Live Studio Sessions (Updated 11/24/2014: Now for Android)

Discussion specific to other music games, like: RB, GH, GZ, JamLegend, SoS, etc.
This topic is 9 years and 3 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
NewCreature

Live Studio Sessions (Updated 11/24/2014: Now for Android)

Postby NewCreature » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:28 pm

Update 11/24: Added support for sorting by collection. Simply add a 'collection.ini' to the root of a collection with this format:

Code: Select all

[collection]
name=Name of Collection

Songs will also be able to be divided into tiers by adding a 'tier' setting to the 'song.ini' file. Other sorting options will also be added. Feel free to post your suggestions here.

Update 9/25/2014: New builds have been uploaded for all platforms. I fixed what I think is causing some of the crashing. The game now outputs a debug log, so if crashing persists it will be easier to get to the bottom of it.

Update 9/21/2014: We have the Android port up and running. Follow the provided link to access the downloads.

We are making a new rhythm game inspired by Frets On Fire. This game is called Live Studio Sessions. Here is a link to the project page:

Live Studio Sessions Project Page

The current version includes 5 demo songs and allows you to link to your existing FoFiX (or Phase Shift) song library. The main features are low system requirements (60 FPS on old Intel Atom netbook running Ubuntu 14), clean code base for easy maintenance and updating, open source, good gameplay mechanics (fixes issues I had with FoFIX), and a unique scoring system with online leaderboards.

You can currently play Guitar and Bass parts in single player "Quick Play" style. I plan to support Drums and Keyboard as well in a future update. We are also working on an Android port.

Here is the long story of how Live Studio Sessions came to be:

Spoiler:I am a big fan of Frets On Fire and FoFiX. I enjoyed playing these games and making content for them for a long time. There were always some small issues with FoFiX that I had hoped would eventually be fixed. Sadly, development on the project seems to have stalled.

In the mean time, I got a new workstation which is the main machine I work and game on. Trying to play FoFiX on this machine, despite its superior hardware, is quite an unpleasant experience. Still, I waited for FoFiX 4. Eventually Phase Shift came out, and that looked promising. I tried it out, but it didn't impress me the way FoFiX did being Windows-only and closed-source.

While all of this was happening, I cultivated my love for rhythm games as well as open source software development. These factors along with the lack of a suitable FoFiX to play on the machines I have available to me led me to develop Rhythm Toolkit and Live Studio Sessions.

Rhythm Toolkit is our open source library that is meant to be used in conjunction with EOF to aid in the development of rhythm games. With EOF and RTK, anyone who can code can start making their own rhythm games with ease. Live Studio Sessions started out as a demo for RTK. As I developed the game further, decided to make a full-fledged game as a sort of spiritual successor to FoFiX.

We have a lot of plans for this title, but wanted to get an early version out to players to get some feedback. Let us know what you think by replying here or using the contact information on the bottom of our web page.
Last edited by NewCreature on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Stop putting so much stock in all of this stuff, live your life for those that you love." - Relient K
EOF - A Song Editor for Frets On Fire
ONAONEMEU

Re: Live Studio Sessions

Postby ONAONEMEU » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:27 pm

the program closes when i choose a song,is there somenthing i need to install (runtimes)?
Song Reupload Thread (Will be deleted by MEGA on 2022-01-26. "Thanks" again fortumo)
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:13 am

Which operating system are you using? Sounds like a bug. The program wouldn't start at all if you were missing runtimes.
"Stop putting so much stock in all of this stuff, live your life for those that you love." - Relient K
ONAONEMEU

Postby ONAONEMEU » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:49 am

NewCreature wrote:Which operating system are you using? Sounds like a bug. The program wouldn't start at all if you were missing runtimes.

Windows 8 64 Bit
Song Reupload Thread (Will be deleted by MEGA on 2022-01-26. "Thanks" again fortumo)
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:02 am

Does it crash on any song you pick?
ONAONEMEU

Postby ONAONEMEU » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:33 am

NewCreature wrote:Does it crash on any song you pick?

yes,even the "demo songs"
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:57 am

Alright. I'm not having any issues on Windows 7. I'll have to see if I can get a Windows 8 test environment set up.
NewCreature

Re: Live Studio Sessions (Updated 9/21/2014, Now for Android

Postby NewCreature » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:31 pm

Just uploaded the Android version. I will upload new builds for the other platforms soon. Once I verify that the crashing problem is solved, I can move on to adding more features.
Still Alive
wolferacing

Re: Live Studio Sessions (Updated 9/21/2014: Now for Android

Postby wolferacing » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:37 pm

Nice! I'll be sure to follow this. More rhythm games is always a great thing!
Guac is extra
vandorb12

Re: Live Studio Sessions (Updated 11/24/2014: Now for Androi

Postby vandorb12 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:42 pm

An Android port is quite the undertaking! I'll be monitoring this game.
YouTube (Rocksmith!)
The one, the only, the fretter of The Barebones.

Spoiler:Facebook

vipes200948

Postby vipes200948 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:15 am

Can't get notes to register on android version

-- Edit: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:35 am --

Can't get notes to register on android version
NewCreature

Postby NewCreature » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:56 pm

The Android version utilizes on-screen controls. The fret buttons are located on the top of the screen and the strum bar is located on the right of the screen in the middle.

To play notes, you must have your fingers on the correct fret buttons and move your thumb across the strum bar. Your thumb has to cross from one side of the strum bar to the other for it to count as a strum. I plan to implement an alternate control method where you can just tap your thumb close to the strum bar instead of sliding. This will feel familiar to FoF players.

Return to “Other Music Games”