Red Screen of Death still seems to exist - 9 times out of 10 "Play Game" won't work

Help center. Members helping members
Forum rules
This topic is 17 years and 6 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
TheBigRedGuy

Postby TheBigRedGuy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:06 am

First off, kudos to the programmers. It's been a long time since I've had so much fun with a game, so I'm not really here to complain.

However, nine times out of ten "Play Game" or "Tutorial" will result in a Red Screen of Death on my machine, and only repeated use of ESC and trying again will do the trick.
Here's what fretsonfire.log has to say about it:

(E) Socket error while sending: (10054, 'Connection reset by peer')

... and so on.

I'm using Win98SE (I don't want to bog my relatively slow 800 mHz computer down even more with a newer Windows), an original SoundBlaster card (SB Live) and an nVidia graphics card, all with the latest drivers and DirectX 9.0c.

It's not really a huge problem considering the game is free, but it's a bit annoying having to hit "Start Game" over and over until it works. Any ideas what's causing this? Oh, and I'm using version 1.0.192 of the game, the latest I could find.
TheBigRedGuy

Postby TheBigRedGuy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:07 am

*bump*

Anyone else have this problem?
pKp

Postby pKp » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:19 pm

Well...the "(10054, 'Connection reset by peer')" bit looks like it's a network error. Try desactivating the "upload highscores" option...
TheBigRedGuy

Postby TheBigRedGuy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:13 am

It is deactivated - has been from the beginning.
Still no joy.
pKp

Postby pKp » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:20 am

Eerf...no idea then.
noth(a)nk.you

Postby noth(a)nk.you » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:43 pm

I'm getting this problem too, only I haven't yet made it past the RSOD. An error I'm seeing quite often while trying to:
(E) exceptions.AttributeError: '_socketobject' object has no attribute '_buffer'

Any insight would be much appreciated.

I'm running v1.0.225 under XP Pro on a Dell laptop (by no means a beast): P4 2400 MHz, 512MB RAM, 64MB ATI Radeon 7500.

Cheers.
noth(a)nk.you

Postby noth(a)nk.you » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:04 pm

To clarify the problem a little bit:

The menu works just fine (including the Settings screens). When trying 'Play Game,' 'Tutorial,' or 'Song Editor,' though, I can only see the red background with the dark spinning shapes (keyboard, music staff). It seems like the sound comes through fine.

I was thinking that it might be an issue with the layer (?) everything else would be placed on. Maybe a video driver set up incorrectly. I have the most recent DirectX and video card drivers, so versioning shouldn't be an issue.

I did have to clear 'Rockin' it Oldskool!' through my firewall, but it's at a level of unfettered access and shows no difference in behavior.

Cheers.
FozZ

Postby FozZ » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:26 pm

Cant help you but just wanted to add that FoF uses OpenGL so having the newest DirectX wont make any difference. Good luck on solving the issue
My Portfolio Website - http://www.monophobia.co.uk

Return to “Tech Support”