fofix for python3

Discussion particular to FoFiX, its development, and themes
Forum rules
This topic is 1 year and 9 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
zelurker

fofix for python3

Postby zelurker » Wed May 25, 2022 12:59 pm

I returned to fofix lately and was horrified to see there was still no python3 conversion and that even fofix4 was supposed to run on python2 which is now deprecated, meaning python2 modules are getting harder and harder to find (I couldn't find some modules required for fofix 4 by the way !).

So I updated my old patches for fofix 3.121 to make all this work on python 3. It just starts to be usable, with the latest python, pygame, everything at the newest.
Just requires the pyogg module which is the way to handle ogg file with python3, and the official cerealizer module which replaces an old file in the fofix sources, + newest pygame of course.
Tested only on linux.

There are still "minor" problems, mainly about sorting afaik, the scores are not sorted correctly and there seems to be a problem to insert a new score sometimes.
So for now it's only for those who are curious, but I'll probably fix the last few problems in the coming days...

Memory management seems better if not perfect, performance should also be better, but I did that mainly so that I'll be able to continue to play with fofix in the future !

It's here : https://github.com/zelurker/fofix
And the readme has a link to my old description of these patches in this forum !
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Re: fofix for python3

Postby Lysdestic » Wed May 25, 2022 3:10 pm

FWIW, there still are a couple of maintainers over on the main FoFiX github and they have a pending task of porting the game to Python 3.

I'm sure they'd appreciate the help via pull request if that's your thing!

https://github.com/fofix/fofix/issues/110
zelurker

Re: fofix for python3

Postby zelurker » Thu May 26, 2022 3:24 am

Ok thanks, I just posted there, too bad I missed it, I would never have guessed they would have started by making an "issue" and posting for so long about it...
I guess 2 versions are better than 0 anyway. On my side I still need to test the career and see if I didn't forget anything but all I tested so far seems good !

Return to “FoFiX”