Strings on Speed

Discussion specific to other music games, like: RB, GH, GZ, JamLegend, SoS, etc.
This topic is 12 years and 1 month old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
bowzerk

Re: Strings on Speed

Postby bowzerk » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:40 pm

@ Lance_009:
I prefer not to set release dates, that way I have less pressure working on this and you guys are not going to be disappointed when I don't meet my deadlines.

@guitarfreak93:
For now I think this thread right here is a good enough replacement for an SoS forum, since the SoS community (if you can actually call it that) is pretty small. ;)
Strings on Speed: Discuss Download
Dr. Wooldoor is in.
guitarfreak93

Postby guitarfreak93 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:59 am

so whats gonna be in the new update?
bowzerk

Postby bowzerk » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:40 pm

guitarfreak93 wrote:so whats gonna be in the new update?

Well, since you asked, here's some info. :)

- The most important change is that more than 2 players will be able to play against each other. (in competitive)
- Also the way a game is set up has changed, because the old way was hard to implement for more than 2 players. When players connect to a server one of the players becomes the lobby leader, meaning he has to select a song and start the game.
- It will also be possible to host dedicated servers.

Here are two screens of the new multiplayer in action:

A bit sleepy
Kotti

Postby Kotti » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:54 am

Posting in this epic thread because I have a server up and I'd like to see the new 4-player mode in action.
Watch the demoscene
fenolftalein

Postby fenolftalein » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:06 am

Bowzerk, it's really awesome!!! Thanks!
bowzerk

Postby bowzerk » Sat May 02, 2009 6:01 am

@Kotti&fenolftalein: Good to hear that some ppl are still enthusiastic about this game. :smile:

Anyway, here's the new version Beta 0.8.

The new features are:
-more than 2 players supported now; up to 63 players in theory, it has only been tested with 4 players though
-starting multiplayer games has completely changed; players enter a lobby now before they start playing a song; the lobby leader has to select the song, difficulty and game mode
-support for dedicated servers (SoSds.exe)
-added an option to change the neckspeed
-fixed lots of bugs

Note: The joystick support still does not work properly it seems....

slifer967

Re:

Postby slifer967 » Sat May 02, 2009 5:49 pm

iamnoob wrote:We just need someone who understands both to convert. cough*alarian*cough

wat he said
The_Magus_X

Postby The_Magus_X » Sun May 03, 2009 11:55 am

Nice work bowzerk, by the way, i just found a bug when playing with 2 players only:

Instead of the screen being this:
It is this one:
At least i do prefer the text placement of the old one...

Is it a bug?
“Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem.â€
bowzerk

Postby bowzerk » Mon May 04, 2009 12:19 pm

I would not call it a bug, but I agree with you that the old text placement looked better.
The problem is that I was trying to find a way to display the text that works no matter how many players are in the game. So I thought the easiest way would be to always place it directly it to the top left of each player, like in this image:

I guess for only two players that doesn't really make sense since the top half of the screen is completely unused. Not sure atm how I should change the layout of the players, maybe I will simply add an exception if there are only two players.

Shashashake it!
icke01

Postby icke01 » Mon May 25, 2009 6:50 pm

I think I am just too stupid for this game. I am running it on Vista and Singleplayer works fine but as soon as I click Multiplayer a box opens and I can not do anything in the game but alt-tab out of it and end the process with the task manager :cursing: . Could anyone please make some kind of tutorial on how to do it? I would be thankful for a lifetime.
bowzerk

Postby bowzerk » Tue May 26, 2009 1:27 pm

icke01 wrote:I think I am just too stupid for this game. I am running it on Vista and Singleplayer works fine but as soon as I click Multiplayer a box opens and I can not do anything in the game but alt-tab out of it and end the process with the task manager :cursing: . Could anyone please make some kind of tutorial on how to do it? I would be thankful for a lifetime.

What kind of box do you mean? The server list or do you get some kind of error dialog? Anyway, usually it should work like this:

Shashashake it!
icke01

Postby icke01 » Tue May 26, 2009 1:50 pm

First of all thanks for the tutorial.
Whenever I click Multiplayer I get the "Serverlist" box but I can not click update nor anything else! It just does not do anything nomore. I can not change some of the options (like controls) either. I am using version 0.8.
bowzerk

Postby bowzerk » Tue May 26, 2009 2:01 pm

Hmm, is it possible that it actually starts hanging as soon as you click on "update" in the serverlist? Maybe you have a firewall which asks for permission if a program tries to connect to the internet and you can't see that because you're in fullscreen. If that is the case, start SoS in windowed mode and add an exception to your firewall when it asks for permission.

If that isn't the case, I really don't know what's wrong. :sad:

Shashashake it!
icke01

Postby icke01 » Tue May 26, 2009 2:12 pm

bowzerk wrote:Hmm, is it possible that it actually starts hanging as soon as you click on "update" in the serverlist? Maybe you have a firewall which asks for permission if a program tries to connect to the internet and you can't see that because you're in fullscreen. If that is the case, start SoS in windowed mode and add an exception to your firewall when it asks for permission.

If that isn't the case, I really don't know what's wrong. :sad:

I don't have any firewall on my computer.....BUT... starting it in window mode made it work!!! Thank you dude you are my hero!!! :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:
bowzerk

Postby bowzerk » Wed May 27, 2009 2:08 pm

Good to hear that. That is an odd bug though. :tongue:

Return to “Other Music Games”