SVN - A tutorial to keep your FoFiX (or FretsOnFire) updated

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
This topic is 14 years and 10 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Azzco

Re: SVN - A tutorial to keep your FoFiX (or FretsOnFire) updated

Postby Azzco » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:56 am

MasterPhW wrote:Why do you recommend ActivePython-2.4.5.14-win32-x86 instead of ActivePython-2.4.3.12-win32-x86 on the wiki?
Btw: even on 64bit, compiling works without problems with the x86 build, so no need to add it to the post.
Your pygame-1.8.1release.win32-py2.4 is also newer than the recommended pygame-1.7.1release.win32-py2.4...
Last thing, that is missing, is the pyRtMidi, jsPitchBend and PySQLite that seem to be needed for the alpha compile, based on informations from the wiki.
But nevertheless, great guide, even it doesn't work for me! ;)
I'm not sure about the intention of using recommending a python 2.4 version over the other, my guess is that it's just a matter of bug fixes, and that 2.4.5 does not hold any real new features (so either one should be ok but 2.4.5 being more stable).

The pygame matter is due to compile errors with at least cx_freeze I'm not sure if the error appears in py2exe, in either case unless you intend to compile it there's shouldn't be a problem with pygame 1.8.

The last 3 are optional features AFAIK. pitchbend for example is hard to get running on linux and I never bother with it. I'm really not sure what pyRtMidi is for so I won't comment on that but I guess it's highly optional as well.

sqlite is for increasing song list speed and is also optional (you'll be able to browse the song list without any problems without it, only difference is that the song list gets loaded every time instead of getting cached).

I hope that cleared up a bit.
(k)Ubuntu 8.10 skyscraper 2.6.27-11-generic i686 GNU/Linux KDE 4.2.0
It's not like I dislike sleeping, I really do like it to be honest. It's the whole wake up/go to sleep business I don't like.
samot28

Postby samot28 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:51 pm

Hi, (sorry for my english, i'm french)

I made all like in the tutorial for windows on the firt page (i'm runing Windows Vista).

When all is installed, I run "python Fretsonfire.py", a new windows "Fofix v3.100 alpha" is opening for 1 second, black screen with "version 3.100" at the left bottom corner, then the windows is closing.

My fretsonfire.log is :

Spoiler:(W) Pitch bending is not supported; install john.stumpo's pitchbend module (r7 or higher) if you want it.
(D) GameEngine class init (GameEngine.py)...
(D) FoFiX v3.100 alpha (r1045) starting up...
(D) pygame version: 1.8.1release
(D) Initializing audio.
(D) Audio configuration: (44100, -16, 2)
(D) Initializing pygame.mixer & audio system at 44100 Hz.
(D) Initializing video.
(D) Enabling high priority timer.
(D) 0 joysticks found.
(D) Main font International.ttf used!
(D) 6 guitscw sounds found in sounds: guitscw1.ogg - guitscw6.ogg
(D) 6 bassscw sounds found in sounds: bassscw1.ogg - bassscw6.ogg
(D) 8 drumscw sounds found in sounds: drumscw1.ogg - drumscw8.ogg
(D) 6 guitscw sounds found in sounds: guitscw1.ogg - guitscw6.ogg
(W) MegaLight\sounds\ failsound.ogg not found -- using general failsound.ogg instead.
(W) MegaLight\sounds\starpowerready.ogg not found -- using starpower.ogg instead.
(W) MegaLight\sounds\crowdcheers.ogg not found -- using data\sounds\crowdcheers.ogg instead.
(W) MegaLight\sounds\staractivate.ogg not found -- using starpower.ogg instead.
(W) MegaLight\sounds\stardeactivate.ogg not found -- sound disabled.
(W) MegaLight\sounds
escue.ogg not found -- using starpower.ogg instead.
(W) MegaLight\sounds\coopfail.ogg not found -- using out.ogg instead
(D) Default animated stage for MegaLight theme = Normal
(D) Ready.
(W) Unable to enable psyco.
(D) View: Push: MainMenu
(D) View: Push: Menu
(E) Loading error:Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\tblain.PARIS\Desktop\FoFix\src\GameEngine.py", line 858, in main
self.view.render()
File "C:\Users\tblain.PARIS\Desktop\FoFix\src\View.py", line 216, in render
layer.render(self.visibility[layer], layer == self.layers[-1])
File "C:\Users\tblain.PARIS\Desktop\FoFix\src\Menu.py", line 415, in render
font.render(text, (x - v / 4, y), scale = scale)
File "C:\Users\tblain.PARIS\Desktop\FoFix\src\Font.py", line 172, in render
t.loadSurface(s, alphaChannel = True)
File "C:\Users\tblain.PARIS\Desktop\FoFix\src\Texture.py", line 254, in loadSurface
s = pygame.Surface((w2, h2), pygame.SRCALPHA, 32)
error: Width or height is too large

