How do you change the fret color?

Help center. Members helping members
Forum rules
CrashBandiCortex346

How do you change the fret color?

Postby CrashBandiCortex346 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:40 pm

Hi, I'm new here so I hope this is where this kind of topic goes.

I've played Frets on Fire for quite a long time now and the pink fret started to bug me. Is it in any way possible to change the fret colors?
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Re: How do you change the fret color?

Postby Jama7301 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:46 pm

Wow... Pink fret... Haven't heard of that in awhile. Most people use any number of mods to change the game.

As for your question, there's either an ini file or a png you can change in the data folder.
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
Jonahwills

Re: How do you change the fret color?

Postby Jonahwills » Thu May 30, 2024 10:24 am

Welcome! Yes, you can change the fret colors in Frets on Fire. This involves modifying some of the game’s files or using a mod. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you change the fret colors:

### Method 1: Editing Game Files

1. **Locate the Game Directory**:
- Navigate to the directory where Frets on Fire is installed. This is usually in your Program Files or a directory you specified during installation.

2. **Find the Fret Textures**:
- Inside the game directory, look for a folder named `data` or `themes`. This folder contains all the visual assets used in the game.
- Within this folder, locate the fret textures. These are often in `.png` format and might be named something like `fret0.png`, `fret1.png`, etc.

3. **Edit the Textures**:
- Use an image editing software like Photoshop, GIMP, or even Paint.NET to open the fret texture files.
- Change the color of the frets as desired. For instance, if you want to change the pink fret, edit the corresponding texture file and replace the pink color with your preferred color.
- Save the changes and make sure to keep the file format and name the same.

4. **Replace the Original Files**:
- Replace the original fret texture files with your modified versions in the game’s directory.

5. **Test the Changes**:
- Launch Frets on Fire and check if the fret colors have changed as expected.

### Method 2: Using a Mod

If you are not comfortable editing files directly, you can use mods created by the community that change the fret colors:

1. **Search for Mods**:
- Look for Frets on Fire mods on forums or websites dedicated to the game. Sites like FoF Fan Forum or GitHub might have the mod you need.

2. **Download and Install the Mod**:
- Follow the instructions provided with the mod. Typically, this involves downloading the mod files and placing them in the appropriate directory within the Frets on Fire installation folder.

3. **Activate the Mod**:
- Some mods might require you to activate them through the game’s settings or by replacing certain files as described in the mod’s instructions.

### Additional Tips

- **Backup Original Files**: Before making any changes, it’s a good idea to backup the original game files. This way, you can restore them if something goes wrong.
- **Community Help**: If you encounter any issues, you can often find help on community forums or by joining Frets on Fire Discord groups where experienced players and modders can offer assistance.

By following these steps, you should be able to customize the fret colors in Frets on Fire to your liking. Enjoy your personalized gaming experience!

Return to “Tech Support”