- Phase Shift -

Discussion specific to other music games, like: RB, GH, GZ, JamLegend, SoS, etc.
This topic is 6 years and 9 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
beebe

Re: Phase Shift [v0.71]

Postby beebe » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:18 pm

thekiwimaddog wrote:
raynebc wrote:The easiest way I can think of for implementing that would be to insert a text event at the same delta tick position of each chord, something like "CHORD=Fmaj7". For sections where the chord is strummed multiple times in a row, it wouldn't be necessary to display the chord name each time, just at each chord change. I think at least in the beginning, the chart author will need to define the chord names manually. The alternative (the game detecting the name of each chord) would require creating a chord name database or finding a way to programmatically determine the name of any combination of fretted strings (hard, if not impossible).

Yea, I was looking really hard to find some tags which charts the chord name but I couldn't find anything in the pro data. I'm going to be making a chord database to handle this.

Thanks
David

If you need chord names I imagine stuff like this is a good place to start.

Spoiler:Image

Spoiler:

Image"I. F*cking. Love. Penguins!"

THE HYPNOTOAD!
thekiwimaddog

Postby thekiwimaddog » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:25 pm

beebe wrote:
thekiwimaddog wrote:
raynebc wrote:The easiest way I can think of for implementing that would be to insert a text event at the same delta tick position of each chord, something like "CHORD=Fmaj7". For sections where the chord is strummed multiple times in a row, it wouldn't be necessary to display the chord name each time, just at each chord change. I think at least in the beginning, the chart author will need to define the chord names manually. The alternative (the game detecting the name of each chord) would require creating a chord name database or finding a way to programmatically determine the name of any combination of fretted strings (hard, if not impossible).

Yea, I was looking really hard to find some tags which charts the chord name but I couldn't find anything in the pro data. I'm going to be making a chord database to handle this.

Thanks
David

If you need chord names http://www.findguitarchords.com/assets/ ... chords.jpg I imagine stuff like this is a good place to start.

Thanks.
The main thing I'm worried about is possible detuned guitar parts. I'm not sure how RB3 handles these.
For Example:
If there is Drop D tuning I'm not sure if the guitar part reflects how it would be if the guitar is tuned correctly or it changes the fret positions to suit the default tuning. Either way it is going to cause trouble which is why I was deperate to find the chord names in the midi chart somewhere. But I'm not having any luck so far. I might take a fresh look again to make sure they are not hiding somewhere.

Thanks
David
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:08 pm

thekiwimaddog wrote:Yea, I was looking really hard to find some tags which charts the chord name but I couldn't find anything in the pro data. I'm going to be making a chord database to handle this.

I got that chord information from here:
http://rawksd.japaneatahand.com/wiki/PRO_Mode_Research

For example, the first note event in the pro guitar track for "Du Hast" is "note 9 on", which theoretically represents the A5 power chord the song begins with. A chord dictionary may be good for a start, but it would still be good to allow a chart to manually define chord names. Otherwise, if the guitar part in a song uses a non standard tuning, Phase Shift would have a difficult time matching it with the correct chord name.
beebe

Postby beebe » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:30 pm

thekiwimaddog wrote:The main thing I'm worried about is possible detuned guitar parts. I'm not sure how RB3 handles these.
For Example:
If there is Drop D tuning I'm not sure if the guitar part reflects how it would be if the guitar is tuned correctly or it changes the fret positions to suit the default tuning. Either way it is going to cause trouble which is why I was deperate to find the chord names in the midi chart somewhere. But I'm not having any luck so far. I might take a fresh look again to make sure they are not hiding somewhere.

Thanks
David

Well to keep the chart as close to the real thing as possible it would have to change based on tuning, not to mention some songs would be impossible to play if you didn't, or it would sound stupid. For making the most accurate chords I would say look up what notes are in each chord then figure what the tuning of the song is then write out what it would be. A chord will always be the same notes just the placements of the notes and how it will be played (i.e. finger placement) is different. If that helps any.