Someone can help me ?
700+ songs fretted!!
Puppetz

Postby Puppetz » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:17 pm

This went beyond my computer skills... I'll just have to wait for an "official" release... Been waiting along time to test 3.1.
Image To support my work and help me get a new computer. Thanks!
ImageImageImageImageImage
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:49 pm

MasterPhW wrote:I completely deinstalled and reinstalled python and its libraries based on the guide on the homepage and now it's working flawlessly.
I encountered some things I still have to ask:
Why do you recommend ActivePython-2.4.5.14-win32-x86 instead of ActivePython-2.4.3.12-win32-x86 on the wiki?
Btw: even on 64bit, compiling works without problems with the x86 build, so no need to add it to the post.
Your pygame-1.8.1release.win32-py2.4 is also newer than the recommended pygame-1.7.1release.win32-py2.4...
Last thing, that is missing, is the pyRtMidi, jsPitchBend and PySQLite that seem to be needed for the alpha compile, based on informations from the wiki.
But nevertheless, great guide, even it doesn't work for me! ;)

Like I wrote:
This guide is not meant to replace Rogue_F's tutorial (which is in fact the source of some information found here) but here are however some instructions to get a minimal environment that will run the source. If you're really planning to modify the code yourself for further distribution, I highly suggest you read Rogue_F's more complete guide.

Information provided in the first post is only there to help setting up a minimal environment to learn how to use the SVN system. If you have problem with modules, of course it might be better to follow FoFiX's wiki page instructions. However, note that even if I understand that it is easier to help people if everyone have the same, "tested", versions of the various modules, Rogue_F's guide (which was basically copy-pasted to the FoFiX's page) is quite old and hasn't been updated in a while. I personally tested all the modules I linked here and they were all working with the versions of FoFiX available at the time I posted this. Also at that time, getting the latest versions of the modules in the official repositories on Ubuntu, I could run the game from the source flawlessly (except maybe for pyopengl). This is why, in the wiki's guide, it is written: Versions are likely important.

Puppetz wrote:This went beyond my computer skills... I'll just have to wait for an "official" release... Been waiting along time to test 3.1.

It is very easy to get started and wouldn't take you long. For someone who knows what he's doing it barely takes 5 minutes, downloading times included. With some careful reading, a neophyte can do it in about 30 minutes, if not under. Even if I think it's a useful thing to learn when interested in development, you can try kristijan_mkd's script that should normally automatize this process: viewtopic.php?p=332557#p332557
700+ songs fretted!!
Puppetz

Postby Puppetz » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:32 am

Well I have no idea of what "they've" done with FoFiX latelly... why is it all this stuff that has to be done.. instead of as it used to be that only get a hotfix and that's it?
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:02 am

Puppetz wrote:Well I have no idea of what "they've" done with FoFiX latelly... why is it all this stuff that has to be done.. instead of as it used to be that only get a hotfix and that's it?

Lately? This topic has been created more than 2 months ago, soon 3, it's not exactly "lately". Anyway, this "stuff" has to be done only if you want to try unreleased and semi-tested versions in order to (alpha) test them. It is only a simple way to use the benefits of the good FoFiX development organization that has been set up. You still can download beta/RC patches and releases from the googlecode page: http://code.google.com/p/fofix/
As is in the "News" today:
700+ songs fretted!!
Puppetz

Postby Puppetz » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:17 am

Yeah latelly.. xD I have 3.035 beta... :tongue: I've tried those, but I just got error messages, so I quit trying. Anyway, I'll just stick to my mod for now, until 3.1 is out. My Vista is horrible, and with different users it's an a**. Sometimes it doesn't even find songs just cause of the author hasn't "verified" them, And I'm the author. And lots of bugs cause of that when I do updates on FoF and copy paste stuff that are installed. It's an a**. So I'll just keep this. Cuz I've ruined so many FoF's when trying new things, and then had to download something again from the beginning.

