SVN - A tutorial to keep your FoFiX (or FretsOnFire) updated

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
This topic is 14 years and 10 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
FoFiX Dev/Mod Squad
jstump91

Re: SVN - A tutorial to keep your FoFiX (or FretsOnFire) updated

Postby jstump91 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:39 pm

As of r1198, SQLite is a required dependency, not optional anymore, which means the pysqlite2 module must be installed if you are running 2.4. (2.6 includes an equivalent module in the base install of Python itself.)

Either installing pysqlite2 (link on the 2.4 wiki page) or moving up to 2.6 will solve your problem.
jstump91, a.k.a. john.stumpo, a.k.a. stump
jstump.com | stump's blog | FoFiX development | My own code
Can't find a Windows build of the Python module you need? Try my mediafire!
Don't say "Python can't do [insert task here]." Python can do anything with the right modules - said modules may just not have been written yet.
"Python - why settle for snake oil when you can have the whole snake?" --Mark Jackson
Did you search before you posted? Did you read the rules for the subforum you are posting in?
slugsey

Postby slugsey » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:17 pm

When I play songs, I can only hear the backup guitar track and the vocal track. When I looked through the logs, I found this

Code: Select all

(W) Unable to load guitar track: global name 'StreamingOggSound' is not defined
(W) Unable to load rhythm track: global name 'StreamingOggSound' is not defined
(W) Unable to load drum track: global name 'StreamingOggSound' is not defined

Any idea what could be causing this? I'm on a mac with the most recent sources and I'm pretty sure that I have all the right packages installed.
Shoddy Battle - Free online Pokémon battle simulator
FoFiX Dev/Mod Squad
jstump91

Postby jstump91 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:57 pm

slugsey wrote:When I play songs, I can only hear the backup guitar track and the vocal track. When I looked through the logs, I found this

(W) Unable to load guitar track: global name 'StreamingOggSound' is not defined
(W) Unable to load rhythm track: global name 'StreamingOggSound' is not defined
(W) Unable to load drum track: global name 'StreamingOggSound' is not defined

Any idea what could be causing this? I'm on a mac with the most recent sources and I'm pretty sure that I have all the right packages installed.

Are you sure you have pyogg and pyvorbis? Those messages seem to indicate that one or both of them is missing.

(If you can type:

python -c "import ogg.vorbis"

without getting any errors, they're set up right.)
jstump91, a.k.a. john.stumpo, a.k.a. stump
jstump.com | stump's blog | FoFiX development | My own code
Can't find a Windows build of the Python module you need? Try my mediafire!
Don't say "Python can't do [insert task here]." Python can do anything with the right modules - said modules may just not have been written yet.
"Python - why settle for snake oil when you can have the whole snake?" --Mark Jackson
Did you search before you posted? Did you read the rules for the subforum you are posting in?
slugsey

Postby slugsey » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:54 pm

Hmm you're right. There doesn't appear to be a working pyogg or pyvorbis that I can find for 2.5, and pyobjc won't work when I try to use 2.4. Has anyone actually got it set up well on a mac?
trinidude4

Postby trinidude4 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:25 am

slugsey wrote:Hmm you're right. There doesn't appear to be a working pyogg or pyvorbis that I can find for 2.5, and pyobjc won't work when I try to use 2.4. Has anyone actually got it set up well on a mac?

I can run fof from source on my mac, but I used macports instead of fink. I can post up pyogg, pyvorbis, and pyobjc for python 2.4, 2.5, or 2.6. I had to install pyogg and pyvorbis from source after applying a bunch of patches. Which version of python do you want to use?

--Edit--

In my opinion, python2.5 is the best version to use for fof right now, so here is a zip with the compiled versions of pyogg, pyvorbis, and pyobjc2 for python 2.5:
http://www.mediafire.com/?duy4ttmn0mw
Just drop everything in the zip into your python 2.5 site-packages directory. If you just need pyogg and pyvorbis, you only need to copy the "ogg" folder and pyogg and pyvorbis info files into your site-packages directory. Everything else in the zip is for pyobjc2.
LosBadylos

Postby LosBadylos » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:54 pm

How can i make .exe or some kind of shortcut, 'cause running it all the time from the command line is pretty annoying.
Cutting Briers
Qwedgeonline

Postby Qwedgeonline » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:15 pm

Mac SVN Instructions

Step 1. Download SVNX for Mac

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15527

Step 2. Click the Spoiler Below

Spoiler:HOW TO: Set up svnX on OS X for accessing an SVN repository

This HOW TO covers a complete method for interacting with a Subversion repository on Mac OS X, using the svnX GUI application.

Setting up svnX

First, download the svnX application from:

Next, you will need the subversion client binary, called simply svn. I have compiled a universal static binary (version 1.3.2) which should run on any OS X system. Download it here: svn.tar.bz2

Put this binary where you'd like to keep it. For now, I will assume it is in a folder called "/Users/myname/Applications/". Replace this path with wherever you decide to keep the svn binary.

