Is there any way to disable hit notes while holding a lower fret?

Help center. Members helping members
Forum rules
This topic is 7 years and 11 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
lucianosommer

Is there any way to disable hit notes while holding a lower fret?

Postby lucianosommer » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:45 pm

I use RF-mod-4.15, and I noticed that I can play notes while I'm holding down a lower fret.
This is very noticeable playing HO-PO parts, because I can hold down the green fret and then hit only the other four.
I really don't like it, because it makes easier to play hard songs.
In fact, it's possible to play an entire song with the green fret pressed and when the green is a HO-PO note it's automatically hit.
Is there any way to change it?

Sorry for my english.
AKA Super Blooper
AlexTaylor

Re: Is there any way to disable hit notes while holding a lower fret?

Postby AlexTaylor » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:10 pm

This is a mechanic that's in every official GH and RB game, so it's not unusual, and which mod you use is irrelevant.

This isn't really a problem, but there is a really simple fix to it, just don't do it.
The only reason it happens is because YOU are doing it yourself, not the game, the game has no control over what your hand does.
lucianosommer

Postby lucianosommer » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:55 pm

Thank you Alex for your reply.
I just don't do it, maybe sometimes I hit a note in that way, but not on purpose.
But here, we are four friends playing the game, and one of them always use this "mechanic" and I think isn't fair.
So, I was looking into the source code and searching where it can be. But I can't find it.
That is what I was asking, if anyone know where it is.
Then I manage myself to fix it.
lucianosommer

Postby lucianosommer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:37 am

I found it (I guess).
Near the end of the file Guitar.py there are three controlsMatchNotes modules which I slightly modify and now it's working the way I like (or at least it seems to be).
Thank you anyway.
YeaaOhhh!!
siavash

Postby siavash » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:05 am

I don't think you understand why it's a mechanic. The intro to Through the Fire and Flames is impossible without this mechanic. Hitting any kind of trill is impossible without this mechanic. It exists because playing real guitar works in a similar way. Don't spite your friend just because he understands the game's mechanics better than you do.

Saying this mechanic isn't "fair" would be like saying it isn't "fair" to alt-strum passages.
lucianosommer

Postby lucianosommer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:52 am

So then, for example, if I have a song like this:

1 2 3 4 5
- - - O -
- O- O -
O - - O -
O - O O -
O O - O -
- O O O -
O - O O -

I can play the entire song with the first four frets always pressed and I only have to strum, without moving a finger.
I don't know, but I don't like it that way.
Last edited by lucianosommer on Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
The last forum user
Maupy2

Postby Maupy2 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:55 am

Good things songs aren't fully that way then. You'll always have to move your fingers at a lot of points. And if you don't, try more difficult songs.
My song thread (mostly guitar)
MY FIRST STORY song thread
A Day To Remember Hero REVIVAL
A Lot Like Birds

My name is Maurits.
They/them pronouns
If you want to reach me, send me a private message. I don't usually log in any more, but I have email notifications turned on for private messages.
lucianosommer

Postby lucianosommer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:07 am

I know good songs aren't that way, that was only to show my point.
Anyway, we play Thunderstruck (AC/DC) and Snow (RHCP) on Amazing, both songs intro require very fast fingers, unless you let pressed the green and only move your fingers for the other notes, which turns both easier.
I don't want to convince you, but I like the hard way.
lucianosommer

Postby lucianosommer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:18 am

Thunderstruck
YeaaOhhh!!
siavash

Postby siavash » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:49 am

lucianosommer wrote:So then, for example, if I have a song like this:

1 2 3 4 5
- - - O -
- O- O -
O - - O -
O - O O -
O O - O -
- O O O -
O - O O -

I can play the entire song with the first four frets always pressed and I only have to strum, without moving a finger.
I don't know, but I don't like it that way.

I still don't think you understand how this mechanic works. It doesn't work with chords. If I have a GR chord followed by a RY chord, I can't hold down the green fret for both chords. I also can't hold down the yellow fret for both. You have to play chords EXACTLY the way they're shown on the screen.

For single notes, however, you can hold lower fret(s). So, for example, you can hold all five frets and strum and hit an orange note. If you have an orange note coming up, as long as you're holding the orange fret and strumming on-time, you will hit the note. However, if you have a blue note coming up, as long as you're holding the blue fret and NOT holding the orange fret and strumming on time, you will hit the note.

The whole point of this mechanic is for trills, which are passages where the notes alternate in quick succession, like the outro for Raining Blood on GH3. Much like a real vibratto on a guitar, the lower note is held down while the upper note is fretted (or tapped) on-time. If I were your friend, I'd stop playing with you immediately if you think this is "cheating the system". Instead of moaning and complaining about how you didn't know about the feature, how about you learn how to use it to your advantage to hit harder passages? How about you go learn about the tapping to the intro of TtFaF? How about you use your newfound knowledge to learn how to FC the Thunderstuck intro consistently, since you can just hold green and fret the higher notes...LIKE THE ACTUAL WAY IT'S PLAYED ON GUITAR!
lucianosommer

Postby lucianosommer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:56 am

Actually in my game this mechanic works preety fine with chords... Also in the Vanilla 1.2.451...
lucianosommer

Postby lucianosommer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:13 am

Ok, I was wrong, maybe it's fine to play solo parts in this way, but not on the chords.
So I will change only that in my game.
Thank you.

Return to “Tech Support”