EDIT: Hey, that "3.100 RC1 Full for Windows" worked! So where's the latest RB2 theme for it then? :huh:
DRUMZZZ!
Typhus

Postby Typhus » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:18 pm

LOLOL!!!

Dude the theme is on this very section (FOF Mod Discussion and Support) and it's being handled by K.I.D, who as been doing a great job, by the way.

Although, you'll need SVN to always be updated as well.

Just go do it already, it's not that hard. I did it...and I'm not a genius, you know? Far from it.

Hasta!

Nothing for now...

Click Here -> Latest W.I.P. song is Ride The Sky by Helloween

Kotti wrote:One of the many songs Typhus made for FoFH3. Check out his song thread, he deserves more recognition than is getting...
lukarocker wrote:Your latest Arch enemy song made my decision! YOU ARE MY NUMBER ONE FRETTER!!!
nariel99 wrote:But luckily , you find the post and were interested in the project. And the result : a pure moment of epicness in Frets on Fire . Once again thank you...
death_au wrote:Power metal covers of pop songs = WIN
+ Frets on Fire = EPIC WIN. Thank you Typhus :thumbup:
OPIK wrote:+ All difficulties included. That's PRECISELY why TYPHUS is in my "Personnal TOP 3 Best Fretters" !
dertanz wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DON'T EVER QUIT... man you are one of my fav charters :crying: you can't quit... if you quit charting I'd quit playing :crying:
DaBackStabber666 wrote:I love your frettings :D
loth wrote:Typhus YOU SO RULE!! I love playing the songs you have fretted! :2thumbsup: Even on Supereasy the accurate representation of the music comes out. What a pleasure playing these, I can't wait for more metal tunes from you. Thanks SO much for doing ALL LEVELS, my fun meter is on high! :thumbup:
THANKS GUYS!!

My Song Thread [ALL DIFFICULTIES] | Alternative/Rock/Metal Genres
Lamb Of God - Ashes Of The Wake -> FULL ALBUM
Lamb Of God - Sacrament -> MASTER TRACKS|FULL ALBUM|ALL INSTRUMENTS
Lamb Of God - Wrath -> MASTER TRACKS|FULL ALBUM|ALL INSTRUMENTS
Check out Puppetz Advanced Song Tutorial, now with instructions on how to use Anchors.
700+ songs fretted!!
Puppetz

Postby Puppetz » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:16 pm

Typhus wrote:LOLOL!!!

Dude the theme is on this very section (FOF Mod Discussion and Support) and it's being handled by K.I.D, who as been doing a great job, by the way.

Just go do it already, it's not that hard. I did it...and I'm not a genius, you know? Far from it.

Hasta!

Oh... no I've tried too many times with epic failure! :laugh:
Eat Moar Bunnies!
Def_Monk

Postby Def_Monk » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:08 am

Puppetz wrote:
Typhus wrote:LOLOL!!!

Hasta!

Oh... no I've tried too many times with epic failure! :laugh:

It's ok puppetz, i dont use the svn either. I probably could but im too damn lazy. easy enough to wait for new versions.

I use vista too! lol. ultimate x86 (32bit). The issue with running the versions is vista didn't have a copy of glew.dll and you had to add it by hand. I think the full installer you got added a copy in and thats what fixed it. haha. that same problem confounded me for almost a week. lmao.
Life would be so much easier if we just had the damn source code.
DRUMZZZ!
Typhus

Postby Typhus » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:17 am

I use Vista x64 and I'm running through SVN with no issues.

This is like a recipe, just follow the instructions and...TA-DA!

Nothing for now...

