Why is GH talked about like this?

Discussion specific to other music games, like: RB, GH, GZ, JamLegend, SoS, etc.
This topic is 15 years and 2 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
dgrams2000

Why is GH talked about like this?

Postby dgrams2000 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:19 pm

This was taken from an article on yahoo

In the third quarter of 2008 alone, the two top-selling items--"Madden NFL '09" and "Wii Fit"--sold 5 million units combined, according to NPD. And since it was first released in 2005, Guitar Hero has sold 25 million copies, grossing $2 billion.

I’m not anti-guitar hero or anti-activision or anything, in fact I love them all.... but it sickens me how the media (which is probably information spewed off from Activision)
Talks about the entire Guitar Hero series as a single unit. Reading the above makes the game sound phenomenal, but in reality, there has been about FIVE or SIX or SEVEN versions of the game that fall under this umbrella, plus its on formats from the PC to HandHeld systems, So lets divide that by 4 or 5 or 6… are the numbers still that great?

Sorry.. I’m done with my rant now. lol
I eat marbles
klorjne

Re: Why is GH talked about like this?

Postby klorjne » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:30 pm

They release a game a month
vedicardi wrote:I wonder how many more pages this thread will last before it gets locked like every other thread on here started by some idiot
amak11 wrote:(Oh no klorjne don't sig quote me again, i proved online gameplay on a portable gaming device will be slow)
dgrams2000

Postby dgrams2000 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:28 pm

Yeah... okay..
Thanks for that comment.

Anyone who wants to comment seriously here?
not a robot
raph666
Administrator

Postby raph666 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:05 pm

To me it's just a matter of interpretation. It seems implied they are referring to the Guitar Hero franchise since they explicitly wrote 2005. Seems a good choice instead of writing: GH1 sold xxx on this console, xxx on this console, xxx on this console. GH2 sold xxx on this console, xxx on this console and so on... grossing a total of $2 billions. Would have made a pretty boring article if you ask me, and anyway the Guitar Heroes really are things we're still buying. There are plenty of other sources where the "evil media" give sales details for each games and yes, the numbers are still relatively great. Great enough to justify the numerous releases in the franchise.
amidoinitrite?
sdottrix

Postby sdottrix » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:38 pm

i see why you got annoyed. generalisation of the many different games, most of which still sold more than wii fit, just seems stupid! GH:WT sold over 200,000 copies already, GH:metalica is expected to sell almost double! so why compare all of the Guitar Hero games as one unit, when great examples of sales like Rock the 80's and World Tour are out there? it's all messed up

oops... you got me started :blush:
PS3 Trophies | I got FoF on my PS3!!! so much easier with GH3 guitar... :P
NNdimethyltryptamine
Electro Tomato

Postby Electro Tomato » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:55 pm

I think that the real problem with the media's perception, is that people don't understand who made what. They think that all GH are made by GH guys and RB is the "newcomer"...

GH1 - Harmonix
GH2 - Harmonix
GH80's - Harmonix
GH3 - Neversoft
RB - Harmonix
GHOT - Neversoft
GHA - Neversoft
GHWT - Neversoft
RB2 - Harmonix
GHM - Neversoft

Return to “Other Music Games”