Guitarrero, a clone of Frets On Fire

Discussion specific to other music games, like: RB, GH, GZ, JamLegend, SoS, etc.
This topic is 11 years and 4 days old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
FretsOnFireCpp

Guitarrero, a clone of Frets On Fire

Postby FretsOnFireCpp » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:25 pm

Hi !

Small presentation, I'm French, 21 and student !

Guitarrero is a Fof like but written in C++, which means faster and more 'upgradable' (3D scenery etc.)
I made this for my CV and it's the first release !
It should work on most of computers ;)
Also it's not a porting of actual Fof Python source code but a complete rewriting in C++ !
3D scenery is in a early state but everything is ready for introducing animated characters ;)

Thanks for testing and feedbacks !

---- EDIT ----

A litte precision :

In menus you should naviguate with F1 to F5 keys ;)
LongTimeGoner
PiXeLaDo

Re: Guitarrero, a clone of Frets On Fire

Postby PiXeLaDo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:03 pm

Hi, I see yo're trying to make a C++ clone of FoF, great!!!! I'd suggest some stuff before you go any further:

-FoF is too outdated and not even working with newer songs (rips), so you may want to make a FoFiX clone :)
-I see you're using megalight graphics, at leas the notes look like that. Are you planning to add native mod or theme system?
-Try to make the gameplay as smooth as possible, don't care about menus that much, as a jumping fretboard wont help at all

and why not to make mirrors? I see your server is pretty slow from my side of the net.

EDIT: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! OpenGL???? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Huzzah!
R4L

Postby R4L » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:09 pm

I just tried it. Very nice! My songs worked fine with the exception of having no hammer ons in songs that really needed them. It definitely runs way better than FOF.

Nice work so far!

Sig disabled. ~nwru
Cutting Briers
Qwedgeonline

Postby Qwedgeonline » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:41 pm

Awww. It's not made for a Mac. Can someone post a video, I am interested to see what it looks like!
Can we get this forum going again?
f*cking ninja's...
Asskickulater

Postby Asskickulater » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:04 pm

holy ****!!!! i need to try this out
Image Image
Jpop fanatic
raynebc

Postby raynebc » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:38 pm

I tested it with a couple songs. Here are my findings so far:

-Translation problems:
Change spelling of "Begginer" to "Beginner" and "Excelent" to "Excellent"

Gameplay problems:
*The delay value in the song.ini file is not properly used, causing charts with a delay other than zero to be played out of sync
*When playing a Rock Band Beatles chart, Guitarrero made me play the drum track instead of the expected guitar track. Examining the MIDI file, it appears the game just parsed MIDI track #1 instead of looking at "PART GUITAR". The order of MIDI tracks can vary, so Guitarrero will need to be updated to handle this.
*"Miss" sound effect is only played if a note is played outside of the correct hit window. If I intentionally hold the wrong buttons and pick at the correct time, it skips playing the miss sound. It does still not give me points though, so that part is working.

Other problems:
*When exiting to the main menu, file handle(s) to the last chart played are not closed, so I can't delete/rename it/etc.
*Fret 5 and pick perform song down even though they're not labeled to do anything in the song selection menu
*"Song Up" scrolls the list up, effectively moving down one selected song
*"Song down" scrolls the list down, effectively moving up one selected song
*Pressing arrow keys causes the song list to jump to the top during song selection.

Suggestions:
-Consider allow Up/Down arrow keys to move up/down during song/difficulty selection
-Add the ability to redirect the Songs folder in the config file
-Add the ability to detect input to map buttons (ie. to game controllers)
-Provide some documentation to explain settings, gameplay mode (ie. what is "Reflex"?)
-Option to stop (ie fret 5) and pause/start (ie. pick) song playback during song selection
-Provide a per-player difficulty selection
-Provide a per-player instrument track selection
-Improve the efficiency of the main loop. Even when paused, the game runs at maximum CPU utilization

I have to say, this does play very smoothly, even for two players.
googlyboogly
iamsensay

Postby iamsensay » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:01 pm

Looks very nice, im away from my windows box at the moment but when i get back i shall definitely give this a try!
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:22 pm

Hmm.......how many have these have been started. But cool man, its great to see another mind set towards a goal.
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

googlyboogly
iamsensay

Postby iamsensay » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:29 pm

amak11 wrote:Hmm.......how many have these have been started. But cool man, its great to see another mind set towards a goal.

