Noice - Rock Bandish clone for mac

Discussion specific to other music games, like: RB, GH, GZ, JamLegend, SoS, etc.
This topic is 5 months and 2 weeks old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
teh_supar_hackr

Re: Noice - Rock Bandish clone for mac

Postby teh_supar_hackr » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:44 pm

brand wrote:new splash screen

i have made a few improvements too but not published yet. i'm now tracking perfect scores, i just don't have the interface symbols for it yet.

Nice background! You have a general idea what the symbol for a perfect score (FC) will be? Maybe a gold trophy could work?
brand

Postby brand » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:50 pm

teh_supar_hackr wrote:Nice background! You have a general idea what the symbol for a perfect score (FC) will be? Maybe a gold trophy could work?

i'm thinking it's gonna be the inital leter for the difficulty in a circle with wings. this will be a tiny icon next to the song. i need to revamp the score screen with graphic elements instead of just text.
teh_supar_hackr

Postby teh_supar_hackr » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:45 am

brand wrote:
teh_supar_hackr wrote:Nice background! You have a general idea what the symbol for a perfect score (FC) will be? Maybe a gold trophy could work?

i'm thinking it's gonna be the inital leter for the difficulty in a circle with wings. this will be a tiny icon next to the song. i need to revamp the score screen with graphic elements instead of just text.

That's a good idea. Outside of Clone Hero, GH/RB tend to only count a FC on Expert.
brand

Postby brand » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:55 pm

I had no idea about fc.
brand

Postby brand » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:39 pm

it's been a while but i'm slowly workin up new updates.

Today i added ogg file support. i ended up using the FFmpeg library which is way overkill for my purpose and it did bloat my app bundle a bit. I'll keep experimenting with other ways, my issue before was getting the pcmbuffer - it could lock up the computer and take forever, eventually crash. that part of the process needs to be done in c++ which i know very little of and bridging over c++ to swift makes it even trickier for me.

with FFmpeg i also have the issue that i don't fully understand how the pcmbuffer is passed around so i wasn't able to implement 1 engine with multiple buffers into 1 mixer. instead i have a separate AVAudioEngine for every track which is not ideal but it works. but i can't seek multitracks without them going out of sync. the solutions that i found suggest scheduling the pcmbuffer to play at a certain frame, but again, i don't know how to access the buffers.

so there are several features missing when playing multitrack ogg files, but they are playable.

I've also added Discord Rich Presence support. it displays browsing status, song being played, instrument and diffulty and when the song ends, how much stars you got

still working on art for the stars. the startup image changes randomly every time you start the game

i haven't made an icon for FCs yet. i worked on some, but didn't land on anything. instead for now FCs for expert makes the record in the selection menu gold and silver for the other difficulties.

i fixed a bunch of bugs but created new ones with the ogg support.
Last edited by brand on Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teh_supar_hackr

Postby teh_supar_hackr » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:40 am

brand wrote:it's been a while but i'm slowly workin up new updates.

Today i added ogg file support. i ended up using the FFmpeg library which is way overkill for my purpose and it did bloat my app bundle a bit. I'll keep experimenting with other ways, my issue before was getting the pcmbuffer - it could lock up the computer and take forever, eventually crash. that part of the process needs to be done in c++ which i know very little of and bridging over c++ to swift makes it even trickier for me.

with FFmpeg i also have the issue that i don't fully understand how the pcmbuffer is passed around so i wasn't able to implement 1 engine with multiple buffers into 1 mixer. instead i have a separate AVAudioEngine for every track which is not ideal but it works. but i can't seek multitracks without them going out of sync. the solutions that i found suggest scheduling the pcmbuffer to play at a certain frame, but again, i don't know how to access the buffers.

so there are several features missing when playing multitrack ogg files, but they are playable.

