FoFiX v3.1xx development thread

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Re: FoFiX v3.1xx development thread

Postby death_au » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:08 pm

myfingershurt wrote:I will be going to my hometown for a week on vacation this friday, and I plan to bring my laptop with me so I can take a look at the source again to see what I can figure out for this issue.

I look forward to playing and developing again, it will be a welcome break from my usual routine. :)

Whoo! welcome back!
(InB4Evry1Else)

Seriously though, make sure you enjoy your vacation time and don't waste the whole thing on FoFiX
worldrave

Postby worldrave » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:42 pm

What's up MFH!?!???? Nice to see ya again buddy. Yeah, sorry to hear about GH:WT PC (EU) jumping and such. Luckily it plays just fine and nice on my system. But good for me i guess, since looking at all the graphic pieces, much more ugly then GH3 and GH:A, as it's more like a puzzle of 5000 compared to 1500 pieces or so of GH3. VERY DISCOURAGING!! Anyway, it's been a while, nice to see ya again. :biggrin: Shame no PC edition of GH5 annouced yet or i would just skip to doing that up. In time. I might peak at the 360 version if i get interested enough.
Anyway, just wanted to say hey again to everyone. I'm sure we'll get the jumpy's fixed. Working ok running from SVN sources on my machine, 64bit. I don't play it enough maybe to notice though.
death cube k

Postby death cube k » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:05 am

Help me ,I have problem w/ controller

I used GH2 guitar , I can input key in controller setting
but when I test it in test key nothing happened

Please help me :crying: :crying: :crying:
Queen of The Stupid Age - "Sig, Sig, Sig "
ardutz

Postby ardutz » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:14 am

ok, lag and song problem solved, thx :).

but, now i've got problem with crowd sound... it only plays on green although i've already ENABLEd it for "SP and green".

me and my friends love to hear the crowd, it pumps our spirits... :D

is it becoz of of the RC1 version? coz, it works well in beta 2. thx
Jack of all Trades
BlackJack

Postby BlackJack » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:27 am

And here's the RC of the French translation I just finished*.

Every single string has been translated, and boy, there were many (hence why I've decided to delay the update of the Pig-Latin translation for a while -- on the opposite, the English Reverse translation from v3.100 doesn't need any update and will work straight away with FOFiX 3.120. Woot! :thumbup: ).

Also, regarding revision #1737, I don't know what happened, since all my translations (pig-latin, french reform, and english reverse) do contain a Last-Translator field. :huh:
Whatever, the name's Jack Black (BlackJack).

Random notes :
  • For consistency (inter alia), "french_(reform_1990).mo" is now entirely lowercase.
  • Some translators that were moved from Contributors to Translators not only contributed with their translations, but also helped in other departments as well (for example, fablaculp did a bit of coding, IINM). However I don't know if it's okay to have them listed several times...

[EDIT :]
In player.py,

Code: Select all

a.append("%s conflicts with %s" % (keyName(value)", keyName(self.getMapping(key))))
should be made translatable.

//EDIT : of course, "3.120" and not "1.320". :rolleyes:
Last edited by BlackJack on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Than != Then. It's != Its. Of != Have. Your != You're. Their != There != They're.
alpha tester
hannon

Postby hannon » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:33 am

death cube k wrote:Help me ,I have problem w/ controller

please read this
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=41608

would someone like to sticky that? if we are goin to have questions and issues, my post can be very helpful in addressing that "user" issue :wink:
Buy Rock Band Gear You'll Thank Yourself in the end
Cheaper to buy it in pieces
Drums 50 buxs
Mic 25
Guitar came with GH3
Endless hours of fun Priceless

Postby coolguy567 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:18 pm

hence why I've decided to delay the update of the Pig-Latin translation for a while.
Just automate it. :tongue:

Spoiler:

OzzyOzrock wrote:
Electro Tomato wrote:
Sealclubber wrote:I believe the proper term for these notes are "EPIC NOTES" due to the fact that they are EPIC!!!!

Memes are so funny hahaha I'm splitting with laughter I can't control this laughter at this meme which uses a word incorrectly oh hahaha

:glare:

That was EPIC.

My songs. All made in EOF, beat-synced and note-synced, not very many missed notes.
Switchfoot - Meant to Live (now with drums)
Delirious? - Investigate (Live)
space warrior
akedrou

Postby akedrou » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:09 pm

BlackJack wrote:*now, a good idea would be that french-speaking people test it, so that I can post an issue on Google code and release the final version ASAP (preferably, before FoFix v1.320 final). :wink:

So you're aware... The plan (barring any ridiculous problems) is to release this weekend. The RC was mostly to get packaging worked out (and aren't you all glad we did that).
FoFiX dev | Troublemaker | Malcontent
Jack of all Trades
BlackJack

Postby BlackJack » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:41 am

akedrou wrote:So you're aware... The plan (barring any ridiculous problems) is to release this weekend.

