Help with importing GH songs - WAAAAAAAAAAYYY TOOO SLOOOOOOOOOW...

Help center. Members helping members
Forum rules
This topic is 17 years and 7 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
djwhack03

Postby djwhack03 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:00 pm

Hey folks, is tere any way to speed up the process of importing songs from Guitar Hero? I've had it running for like an hour now, and it's still not done with the first song.

In case anyone was wondering about my hardware specs, I'm running a 1.66 ghz lappy with 1 gig of ram and xp pro(not sure if this makes a difference)

Thanks
FozZ

Postby FozZ » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:00 pm

nothing you can do. I had it running 6 hours last night and got 28 songs done, and im running an AMD 64 4200+d dual core with 1gb ram.
My Portfolio Website - http://www.monophobia.co.uk
djwhack03

Postby djwhack03 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:27 pm

Just out of curiosity, does bark on the moon take longer to download than the average song?
FozZ

Postby FozZ » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:46 pm

that was the first track and yeah i think it did take a bit longer, what with it being a long track, lol. I didnt exactly sit and watch it do its thing, but BatM took mine about 5mins I would guess. If yours is taking that long then maybe its a prob with your DVD drive. Mine obviously slowed down considerably throughout the night.
Last edited by FozZ on Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djwhack03

Postby djwhack03 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:01 pm

strange, mine is taking way more than 5 min to copy the song. How fast is your DVD drive? Maybe that's why mine is goign so slowly. Mine's only 8x.
Too Late For Roses

Postby Too Late For Roses » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:05 pm

8x is pretty slow, that's definitely part of the reason it's going so slow.
outlaw

Postby outlaw » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:20 pm

damn, i must have something wrong with mine then. I set it up at 10 last night and it only got one song done when i got up this morning at 11.
I have a 3 gig P4 and 1 gig of music...

do you think it would speed things up if i riped the GH dvd then mounted it on a virtual drive?
djwhack03

Postby djwhack03 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:33 pm

Too Late For Roses wrote:8x is pretty slow, that's definitely part of the reason it's going so slow.

Any way to speed that up that won't result in the destruction of my computer?
Too Late For Roses

Postby Too Late For Roses » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:39 pm

outlaw wrote:do you think it would speed things up if i riped the GH dvd then mounted it on a virtual drive?

Using like Daemon Tools or something? I would think that would speed it up (it supposedly speeds games up by 30%). If it does, then djwhack, this would be a good way to speed it up, probably by alot. You'll need MagicIsoMaker (search google for it) to make the virtual iso of GH and then you'll need Daemon-Tools (www.daemon-tools.cc) to mount it. Then you could rip the songs from virtual drive E or something. You would temporarily need more hard drive space (I imagine the GH Iso would be at least over a gig) but then you could delete the iso once it's imported the songs.
Zolrath

Postby Zolrath » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:54 pm

I experienced this problem myself and after 20 hours of waiting I decided to do something about it!
The problem comes from the fact that I have a dual core processor. I disabled one of the cores for the FretsOnFire.exe application, and my speeds went from 1% every 13 seconds to about 2% a second!

To do this press alt+ctrl+del and go to the Processes tab. Right click on FretsOnFire.exe and go to Set Affinity. Now uncheck one of the CPUs and voila! It will no longer take three months!
Too Late For Roses

Postby Too Late For Roses » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:53 pm

Thanks man. What sucks is that if I do this on my computer, I won't be able to disable one because my task manager somehow got disabled.
FozZ

Postby FozZ » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:02 pm

Wierd, I use a dual core as well and this seems to make no difference to me at all. The notes for this release claimed that the extraction should resume, but I cant tell if it is or not. I did 28 tracks last night and then when ive started it its back to 0 out of 48, however its started with the theme song by Monkey Steals the Peach, rather than Bark at the Moon. Oh well, itll be done eventually.

Hybrid

Postby Hybrid » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:09 am

The speed of your dvd drive is not the bottleneck of the process. The importer copy all the important data to temp folder already in first stage. Why it's taking so long is because the importer is coded fully with python that is quite slow language to do stuff like that.
Hybrid
Graphician of Unreal Voodoo
djwhack03

Postby djwhack03 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:44 am

YES! It works well now. Thank you!
outlaw

Postby outlaw » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:46 pm

Zolrath wrote:I disabled one of the cores for the FretsOnFire.exe application, and my speeds went from 1% every 13 seconds to about 2% a second!

thanks man, that seemed to have helped alot...

Return to “Tech Support”