtk+, it used to be (GtkObject). It's now part of GLib.
Gtk+ and GLib have a strong relationship.
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:46 pm

evilynux wrote:The VideoPlayer uses pygst (GStreamer) which uses python-gobject (GObject).

Although GObject is not currently part of Gtk+, it used to be (GtkObject). It's now part of GLib.
Gtk+ and GLib have a strong relationship.

Thank you for pointing that out. It makes more sense now.

I was trying to get The video stuff working off my portable HD and failed miserably (kept getting the "DLL load failed" like the guy in the blog raphaelr posted a link to was getting on Python 2.6)
When I get time* I'll do some more hunting and see if I can find a version of Gtk+ or GLib that has been compiled with VS 2008. Or perhaps see if I can compile it myself... Not looking forward to that.

*I don't know when that will be. I have a busy weekend ahead of me, as well as work...

---- EDIT ----

On a packaging note... In future (4.0.0+) will we have to package full installs of GStreamer and GLib along with FoFiX?
I'd also like to see if we can find a workaround for the Visual Studio 2008 binaries requirement. But I wouldn't really know how to pull that off properly without a Python 2.6 compiled in MinGW or something...
FoFiX Dev/Mod Squad
jstump91

Postby jstump91 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:02 am

I am working on coming up with a nice set of VS2008-compiled binaries for 2.6.

The source dependencies I have to track down are horrendous, but I have GLib, GObject, and their Python bindings working along with the core of GStreamer (but not its Python binding yet until I get plugins-base done).
jstump91, a.k.a. john.stumpo, a.k.a. stump
jstump.com | stump's blog | FoFiX development | My own code
Can't find a Windows build of the Python module you need? Try my mediafire!
Don't say "Python can't do [insert task here]." Python can do anything with the right modules - said modules may just not have been written yet.
"Python - why settle for snake oil when you can have the whole snake?" --Mark Jackson
Did you search before you posted? Did you read the rules for the subforum you are posting in?

Return to “FoFiX”