Hopefully, by this time the few mistakes/typos/etc. of my translation will have been squashed.
I already fixed a few errors (and silently updated the archive I posted earlier); the only things left should be the non-translatable strings, which, IINM, are not that much... I only found 2 of them : besides the "%s conflicts with %s" I already mentioned, there is also a "None" (in controller settings, when a controller is set to "<None>"), something that can be fixed after v3.120 since it's quite the opposite of a show-stopper. :tongue:

In case I don't reach the deadline, feel free to take the RC1 of my translation (it's better than to keep the old one, with all these new strings you nasty coders added between 3.100 and 3.120 :biggrin: ).

• 2 questions :

1. The "Tails" settings from the Shaders menu seems to only affect RB-style themes.
    Could this option be extended to GH-like themes? I'm dying to use RB2 shader tails with GH3 notes.

2. Is the "Press Start to Begin!" text on the controller select screen resizable?
    I haven't seen anything on the Wiki, but I may have overlooked it.
    Same goes for the player name on the Game Results Screen (all the "result_stats_"'s position can be modified in theme.ini, safe for the player name, apparently).

• More about the infamous "connection lost" error.

• 2 suggestions :

1. to make the character creation menu's help scroll, like the help text of the Options Menu.

2. to improve the key conflicts handling : currently, the "%d more conflicts." message pops up several times, with a description of a conflict between each (if you only have 4 conflicts, you have to press <Okay> 10 times in a row... only then are you allowed to change the keys).
    There could be a 4th option (in addition to "don't check", "notify" and "enforce"), that would notify about a conflict, then let the user change the keys on the fly; e.g. : "Controller 2 Action 2 conflicts with Controller 3 Action 2. Press a key for Controller 2 Action 2 or hold Escape to disable." Then : "Press a key for Controller 3 Action 2 or hold Escape to disable."

• 2 very trivial things that IMO don't deserve a dedicated issue on google code (someone correct me if I'm wrong :wink: ) :

1.Though it doesn't seem to affect the game, the log file always report this error (right after checking MIDI output ports):

(E) 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe9 in position 31: ordinal not in range(128)Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "Input.pyo", line 62, in <module>
      File "Log.pyo", line 77, in <lambda>
      File "Log.pyo", line 61, in log
    UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe9 in position 31: ordinal not in range(128)

2. When creating (or editing) a new controller, depending on if you press right or left to set the "Controller Type", the default keys won't always be the same! :huh:
    Example : try to select "Standard Guitar" by pressing right : Solo Fret #1 is set to "disabled".
    Try to select the same "Standard Guitar", pressing left, this time : Solo Fret #1 is now set to F6 : looks like "Standard Guitar" magically inherited from a "Solo Shift Guitar" key. :woot:
Than != Then. It's != Its. Of != Have. Your != You're. Their != There != They're.
space warrior
akedrou

Postby akedrou » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:08 am

BlackJack wrote:
  • 2 questions :

1. The "Tails" settings from the Shaders menu seems to only affect RB-style themes.
    Could this option be extended to GH-like themes? I'm dying to use RB2 shader tails with GH3 notes.

2. Is the "Press Start to Begin!" text on the controller select screen resizable?
    I haven't seen anything on the Wiki, but I may have overlooked it.
    Same goes for the player name on the Game Results Screen (all the "result_stats_"'s position can be modified in theme.ini, safe for the player name, apparently).

1. Probably next version.
2. Possibly... but I don't want to dig throught the theme/GRS code right now. If not it will be.

BlackJack wrote:
  • More about the infamous "connection lost" error.

Lesson: clear your cache after changing your library. (This will be fixed in 4.0)

BlackJack wrote:
  • 2 suggestions :

1. to make the character creation menu's help scroll, like the help text of the Options Menu.

2. to improve the key conflicts handling : currently, the "%d more conflicts." message pops up several times, with a description of a conflict between each (if you only have 4 conflicts, you have to press <Okay> 10 times in a row... only then are you allowed to change the keys).
    There could be a 4th option (in addition to "don't check", "notify" and "enforce"), that would notify about a conflict, then let the user change the keys on the fly; e.g. : "Controller 2 Action 2 conflicts with Controller 3 Action 2. Press a key for Controller 2 Action 2 or hold Escape to disable." Then : "Press a key for Controller 3 Action 2 or hold Escape to disable."

1. Good idea. Is there an issue for it already?
2. Huh. That's goofy. It's supposed to show Conflict, Conflict, Conflict, X more - so as to not make you hit enter 1000 times... I'll check that now. The on-the-fly change is planned.