This is already at a point past nearly every other game that gets suggested. From what ive seen its pretty much as far as acedia has got with rockfan so :P
aave000

Postby aave000 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:16 am

Looks like a good start. I tested it on linux through Wine, but unfortunately gameplay was too laggy to be playable so I'll probably wait for the native linux version. 3d scenery sounds exciting, I haven't seen that in these free games (I guess the hardest part is modelling and animation). Btw, are you planning to make it open source? That could quicken the linux/mac versions, if you have limited access to the platforms. Also, that way you could borrow code from Performous, another C++ music games (e.g. it has instrument handling, hammer-ons and singing) - although it seems you like writing stuff from scratch. :)

Anyway, as for improvement ideas, raynebc seems to have done good job listing the important ones.
Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Postby acrox999 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:33 am

:scared:

Frets On Fire is better than this because this is a clone of Frets On Fire. xD

Jk.

Will try this soon.

@aave : Are you the dev. of Performous?
FretsOnFireCpp

Postby FretsOnFireCpp » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:17 pm

Hi !
First of all thank you so much for testing ! (especially raynebc :thumbup: )

I've added your suggestions to my TODO list and already have made some (I have uploaded a new version of Guitarrero -> BETA 3)
Which is done in v1.00 BETA 3
-> Option to pause/start (fret 5) song playback during song selection
-> Allowed Up/Down arrow keys to move up/down during song selection
-> "Song Up" scrolls the list down now
-> "Song down" scrolls the list up now
-> Fixed - Fret 5 and pick perform song down even though they're not labeled to do anything in the song selection menu
-> Fixed - Pressing arrow keys causes the song list to jump to the top during song selection.
-> Could filter songs with user entries in song selection
-> Change spelling of "Begginer" to "Beginner" and "Excelent" to "Excellent"
-> Improve the efficiency of the main loop : when paused no more useless use of ressources
-> Should be fixed - play drum track instead of the expected guitar track (PART GUITAR in midi file)
-> Fixed - When exiting to the main menu, file handle(s) to the last chart played are not closed
-> Add the ability to redirect the Songs folder in the config file
-> Add The delay value in the song.ini file to be used

In TODO list :
-> "Miss" sound effect is only played if a note is played outside of the correct hit window.
-> Add the ability to detect input to map buttons (ie. to game controllers)
-> Provide some documentation to explain settings, gameplay mode (ie. what is "Reflex"?) Reflex is a mode where only 7 notes are shown at a time, make some songs funny :rolleyes:
-> Provide a per-player difficulty selection
-> Provide a per-player instrument track selection
-> Add some graphic effect when playing correctly (hard to see right now no ?)
-> Change entry sound (too much spectacle ?)

You could download the new version at the same place : http://playguitarrero.online.fr/index.php?en&go=download

If someone is interested for improving 3D scenery please post, I think that we could do something really good with some 3D developpers ;)

Thanks for helping me making a more complete and finished game ;)

Ps :
@raynebc -> if this point "Should be fixed - play drum track instead of the expected guitar track (PART GUITAR in midi file)" isn't fixed now for you, can you send me (or give me a link) to download a song (or just the midi file) that make this bug ?

Ps2 :
Really sorry for bad english, i'm working on !
aave000

Postby aave000 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:06 pm

Congrats about very fast response/fix time! I just love projects that take user feedback quickly and seriously into account. :) Anyway, you still didn't answer my question about open-sourcing...

acrox999 wrote:@aave : Are you the dev. of Performous?

I wouldn't say THE dev, put definately A dev. :P ;)
Bridged To The Sun.
acrox999

Postby acrox999 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:58 am

Hey FretsOnFireCpp, I can make a forum for the game if you want. Just drop me a PM and I'll do it for ya. :wink:

Game looks awesome BTW.

---- EDIT ----

Wow, it works great. Very smooth. BTW, can you make it .CHART file compatible?

Return to “Other Music Games”