Spoiler:

THE HYPNOTOAD!
thekiwimaddog

Postby thekiwimaddog » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:33 pm

raynebc wrote:
thekiwimaddog wrote:Yea, I was looking really hard to find some tags which charts the chord name but I couldn't find anything in the pro data. I'm going to be making a chord database to handle this.

I got that chord information from here:
http://rawksd.japaneatahand.com/wiki/PRO_Mode_Research

For example, the first note event in the pro guitar track for "Du Hast" is "note 9 on", which theoretically represents the A5 power chord the song begins with. A chord dictionary may be good for a start, but it would still be good to allow a chart to manually define chord names. Otherwise, if the guitar part in a song uses a non standard tuning, Phase Shift would have a difficult time matching it with the correct chord name.

That link seems to suggest that notes 0-20 are chord names. I don't see it myself from looking at the data.

It has some good info there tho. Thanks for the link!

David

-- Edit: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:35 am --

beebe wrote:
thekiwimaddog wrote:The main thing I'm worried about is possible detuned guitar parts. I'm not sure how RB3 handles these.
For Example:

Thanks
David

Well to keep the chart as close to the real thing as possible it would have to change based on tuning, not to mention some songs would be impossible to play if you didn't, or it would sound stupid. For making the most accurate chords I would say look up what notes are in each chord then figure what the tuning of the song is then write out what it would be. A chord will always be the same notes just the placements of the notes and how it will be played (i.e. finger placement) is different. If that helps any.

I agree, I need to see how easy this would be tho.

Thanks
David

-- Edit: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:56 pm --

OK, I have added support for more seperated audio files and I wanted to let you all know what format I'm going for.

These are all self explanatory:
drums.ogg - Full Drum Mix
rhythm.ogg - Bass Guitar / Rhythm Guitar
guitar.ogg - Guitar / Coop Guitar
keys.ogg - Keys
vocals.ogg - Normal Vocal Mix
song.ogg - All Other Song Audio
crowd.ogg - Crowd Audio

VOCALS
To correctly support harmony vocals we need to allow for seperate audio and as such:
vocals_1.ogg - Lead Vocals
vocals_2.ogg - Backing Vocals

DRUMS
If the game detects all 4 split drum audio tracks in the song folder then it will assume it's using the Guitar Hero Method.
If it only detects 3 then it will assume it's using the Rockband Method.
I will add some song.ini tags to overide this at some point but for now this should do fine unless someone has any objections.

NOTE: If there are not any split audio tracks found it will revert back to drums.ogg

Guitar Hero Method
drums_1.ogg - Kick Drum
drums_2.ogg - Snare Drum
drums_3.ogg - Toms
drums_4.ogg - Cymbals

Rockband Method
drums_1.ogg - Kick Drum
drums_2.ogg - Snare Drum
drums_3.ogg - Toms and Cymbals

I would reccomend that you include vocals.ogg and drums.ogg even if you have split Drum and Vocal audio. This will allow for backwards compatibility for FOF and also allow the option to disable the split audio if you so choose.

Let me know if you think this should be workable.
And thanks to Bluzer for his help.

David
Gimme a literocola.
Ambiguity

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:18 pm

Since RB3 PRO drums allows you to use 1-3 cymbals(I've never actually play RB3, so it may be 2-3, sorry if I'm wrong), will we be able to use a GH drum set in PRO mode since it has 1 extra pad?

T3HM3T4L:I've tried to sign up for Rock Band but they just won't allow me. They keep complaining I have to 'be over 18' while I've already been 18 for over half a year, and a sign up where I noted I was born in the '50s STILL GAVE ME THAT MESSAGE

So if anyone could help me get these templates, I'd very much appreciate it. I need it to edit notes and stuff for my Rock Band 2.

aander91:Sorry, but that'd be providing for minors, which is illegal.

T3HM3T4L:But I'm 18 years old... ?

aander91:Nope. Sorry.

T3HM3T4L:Nono, you're getting me wrong, I was asking how come I am still considered a minor?

aander91:Look, we can't just go out giving these things away to people who just say they're over 18 and show no proof, we'd be out of a job.

