Noice - Rock Bandish clone for mac

Discussion specific to other music games, like: RB, GH, GZ, JamLegend, SoS, etc.
This topic is 5 months and 2 weeks old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
brand

Re: Noice - Rock Bandish clone for mac

Postby brand » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:47 pm

and this is what the tops now look like. i did so many different versions from feathers, scales, etc. and this is what i landed on, not the best but i think i'm exhausted from experimenting. i know it kinda looks like a victorian cake tin, but i think i can pull it away from that once i do the coloring. it is supposed to be victorian inspired, but i don't want it to look straight up victorian.

Last edited by brand on Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brand

Postby brand » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:22 pm

i've released version 0.3 with the stuff shown here so far. the tentacles can be turned off and on from the application menu. I've also added volume controls for the songs and for the song previews. I want to make these controls more granular to control the different tracks etc, but I haven't decided if I should make them independent or a percentage of a master volume. Add to that, that I want to have gain controls for individual songs (some of the custom songs are too loud or too quiet) and it gets complicated quick. I appreciate any suggestions.
brand

Postby brand » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:09 pm

i uploaded a new update (v0.4) fixing several old and new issues but also new animations for the pentapuss. it now reacts to hits and misses and has a Multiplier state as shown here (the lit part is animated). i found a bug with custom shaders that kept me from doing some stuff (submitted the bug to apple)

I've also added a recently added song menu. i realized after adding new songs i couldn't remember the specific titles of everything new so i never played them. now they can easily be found with a click of a button. i've also consolidated the code for making the lists (which as you can see now includes a title) so i can make other lists easily like favorites, most played, search, custom playlist, etc.

fixed bugs include menus displaying in the wrong place when navigating too fast. songs starting at the wrong place. song sometimes didn't stop playing when quitting early. random crashes. but more importantly, the volume setting didn't apply to drum track in some situations, making the drums very loud.

there were other fixes and enhancements to graphics, like snappier response between menus.
Last edited by brand on Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brand

Postby brand » Sat May 29, 2021 11:59 pm

i was ill for a few months so i didn't work on this for a while.

I've uploaded version 0.5 with a few bug fixes and improvements.

I've added a help overlay that can be toggled with the orange button and it shows the available options on drums depeding where on the menu you are.
also added Stars to the song lists and fixed an issue where son infor wasn't updating correctly when coming back from Random Play

Last edited by brand on Sun May 30, 2021 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
teh_supar_hackr

Postby teh_supar_hackr » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:16 am

brand wrote:a little progress on the texturing. finished the stamped design for the bottom. I tried all kinds of ways to make it, from physically modeling and transferring normals, to sculpting in zbrush, making masks in illustrator. in the end i just freehand painted them very carefully. The top will be very different tho because i want it to have a sculpted look and not flat.

Looks nice! Reminds me a lot of Rock Band 2's gui design, mainly the one on the main menu that has that octopus tentacle there. Will this game be getting support for different skins?
brand

Postby brand » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:24 am

teh_supar_hackr wrote:Looks nice! Reminds me a lot of Rock Band 2's gui design, mainly the one on the main menu that has that octopus tentacle there. Will this game be getting support for different skins?

thank you. the rock band menus were definitely in the back of my mind when doing this so there is a lot of influence there. but i've also done a lot of stamped metal for work.
brand

Postby brand » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:56 am

I got my signing certificate revoked by accident. this happens so easily it is infuriating. not only does it affect this game but every single build i made for any other app with the same certificate. on top of that apple makes it sound like my game is intentionally made to harm people's computer even tho it doesn't have access to read and write files anywhere other than in the noice folder.

anyway. uploaded a new build, hopefully it doesn't get revoked again, sometimes when it gets revoked, it happens again and again.
teh_supar_hackr

Postby teh_supar_hackr » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:18 pm

brand wrote:I got my signing certificate revoked by accident. this happens so easily it is infuriating. not only does it affect this game but every single build i made for any other app with the same certificate. on top of that apple makes it sound like my game is intentionally made to harm people's computer even tho it doesn't have access to read and write files anywhere other than in the noice folder.

anyway. uploaded a new build, hopefully it doesn't get revoked again, sometimes when it gets revoked, it happens again and again.

That's really annoying. It seems like Apple is much more strict than Microsoft, ignoring Microsoft's S-mode which makes it so you can only run apps approved by them, and is also bundled on many modern systems on by default, and is annoying to disable. Hopefully this won't halt the progress of this game's development.
brand

Postby brand » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:16 am

teh_supar_hackr wrote:That's really annoying. It seems like Apple is much more strict than Microsoft, ignoring Microsoft's S-mode which makes it so you can only run apps approved by them, and is also bundled on many modern systems on by default, and is annoying to disable. Hopefully this won't halt the progress of this game's development.

i think it's about the same, what's changing for apple is the language of the warning which is really irritating. before it would just say "can't open this app, contact developer", now it's like "this app is made by a serial killer, hide your children". it's very alarming and scares off a lot of people and breaks trust. it really shouldn't be allowed. i used their frameworks, followed the rules, i shouldn't be presented like this if i made a mistake, which i'm not fully sure what i did wrong.

i did submit feedback and they want more info. but still, i don't like it.
teh_supar_hackr

Postby teh_supar_hackr » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:14 am

brand wrote:
teh_supar_hackr wrote:That's really annoying. It seems like Apple is much more strict than Microsoft, ignoring Microsoft's S-mode which makes it so you can only run apps approved by them, and is also bundled on many modern systems on by default, and is annoying to disable. Hopefully this won't halt the progress of this game's development.

i think it's about the same, what's changing for apple is the language of the warning which is really irritating. before it would just say "can't open this app, contact developer", now it's like "this app is made by a serial killer, hide your children". it's very alarming and scares off a lot of people and breaks trust. it really shouldn't be allowed. i used their frameworks, followed the rules, i shouldn't be presented like this if i made a mistake, which i'm not fully sure what i did wrong.

i did submit feedback and they want more info. but still, i don't like it.