Install the svnX application just as you would any other OS X application: Double-click the .dmg file to mount it, and drag the application to your Applications folder:

Run svnX by double-clicking its icon. You should see two windows appear, called Repositories and Working Copies

First, an explanation. When working with version control, there is always a "central repository" which keeps a kind of "master copy" of the documents for your project. Workflow is as follows: You "check out" the documents you want from the repository, modify them, and then you "commit" your changes. The Subversion system takes care of tracking changes between versions, so that if you "commit" a change, but later decide you need a previous version, you can get it. Subversion also supports operations such as moving files, renaming files, deleting files, and adding new files. These must usually be done through svnX, rather than through OS X's Finder, so that the repository knows about your changes.

As it stands, svnX expects a copy of the svn binary to be located in your system at the wrong place. We must tell it where we put this file that you have downloaded. Go to Preferences under the svnX menu:

In the text box called Path to svn binaries folder, insert the path to wherever you stored the svn file: /Users/myname/Applications/

Now svnX knows where to find svn. Let's try adding a repository. Click on the "+" symbol in the Repositories window:

Fill it out with your repository server information. The Name can be anything you want, and the Path must be a URL indicating the server and path where the repository is located. It usually begins with http:// for repositories hosted on the web, and with svn+ssh:// for repositories accessed through SSH. Another possibility is that your URL starts with https://. Unfortunately svnX has some problems with https, but they can be easily resolved, as described here.

Once you fill out this information, double click on the entry in the list at the top of the window. You will get a window displaying the contents of the repository:

You can see buttons for copying files, renaming (moving) files, making new diretories, and deleting files. We will revisit these concepts soon. For now we will deal with simply modifying an existing file.

Working with svnX

To work on the project, you must first check it out. Click on the svn checkout button at the top. A file dialog will be displayed. You must enter the location where you wish to make your local copy of the project. (Your "working copy".) Usually you will create a new folder somewhere, and choose it. A new entry will appear in the Working Copies window.

You may now make any changes you wish. In the example, we have added a line to README.txt, using TextEdit. We now wish to commit our changes.

Going back to svnX, we see our working copy listed in the Working Copies window. Double-clicking it presents us with a list of modified files.

In this case, only README.txt has been modified. Double-clicking it will show us the local copy. More interesting is the FileMerge button. It shows you the differences between the working copy and the latest version in the repository:

In a case where two people have modified the same file, this window can be used to "resolve" conflicts. In most cases, two people will not edit the same lines of the same file, and thus the merge will be quite straight-forward. However, in such rare cases, the FileMerge dialog allows you to choose whether to use the lines in the repository or the edited lines in the working copy.

Clicking on the commit button, once you are satisfied with FileMerge, commits the changes to the repository. It also increases the revision number. You will be presented with a dialog allowing you to annotate your changes. It is highly recommended that you properly document your reasons for making a change. From experience, even if it is a single line explaining your reasoning, you will be rewarded later by not having to guess at your own (or others') reasoning. Additionally, comments entered here can later be retrieved for release notes and documentation purposes.

Once your changes are committed, they should disapear from the list of modified files.

Note that any commit increases the revision number for the whole repository. This is by design. It means that you can know exactly what state the project is in only by providing a single revision number.

Going back to the Repositories dialog, we can see that our annotated change has been noted:

Last edited by Qwedgeonline on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can we get this forum going again?
slugsey

Postby slugsey » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:39 pm

trinidude4 wrote:In my opinion, python2.5 is the best version to use for fof right now, so here is a zip with the compiled versions of pyogg, pyvorbis, and pyobjc2 for python 2.5:
http://www.mediafire.com/?duy4ttmn0mw
Just drop everything in the zip into your python 2.5 site-packages directory. If you just need pyogg and pyvorbis, you only need to copy the "ogg" folder and pyogg and pyvorbis info files into your site-packages directory. Everything else in the zip is for pyobjc2.

Thanks a lot, that works great :2thumbsup: ! This should definitely be added to the first post to help other mac users.

Hopefully this will make my RROD go by less painfully :sad:
Quimbinator

Postby Quimbinator » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:36 pm

Hey, great steps. But when i downloaded the opengl.gl module and i tried running the game, then went to play a song the song just doesn't seem to load.
I just don't know what to do, got any ideas?

(Also, this came up in command prompt when I tried to do the same thing if it helps)

Xbox Live Gamertag - Quimbinator
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:33 am

Quimbinator wrote:Image

you need to go to fofix\src to run it
(0) <-- The Eye
angellinus

Postby angellinus » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:30 am

If this is answered then please still answer this.

After I finished the download and ready to play, i cannot see the Frets on Fire Application. Is this an update and to be copied on your previous frets on fire or is there any other way to run this?(IM SUCH A NEWB because i downloaded the SVN client only today.)
Blue Heaven!
death_au

Postby death_au » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:54 am

This seems to be needing to be said everywhere at the moment in one form or another, so I'm going to make it bigger than usual....

