How do you install FoFIX on Ubuntu?

Help center. Members helping members
Forum rules
This topic is 15 years and 3 weeks old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
the-it

How do you install FoFIX on Ubuntu?

Postby the-it » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:47 am

Hi all

Since fof dose not seem to be working viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34784&p=365135&hilit=Problem+with+runing+FoF+on+Ubuntu.......#p365135 on my Linux Ubuntu 8.10 computer I found myself un-installing fof and trying to install fofix. in installed it though the terminal just like google code said but I dont know how to run it. I cant a shortcut anywhere. I cheeked under applications > games but still couldn't find it. i also try'd looking in the fofix folder but still nothing.

Thank you for reading
The-IT
Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Re: How do you install FoFIX on Ubuntu?

Postby Lysdestic » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:35 am

The file you download from google code isn't a .deb package, meaning it doesn't install in the traditional sense.

Once you extract the tarball, there will be a FretsOnFire.bin file inside. Run it from that.

Unless you are attempting SVN, in which case things are a tad different.
the-it

Postby the-it » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:53 am

Lysdestic wrote:The file you download from google code isn't a .deb package, meaning it doesn't install in the traditional sense.

Once you extract the tarball, there will be a FretsOnFire.bin file inside. Run it from that.

Unless you are attempting SVN, in which case things are a tad different.

OK how do i open this binary file
is it from the terminal?
please tell me

Thank you
The-IT
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:46 am

On Ubuntu, if you double click on the .bin it should ask, amongst other options, if you want to execute it in terminal, choose this option.
In terminal, alternatively, you can browse to your FoFiX folder and type ./FretsOnFire.bin
If it doesn't work just "sudo chmod +x FretsOnFire.bin" and retry.
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:39 am

It should work the same as Mandriva all i clicked on was a script file and it started. The bin file wasn't working for me either
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

the-it

Postby the-it » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:28 am

raph666 wrote:On Ubuntu, if you double click on the .bin it should ask, amongst other options, if you want to execute it in terminal, choose this option.
In terminal, alternatively, you can browse to your FoFiX folder and type ./FretsOnFire.bin
If it doesn't work just "sudo chmod +x FretsOnFire.bin" and retry.

dident work :(
got this error message:

bash: ./FretsOnFire.bin: cannot execute binary file

tryd just about every thing and still i cant play frets on fire :(
the-it

Postby the-it » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:57 pm

aw well no has the solution to this prpblem.
looks like il never again havr the pleaser of playign FoF
FoFiX Dev/Mod Squad
jstump91

Postby jstump91 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:29 pm

I just made sure I had python-pygame, python-ogg, python-pyvorbis, python-opengl, python-pysqlite2, python-psyco, python-numeric, and python-numpy, then checked out from svn into a subfolder of my homefolder, went into the src folder, and just typed "python -OO FretsOnFire.py". Everything just worked.

If you want to use the stable release rather than the latest development version, just check out the tag instead:

svn co http://fofix.googlecode.com/svn/MFH-Mod/tags/Release_3.100a fofix
jstump91, a.k.a. john.stumpo, a.k.a. stump
jstump.com | stump's blog | FoFiX development | My own code
Can't find a Windows build of the Python module you need? Try my mediafire!
Don't say "Python can't do [insert task here]." Python can do anything with the right modules - said modules may just not have been written yet.
"Python - why settle for snake oil when you can have the whole snake?" --Mark Jackson
Did you search before you posted? Did you read the rules for the subforum you are posting in?

Return to “Tech Support”