Recording With Fraps

Help center. Members helping members
Forum rules
This topic is 12 years and 7 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
the Master!
genius757

Recording With Fraps

Postby genius757 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:41 am

Here are my Specs..... Intel pentium 4 ( 3.40) ghz , 2 Gigs of DDR ram, ICEQ 3 512mb graphics,

It records fine with any other game, But i have tried numerous configurations with my system in FRAPS to try to record Fofix smoothly ( almost real time), Nothing Seems to Work! IMO i should be able to record smoothly in the minimal resolution , Half-sized , and in Windowed Mode, But that seems not to work either ( Almost There ) But not quite. Is itr safe to say that I will not get the ( RealTime Recording as smooth as I want it ) Unless I throw In Another 2 More Gigs? Or Upgrade To DDR2? Iv'e Heard that if Im Not Using DDR2 that it is just a waste of my time trying to record FOF.
WhatIsThisIDon'tEven
Davidrawr

Re: Recording With Fraps

Postby Davidrawr » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:25 pm

Your main problem is that you're running a Pentium 4. They were good CPUs back in the 90's, however nowadays applications are using more and more processing power. FoFiX has a lot of audio processing to do, much more than you can see on screen. FRAPS uses a lot of your CPU too creating and compressing video files from your game window output.

To put it simply your processor is lagging behind with all of the number crunching needed to run both FoFiX and FRAPS. no amount of graphical reduction is going to help much in that department I'm afraid.

Not only this, but your hard disk may be lacking in the RPM department, and as FoFiX and FRAPS do a hell of a lot of read/write work (especially FRAPS) this may also be contributing to your choppy gameplay while recording.

Tl;dr: no other way to put it I'm afraid, if you want to record with FRAPS you'll need a system upgrade. Other recording software may be another option but I'm pretty sure with the amount of CPU usage the game eats that you'll lag with anything else on that processor.
My song thread!
You can cut our wings, but we will always remember what it was like to fly.
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:13 pm

Davidrawr wrote:FRAPS uses a lot of your CPU too creating and compressing video files from your game window output.

Not that it really matters, but I thought FRAPS doesn't compress the video file 'cause it'd be too hard to do on the fly. I thought that was why a 3min video in FRAPS ends up saving with a 4gb filesize(maybe a little exaggerated, but I think it's at least 1 gig). *shrugs*

T3HM3T4L:I've tried to sign up for Rock Band but they just won't allow me. They keep complaining I have to 'be over 18' while I've already been 18 for over half a year, and a sign up where I noted I was born in the '50s STILL GAVE ME THAT MESSAGE

So if anyone could help me get these templates, I'd very much appreciate it. I need it to edit notes and stuff for my Rock Band 2.

aander91:Sorry, but that'd be providing for minors, which is illegal.

T3HM3T4L:But I'm 18 years old... ?

aander91:Nope. Sorry.

T3HM3T4L:Nono, you're getting me wrong, I was asking how come I am still considered a minor?

aander91:Look, we can't just go out giving these things away to people who just say they're over 18 and show no proof, we'd be out of a job.

T3HM3T4L:Nevermind, I'll use EoF for it, I found the way I could use it for that.

WhatIsThisIDon'tEven
Davidrawr

Postby Davidrawr » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:27 pm

IIRC FRAPS doesn't make completely raw video files, they're still compressed, just as little as possible. And yeah you're right, depending on your resolution and settings in FRAPS a minute or two of video file takes up about 3.4 gig.
My song thread!
You can cut our wings, but we will always remember what it was like to fly.

Return to “Tech Support”