Using SVN downloads the source files only. It's up to you to get the required python modules and run from source or compile yourself.

If you can't handle this then alpha testing is not for you

Alpha testing is for testing, not just to look at the latest stuff.
abloobloo
RedShadow

Postby RedShadow » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:05 pm

Qwedgeonline wrote:Mac SVN Instructions

Step 1. Download SVNX for Mac

Step 2. Click the Spoiler Below

Spoiler:HOW TO: Set up svnX on OS X for accessing an SVN repository

This HOW TO covers a complete method for interacting with a Subversion repository on Mac OS X, using the svnX GUI application.

Setting up svnX

First, download the svnX application from:

Next, you will need the subversion client binary, called simply svn. I have compiled a universal static binary (version 1.3.2) which should run on any OS X system. Download it here: svn.tar.bz2

Put this binary where you'd like to keep it. For now, I will assume it is in a folder called "/Users/myname/Applications/". Replace this path with wherever you decide to keep the svn binary.

Install the svnX application just as you would any other OS X application: Double-click the .dmg file to mount it, and drag the application to your Applications folder:

Run svnX by double-clicking its icon. You should see two windows appear, called Repositories and Working Copies

First, an explanation. When working with version control, there is always a "central repository" which keeps a kind of "master copy" of the documents for your project. Workflow is as follows: You "check out" the documents you want from the repository, modify them, and then you "commit" your changes. The Subversion system takes care of tracking changes between versions, so that if you "commit" a change, but later decide you need a previous version, you can get it. Subversion also supports operations such as moving files, renaming files, deleting files, and adding new files. These must usually be done through svnX, rather than through OS X's Finder, so that the repository knows about your changes.

As it stands, svnX expects a copy of the svn binary to be located in your system at the wrong place. We must tell it where we put this file that you have downloaded. Go to Preferences under the svnX menu:

In the text box called Path to svn binaries folder, insert the path to wherever you stored the svn file: /Users/myname/Applications/

Now svnX knows where to find svn. Let's try adding a repository. Click on the "+" symbol in the Repositories window:

Fill it out with your repository server information. The Name can be anything you want, and the Path must be a URL indicating the server and path where the repository is located. It usually begins with http:// for repositories hosted on the web, and with svn+ssh:// for repositories accessed through SSH. Another possibility is that your URL starts with https://. Unfortunately svnX has some problems with https, but they can be easily resolved, as described here.

Once you fill out this information, double click on the entry in the list at the top of the window. You will get a window displaying the contents of the repository:

You can see buttons for copying files, renaming (moving) files, making new diretories, and deleting files. We will revisit these concepts soon. For now we will deal with simply modifying an existing file.

Working with svnX

To work on the project, you must first check it out. Click on the svn checkout button at the top. A file dialog will be displayed. You must enter the location where you wish to make your local copy of the project. (Your "working copy".) Usually you will create a new folder somewhere, and choose it. A new entry will appear in the Working Copies window.

You may now make any changes you wish. In the example, we have added a line to README.txt, using TextEdit. We now wish to commit our changes.

Going back to svnX, we see our working copy listed in the Working Copies window. Double-clicking it presents us with a list of modified files.

In this case, only README.txt has been modified. Double-clicking it will show us the local copy. More interesting is the FileMerge button. It shows you the differences between the working copy and the latest version in the repository:

In a case where two people have modified the same file, this window can be used to "resolve" conflicts. In most cases, two people will not edit the same lines of the same file, and thus the merge will be quite straight-forward. However, in such rare cases, the FileMerge dialog allows you to choose whether to use the lines in the repository or the edited lines in the working copy.

Clicking on the commit button, once you are satisfied with FileMerge, commits the changes to the repository. It also increases the revision number. You will be presented with a dialog allowing you to annotate your changes. It is highly recommended that you properly document your reasons for making a change. From experience, even if it is a single line explaining your reasoning, you will be rewarded later by not having to guess at your own (or others') reasoning. Additionally, comments entered here can later be retrieved for release notes and documentation purposes.

Once your changes are committed, they should disapear from the list of modified files.

Note that any commit increases the revision number for the whole repository. This is by design. It means that you can know exactly what state the project is in only by providing a single revision number.

Going back to the Repositories dialog, we can see that our annotated change has been noted:

SVNX didn't work for me, It crashes every time I try to get in the SVN resources...

Also i think you forgot to put the link to the "subversion client binary, called simply svn."
Slash666

Postby Slash666 » Fri May 08, 2009 2:15 pm

One question. To install Glew, do I have to unzip other files in Glew folder or just glew32.dll. If I have to, where?
Cutting Briers
Qwedgeonline

Postby Qwedgeonline » Sat May 09, 2009 7:00 pm

what is a src folder?
Can we get this forum going again?

Return to “FoFiX”