BlackJack wrote:
  • 2 very trivial things that IMO don't deserve a dedicated issue on google code (someone correct me if I'm wrong :wink: ) :

1.Though it doesn't seem to affect the game, the log file always report this error (right after checking MIDI output ports):

(E) 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe9 in position 31: ordinal not in range(128)Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "Input.pyo", line 62, in <module>
      File "Log.pyo", line 77, in <lambda>
      File "Log.pyo", line 61, in log
    UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe9 in position 31: ordinal not in range(128)

2. When creating (or editing) a new controller, depending on if you press right or left to set the "Controller Type", the default keys won't always be the same! :huh:
    Example : try to select "Standard Guitar" by pressing right : Solo Fret #1 is set to "disabled".
    Try to select the same "Standard Guitar", pressing left, this time : Solo Fret #1 is now set to F6 : looks like "Standard Guitar" magically inherited from a "Solo Shift Guitar" key. :woot:

1. I'd guess your MIDI port's name includes é... which is not understood.
2. Most keys are cleared out. Apparently Solo Fret 1 is not. A quick fix.
death cube k

Postby death cube k » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:25 am

hannon wrote:
death cube k wrote:Help me ,I have problem w/ controller

please read this
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=41608

would someone like to sticky that? if we are goin to have questions and issues, my post can be very helpful in addressing that "user" issue :wink:

Thx man :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Queen of The Stupid Age - "Sig, Sig, Sig "
space warrior
akedrou

Postby akedrou » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:38 am

BlackJack wrote:And here's the RC of the French translation I just finished*.

I updated the messages.pot with a few strings, and I updated each of the complete translations with the new POT file (German, Italian and Spanish) and made sure of all the encodings and such.

Also, BlackJack, please include the po file as well when you submit your final version.
Wait what
evilbobthebob

Postby evilbobthebob » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:13 am

akedrou, whatever you fixed with neck rendering in the last revision works a treat, I haven't had any random jumps :woot:

Next thing to optimise would be note rendering, there's quite a framerate drop when a long stream of chords comes up.

Also, I think I may have discovered the problem with vocals. It seems that either the bars which show the pitch of the note are in the wrong place, or the game is rewarding you for singing in the pitch below the real one (I'm not sure by how much, perhaps a semitone). I deduced this by getting the AI to play a song; it was getting full points for 'singing' below the notes. This happened with both pitch analysis codes; however, PitchAnalyzer.py seemed to be slightly more accurate (the AI was 'singing' a little closer to the notes). Hope this helps :smile:
All my songs | My Hero Project: A Hero
The Smart Way to Ask Questions

Spoiler:ummmmm hey guys
you suck because I said so
I know everything about art guys
what you make is worthless because you use photos
allow me to bash you and not prove I hold any talent of my own guys
guys guys guys
look at me
I need attention

Jack of all Trades
BlackJack

Postby BlackJack » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:45 am

akedrou wrote:1. Probably next version.
2. Possibly... but I don't want to dig throught the theme/GRS code right now. If not it will be.

1. Great! You're my hero.
2. I did before asking, and though my python-knowledge is less than stellar, IINM it isn't customizable through theme.ini (yet). That's minor visual stuff, anyway. :smile:

akedrou wrote:Good idea. Is there an issue for it already?

Not yet. I'll make one ASAP (unless someone already thought about it and beat me to it).

akedrou wrote:I'd guess your MIDI port's name includes é... which is not understood.

You hit it right on the nail : the 3rd port indeed has a "é"; the others show up correctly :

(D) MIDI output port count = 4
(D) MIDI Output port 0 found: SB X-Fi Synth B [CC00]
(D) MIDI Output port 1 found: SB X-Fi Synth A [CC00]
(D) MIDI Output port 2 found: Port MIDI SB X-Fi [CC00]

Since it doesn't affect anything, it's OK.

akedrou wrote:I updated the messages.pot with a few strings, and I updated each of the complete translations with the new POT file (German, Italian and Spanish) and made sure of all the encodings and such.

Also, BlackJack, please include the po file as well when you submit your final version.

That's what I had planned. And since I may be away for the next days, here is the latest .po and .mo for the french and english reversed (before I saw the latter wasn't working anymore :sad: ), modified according to your latest update on messages.pot.

Concerning the translations :

• msgid "Portuguese (Brazilian)" won't work; "Brazilian Portuguese" will (the msgids of the translations must be based on the name of the .mo -- in this case, "brazilian_portuguese.mo" --, following 2 rules : "_" is being replaced by spaces, in game, and the whole stuff is case-insensitive).
    I suggest renaming the .mo file to "portuguese_(brazilian).mo" (inter alia, it saves the need to edit all the translation files again :tongue: ).

• msgid "Hebrew", and msgid "Polish" are missing from messages.pot, despite being in the translations folder.
    I suggest removing them; they haven't been updated in a while (since Vanilla FoF, IINM), and I don't mind keeping them considering incomplete translations are better than nothing, but FoFix doesn't display these properly because international.ttf isn't used (unlike the original FoF) when the aforementioned languages are selected.
    Moreover :

• I just noticed that somewhere between v3.100 and v3.120 [EDIT : I just checked : it isn't working in 3.100; it did use to work in an earlier version, though], support for languages that are written from right to left has been broken (for the record, such languages translate msgid "__lefttoright__" to "__righttoleft__" to display the characters correctly; cf. Data.py). Therefore, Hebrew and English (Reversed) (which relies on this "trick") aren't displayed like they should (read: it looks like the hard-coded English strings are used instead).
Happ E Nose

Postby Happ E Nose » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:24 am

I think we should make BlackJack a member on the google code page so he could update the translation himself, instead of having to post the .mo/.po here every time he updates it.

His duty can be 'Translate UI text and documentation to new locales' like the other two translators. :smile:

Return to “FoFiX”