Click Here -> Latest W.I.P. song is Ride The Sky by Helloween

Kotti wrote:One of the many songs Typhus made for FoFH3. Check out his song thread, he deserves more recognition than is getting...
lukarocker wrote:Your latest Arch enemy song made my decision! YOU ARE MY NUMBER ONE FRETTER!!!
nariel99 wrote:But luckily , you find the post and were interested in the project. And the result : a pure moment of epicness in Frets on Fire . Once again thank you...
death_au wrote:Power metal covers of pop songs = WIN
+ Frets on Fire = EPIC WIN. Thank you Typhus :thumbup:
OPIK wrote:+ All difficulties included. That's PRECISELY why TYPHUS is in my "Personnal TOP 3 Best Fretters" !
dertanz wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DON'T EVER QUIT... man you are one of my fav charters :crying: you can't quit... if you quit charting I'd quit playing :crying:
DaBackStabber666 wrote:I love your frettings :D
loth wrote:Typhus YOU SO RULE!! I love playing the songs you have fretted! :2thumbsup: Even on Supereasy the accurate representation of the music comes out. What a pleasure playing these, I can't wait for more metal tunes from you. Thanks SO much for doing ALL LEVELS, my fun meter is on high! :thumbup:
THANKS GUYS!!

My Song Thread [ALL DIFFICULTIES] | Alternative/Rock/Metal Genres
Lamb Of God - Ashes Of The Wake -> FULL ALBUM
Lamb Of God - Sacrament -> MASTER TRACKS|FULL ALBUM|ALL INSTRUMENTS
Lamb Of God - Wrath -> MASTER TRACKS|FULL ALBUM|ALL INSTRUMENTS
Check out Puppetz Advanced Song Tutorial, now with instructions on how to use Anchors.
Rock Star
MasterPhW

Postby MasterPhW » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:43 am

Typhus wrote:I use Vista x64 and I'm running through SVN with no issues.

This is like a recipe, just follow the instructions and...TA-DA!

Yeah, same here.
I'm running Vista SP1 X64 AND Windows 7 X64 and all is working fine.
My Rigs:

Spoiler:Main: Intel Core i7-860 (@3.33Ghz) | 4 GB DDR3-1333 | ATI HD5750 PCI-E | ATI High Definition Audio Device |
4 TB Internal SATA2 + 6TB external USB3 | Windows 7 Business X64 MSDNAA
Old One: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (2x2.5Ghz; S939) | MSI KbT Neo2-F V2.0 | 2x1GB Corsair Value VS1GBKIT400 | Radeon HD 3850 512 MB/AGP8x | Creative SB Audigy LS | 2TB (4x500GB SATA2 HDDs Raid0) | Windows 7 Business X64 MSDNAA

*running FoFiX 4.x newest alpha git on python 2.6 build environment, 2 Les Paul PS3 Guitar Hero III Controller & 1 Complete Rockstar Set*
COBHATECREW419
Super_Crazy_Dude

Postby Super_Crazy_Dude » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:08 am

Omg did i just jizz in my pants SWEET!
CHILDREN OF BODOM!!!!!!! OWNS!!!!!!
I forget. LETS ROCK!
jfosheezy

Postby jfosheezy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:42 pm

Hello
I need some help. I am going to be alpha tester for and i have downloaded the required files but I cant understand what to do next.
any help.
Also I was told to post here.
ImageImage
Rock Star
MasterPhW

Postby MasterPhW » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:34 pm

jfosheezy wrote:Hello
I need some help. I am going to be alpha tester for and i have downloaded the required files but I cant understand what to do next.
any help.
Also I was told to post here.

Yeah... you was told by me! ;)
Where are you right now? Installed all needed python libs already? Did you set up a SVN for FoFiX? What's your problem?
My Rigs:

Spoiler:Main: Intel Core i7-860 (@3.33Ghz) | 4 GB DDR3-1333 | ATI HD5750 PCI-E | ATI High Definition Audio Device |
4 TB Internal SATA2 + 6TB external USB3 | Windows 7 Business X64 MSDNAA
Old One: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (2x2.5Ghz; S939) | MSI KbT Neo2-F V2.0 | 2x1GB Corsair Value VS1GBKIT400 | Radeon HD 3850 512 MB/AGP8x | Creative SB Audigy LS | 2TB (4x500GB SATA2 HDDs Raid0) | Windows 7 Business X64 MSDNAA

*running FoFiX 4.x newest alpha git on python 2.6 build environment, 2 Les Paul PS3 Guitar Hero III Controller & 1 Complete Rockstar Set*

Return to “FoFiX”