I've also added Discord Rich Presence support. it displays browsing status, song being played, instrument and diffulty and when the song ends, how much stars you got

still working on art for the stars. the startup image changes randomly every time you start the game

i haven't made an icon for FCs yet. i worked on some, but didn't land on anything. instead for now FCs for expert makes the record in the selection menu gold and silver for the other difficulties.

i fixed a bunch of bugs but created new ones with the ogg support.

Nice, you have something else that CH doesn't, detailed Discord support.
brand

Postby brand » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:17 pm

teh_supar_hackr wrote:Nice, you have something else that CH doesn't, detailed Discord support.

yay!

fixed the issues with the Ogg files. It took me a while but i got the syncing to work and the popping sound to go away. the pooping was coming from an empty playernode initiated at the start of the engine with a volume of 1. it took me forever to find it.

so with that done, i've updated all features to match the native files - instrument muting, rewind, fades, etc.
Last edited by brand on Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brand

Postby brand » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:45 pm

finally worked on guitar. it is pretty much complete minus pull off and hammer ons (i'll work on those soon), but it is now playable. I made new models for it too (placeholders) to better represent the guitar action. They look like this

they are plasticy like the controller :P

There was a lot of work to do on this mode like tracking points on sustains which wasn't as straightforward as I initially thought do to miditimestamps vs seconds. But it is worked out and functioning. Hammer-ons and pull-offs are gonna be another hurdle, but it is what it is.

I also fixed a bunch stuff, one major mistake i made was the execution of the multiplier. Rock Band applies the multiplier to the note that triggered, I applied it to the notes after it. I changed it.
brand

Postby brand » Tue May 09, 2023 5:01 pm

update: i've been doing little tweaks here and there and this is some of the bigger updates.

NEW LOGO

I've officially released version 1.0 which comes with a new logo. I felt the old one wasn't quite right. along with the new logo there is an updated splash screen. I cleaned up the old illustration a bit, and added many color combinations and croppings that change randomly and sometimes dramatically every time the game starts. i think it's a lot more sophisticated and it's going to inform design going forward.

ofcourse there is also a new app icon

i made some graphics for stars earned and these also display in Discord if you happen to be connected

Image Image

all 2d graphics have been updated to be a lot crisper, it makes the whole experience feel much nicer. Also i made a few layout changes in the song list for a more modern feel and adjusted some colors here and there

QOL:

from the score display screen I now display the next random song and the next random song by the same artist which you can start either from that same menu. if you don't like the next songs, you can randomize it again, and again till you find one of your liking, or go back to the main menu. this makes random play session so much nicer.

New option to start in full screen. I also fixed some bad window behavior and cleaned up the title bar and removed the close button because there is no use of closing the window and keeping the app running. I also cleaned up the menu bar a bit, made the audio mixer nicer and works better - there were some quirks when adjusting the volumes. Also all options are now saved immediately - i was saving on quit before so if noice crashed, that meant options weren't saved.

i cleaned up a few animations for a more responsive feel.

FIXES:
fixed a crash on Quit - it doesn't make much of a difference because it happened on quit, but now it doesn't

fixed a couple memory leaks.

I fixed star power on GH drum tracks. I didn't realize because i prefer to play the rock band versions, but GH doesn't have a trigger not to release star power on drums. now it works

i fixed several crashes introduced by ffmpeg, there is still one in the wild that happenes if you navigate to a new song right as the previous song preview is about to play. i can't figure this one out and it doesn't happen with m4a, aac and mp3s (i only use ffmpeg for oggs)

i'm continually massaging what i got. right now i'm tweaking the octopus animation some for better vibes, same with the splash screen.
Last edited by brand on Tue May 09, 2023 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brand

Postby brand » Tue May 16, 2023 3:30 am

so i released a couple of updates. some fixes here and there. new animation for the logo. cleaner transitions between menus. fixed a crash caused by seeking ogg audiostreams finally and added a new feature to random play to focus on a random artist and get more songs by said artist.
Last edited by brand on Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
brand

Postby brand » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:39 am

um, what is this? ^

Return to “Other Music Games”