T3HM3T4L:Nevermind, I'll use EoF for it, I found the way I could use it for that.

THE HYPNOTOAD!
thekiwimaddog

Postby thekiwimaddog » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:23 pm

Ambiguity wrote:Since RB3 PRO drums allows you to use 1-3 cymbals(I've never actually play RB3, so it may be 2-3, sorry if I'm wrong), will we be able to use a GH drum set in PRO mode since it has 1 extra pad?

I've been considering this but I haven't yet decided. The trouble is that I want to keep the scoring system grouped. If I allow different drum setups then I'll need to seperate the scores as I'd consider a 7 lane score harder to achive than a 5 lane score.

But again, I haven't decided just yet.
Thanks
David
THE HYPNOTOAD!
thekiwimaddog

Postby thekiwimaddog » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:46 pm

raynebc wrote:I'm not sure how RB3 handles this, but it's been said that each pro note is worth more points. So perhaps any lane that is played as pro (instead one of the generic 4 lanes or bass drum) should score higher.

Well, I havent rulled it out, I just need to think about it a bit more.

I'm trying to upload you a file but megaupload it being a pain

David

-- Edit: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:49 pm --

OK, it's working now.
Check your PM.

David
beebe

Postby beebe » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:44 pm

thekiwimaddog wrote:
beebe wrote:Well to keep the chart as close to the real thing as possible it would have to change based on tuning, not to mention some songs would be impossible to play if you didn't, or it would sound stupid. For making the most accurate chords I would say look up what notes are in each chord then figure what the tuning of the song is then write out what it would be. A chord will always be the same notes just the placements of the notes and how it will be played (i.e. finger placement) is different. If that helps any.

I agree, I need to see how easy this would be tho.

Thanks
David

Well here are two sites that I think will help you out some
Guitar neck diagram
Guitar Chords

Hope that helps!

Spoiler:

LongTimeGoner
PiXeLaDo

Postby PiXeLaDo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:10 pm

I'll take back the rhythm guitar thing arround here.
If PS gets to read the rhythm guitar part, can we have main, lead, rhythm and bass at the same time?
FoFiX has three options for songs which have these charted: LEAD, RHYTHM and GUITAR (which is some sort of MAIN, I guess). GH2 Free Bird is a perfect example.

So, if a rare song has all of them charted, will the game be able to detect them all and show it to the user?. PS doesn't detect what's charted and what's not by now, so I was wondering...
THE HYPNOTOAD!
thekiwimaddog

Postby thekiwimaddog » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:24 am

PiXeLaDo wrote:I'll take back the rhythm guitar thing arround here.
If PS gets to read the rhythm guitar part, can we have main, lead, rhythm and bass at the same time?
FoFiX has three options for songs which have these charted: LEAD, RHYTHM and GUITAR (which is some sort of MAIN, I guess). GH2 Free Bird is a perfect example.

So, if a rare song has all of them charted, will the game be able to detect them all and show it to the user?. PS doesn't detect what's charted and what's not by now, so I was wondering...

Phase Shift does detect the parts now and will allow you to play all parts parts together if availible. The only problem is that they share Audio Files
PART GUITAR and PART GUITAR_COOP use guitar.ogg
PART BASS and PART RHYTHM use rhythm.ogg

It is possible that I could have support for extra seperated files if they are availible. But only if there is a demand for it as I don't want to confuse things more than I need to.

Thanks
David
LongTimeGoner
PiXeLaDo

Postby PiXeLaDo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:55 am

Nah, the audio thing is good as you proposed, Im talking about customs because it's hard to find songs with all these instruments on commercial games (band play killed rhythm guitar), so not much multitracks are to be found either.
Derp
slashfan7964

Postby slashfan7964 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:45 pm

Any idea when we might see a new version?

My Song Thread
Current Songs: 98
Secret Project in the Works! Check this signature for active updates!
My second band, Tetanus with Metallicaholic666 is recording a demo tape. Full album to follow.

Return to “Other Music Games”