Mac user having trouble with MP3 support in EOF

Help center. Members helping members
Forum rules
This topic is 12 years and 10 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
consonance

Mac user having trouble with MP3 support in EOF

Postby consonance » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:13 am

Hey, I'm new to fretting and I thought I'd try it out. I run OS X 10.5.6 on native hardware. I downloaded EOF version 1.58 to get started, but when I started the program I received an error message saying that MP3 support was disabled, and that I should download LAME and Vorbis Tools to be able to import MP3 files. So I used DarwinPorts (with XCode Tools also installed) to install the lame and vorbis-tools packages. I then restarted EOF, but it still shows me the same message. What am I doing wrong? All my songs are in MP3 format, so I need this MP3 support.
trinidude4

Re: Mac user having trouble with MP3 support in EOF

Postby trinidude4 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:27 am

Put lame and oggenc in eof.app/Contents/Resources. You should have mp3 support after doing that. I also used the binaries of lame and oggenc from macports and it works on my computer.
consonance

Postby consonance » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:14 pm

trinidude4 wrote:Put lame and oggenc in eof.app/Contents/Resources. You should have mp3 support after doing that. I also used the binaries of lame and oggenc from macports and it works on my computer.

Thanks for your help this far. Do you mean that I should make the binaries and then move them into the eof package? Or should I copy the folder installations? I'm having a problem using the command "port -d archive [package]" in the terminal to make the lame and vorbis-tools binaries. Every time I try I get a permissions error. Do you know of a solution?
trinidude4

Postby trinidude4 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:10 pm

To clarify what I said earlier, by binaries, I meant executables.

You would just have to make the executables and copy those into the eof package. A normal "sudo port install vorbis-tools lame" should create the files that you need. After those finish installing, go to /opt/local/bin (or wherever your base directory is) and copy the oggenc and lame executables into eof.
consonance

Postby consonance » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:33 pm

That fixed my problem--there's no longer any error message. Thanks a bunch! all Mac users should see your post.
warfarin

Postby warfarin » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:24 pm

Could someone please walk me through how to do this, assuming that I have no clue what any of that meant? (because I don't :x)
trinidude4

Postby trinidude4 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:30 pm

I can walk you through it using macports, or I can give you the executables you need to put into eof. I don't mind doing either, but I'll leave it up to you.
warfarin

Postby warfarin » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:34 pm

Could you please give me the executables? It'd probably be easiest.
trinidude4

Postby trinidude4 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:38 pm

Sure thing: http://www.mediafire.com/?vtiz4wa3gzm

These have to go into the Contents\Resources folder inside the eof.app.
Whitespace

Postby Whitespace » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:39 am

I'm a unix guy and I still get the mp3 support error. Here's what I did which should've worked, but didn't:

Code: Select all

sudo port install lame vorbis-tools
cp `which lame` /Applications/eof.app/Contents/Resources
cp `which oggenc` !$

Still no dice.

Also, downloading the lame and oggenc files from mediafire that trinidude4 linked to doesn't work either.

I'm going nuts! :confused:
FullCombo.net - The Easiest Way to Get FoF Charts
Falco1337

Postby Falco1337 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:55 pm

I've tried all this and nothing works... and when I enter those commands in the last posts it asks me for a password and it won't let me type anything. T.T Someone outta make a step by step guide on how to do this and preferably on youtube to actually see it.
loadedsith

Postby loadedsith » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:32 pm

I was able to build eof 1.91 and run it on snow leopard with mp3 support thanks to the eofmp3support.zip provided above and this oggenc: http://www.un4seen.com/download.php?extra/oggenc-osx

I put the oggenc in my bin directory and solved an error that was probably caused by my screwed macports libvorbis install. For reference the error was:
dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libvorbisenc.2.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/grahamheath/Downloads/eof-1.71/bin/./oggenc
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/opt/local/lib/libvorbisenc.2.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture
Trace/BPT trap

Much to my surprise this solved another problem. My mouse was not appearing while EOF had focus, it is visible now. Hurray!

Because I love you all so much, I tried and moved the files the .app which you guys all already have and found that to work as well with only one tweak.

The files 'lame' and the new 'oggenc' (from the link above) all go in '/EOF.app/Contents/Resources/eof' not '/Applications/EOF.app/Contents/Resources' as was my initial understanding of the instructions above. Now run EOF.app and you should be 100% Double Hurray!

Return to “Tech Support”