It's like Apple doesn't want people to support indie devs, or smaller teams of people creating games and software on there devices by scaring people away from using them via a scare tactic from a message. Very annoying. I'm wondering when Apple starting being more strict with these contracts for software.

A question I have about this game, will there be some sort of theme support, or ability to change colours of some things? I've been wanting a Guitar Hero clone that has some customizability with it's themes and such since Clone Hero has just highway texture changing, and custom background with most of the rest needing mods to change them instead of letting you change them with the in-game menus. Phase Shift is better on this part, with an ability to use other's themes without modding the game.

Also will the only instruments be Guitar/Bass, and Drums? It's perfect to me since those are the two instruments I play in these games (not much a singer, and don't know how to properly play the keyboard yet). I imagine implementing Pro Guitar would be a bit complex for you, maybe the same with keyboard, and vocals, but those two at least has some existing support on Phase Shift.
brand

Postby brand » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:29 pm

teh_supar_hackr wrote:
A question I have about this game, will there be some sort of theme support, or ability to change colours of some things? I've been wanting a Guitar Hero clone that has some customizability with it's themes and such since Clone Hero has just highway texture changing, and custom background with most of the rest needing mods to change them instead of letting you change them with the in-game menus. Phase Shift is better on this part, with an ability to use other's themes without modding the game.

Also will the only instruments be Guitar/Bass, and Drums? It's perfect to me since those are the two instruments I play in these games (not much a singer, and don't know how to properly play the keyboard yet). I imagine implementing Pro Guitar would be a bit complex for you, maybe the same with keyboard, and vocals, but those two at least has some existing support on Phase Shift.

currently animations are hardwired to textures and objects in scenes. it would take a lot of refactoring to make changeable themes. it would also take setting standards as to what a theme needs to provide and be able to do to interact with the gameplay. i don't think i want to spend time on that unless there is more of a userbase, mostly i'm trying to avoid making preference menus

with that said, all assets are accessible in the app package and they can be modified and/or replaced. there isn't much of a limit as to what can be added to any scene as long as item names remain because if the code looks for it and they aren't there, the game will crash.

as far as intruments, i included normal keys (not pro) not finished. pro guitar could happen, but not likely. i think most of that audience has moved on to rocksmith. i might try and do vocals, but it seems particularly difficult. i had a hard time just displaying lyrics. i don't even know how clone hero is doing the timed color change for text. from examples i've seen, there are better midi libaries available for unity than what i got to work with for xcode.
teh_supar_hackr

Postby teh_supar_hackr » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:39 pm

brand wrote:
teh_supar_hackr wrote:

currently animations are hardwired to textures and objects in scenes. it would take a lot of refactoring to make changeable themes. it would also take setting standards as to what a theme needs to provide and be able to do to interact with the gameplay. i don't think i want to spend time on that unless there is more of a userbase, mostly i'm trying to avoid making preference menus

with that said, all assets are accessible in the app package and they can be modified and/or replaced. there isn't much of a limit as to what can be added to any scene as long as item names remain because if the code looks for it and they aren't there, the game will crash.

as far as intruments, i included normal keys (not pro) not finished. pro guitar could happen, but not likely. i think most of that audience has moved on to rocksmith. i might try and do vocals, but it seems particularly difficult. i had a hard time just displaying lyrics. i don't even know how clone hero is doing the timed color change for text. from examples i've seen, there are better midi libaries available for unity than what i got to work with for xcode.

Makes since the graphics would work that way. I dug through the zip file of the game from the game's site and did notice how all images were PNGs like you said.
brand

Postby brand » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:52 am

teh_supar_hackr wrote:Makes since the graphics would work that way. I dug through the zip file of the game from the game's site and did notice how all images were PNGs like you said.

oh, you can replace more than the textures. you can edit all the scenefiles. the spritekit files are the overlays for menus and stuff and the .scn files are all the 3d stuff.
Last edited by brand on Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
teh_supar_hackr

Postby teh_supar_hackr » Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:28 am

brand wrote:
teh_supar_hackr wrote:Makes since the graphics would work that way. I dug through the zip file of the game from the game's site and did notice how all images were PNGs like you said.

oh, you can replace more than the textures. you can edit all the scenefiles. the spritekit files are the overlays for menus and stuff and the .scn files are all the 3d stuff.

I was wondering what the 3D models were
brand

Postby brand » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:30 pm

new splash screen

i have made a few improvements too but not published yet. i'm now tracking perfect scores, i just don't have the interface symbols for it yet.

Return to “Other Music Games”