Question about the Alesis Nitro Mesh Kit

Help center. Members helping members
Forum rules
This topic is 3 years and 9 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
Astralhippie

Question about the Alesis Nitro Mesh Kit

Postby Astralhippie » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:14 pm

Does anyone know if when purchasing this kit it comes with the USB to hook it up to a computer? I want to use this kit with Phase Shift and need to know if I also need to order the wire. Nothing lists that the wire is included in the original purchase.

Thanks!
Rockem

Re: Question about the Alesis Nitro Mesh Kit

Postby Rockem » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:31 am

yeah they do come with I call a printer cable out put to computer if it had the real midi is better I run 2 Alesis Command 8 pcs Mesh Head Kits made it to all one kit works great. But I use a Midi to Usb cable. I would show a pic of my kit and the cable I use but cant figure out how to do that in this message base.
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:13 pm

Most modern elec drumkits (anything within the last 10 years or so) have either a midi out or usb (midi out) connection. They do exactly the same thing either way.
Just, one requires a midi to usb cable and the other requires just a usb cable.. which is almost never included in the package. But you mighr be lucky and have the usb cable included. (it says nothing about that in the specs, on the alesis site)
Looking at the specs for that kit i see it actually has both USB (midi out) AND midi in/out ports, which is pretty good for a kit that cheap in price.
Most kits in the "sub £500" price range will generally have either a midi out or a usb midi out. But not usually a usb midi out and midi in/out ports.

You can use the usb midi out so send midi signals to a DAW (such as reaper, fruity loops, or ableton ) Which means if you get a Drum VST for your audio program, something like "EZ drummer" you can make your kit control that plugin.
Or you can use it to just record the bare midi signals and apply any drum samples to each midi channel later

Midi in/out ports.. Midi out will do exactly the same as usb midi out, you can hook it to another device that can accept midi to make it use it's sounds rather than the drum kits.
Midi in port, allows you to do the reverse, you can make the DAW program controll the drums. So you could have your drumkit sat "in line" as part of a 3 device system.. You have your DAW which yo uload a midi drum track into, that controls the drumkit and makes it play on its own (like a pianola) then you hook up a recording device to the other end of the drumkit to record what the kit outputs. (handy if you dont like any samples used in a drum VST, but like the samples used on your drumkit)

Do yourself a big favour though.. If you are gonna buy a midi to usb cable, DO NOT buy the cheap $5 cables from ebay or anywhere else, they are cheap for a reason. You can get a lot of miss fires (drums seem to react as if you hit them) and a lot of dropped notes (you hit the drum but it doesnt react) Spend a little bit more and get yourself a a half decent $15-$20 cable, it will make all the difference.. I'm speaking from experience here..
Last edited by nobby76 on Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
alfred0809

Postby alfred0809 » Fri May 29, 2020 9:38 am

Last edited by alfred0809 on Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Tech Support”