An idea regarding dead threads

Questions/Comments/Requests about the forum itself
This topic is 7 years and 7 months old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
FrOoGle

An idea regarding dead threads

Postby FrOoGle » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:25 am

I'm aware that these forums were already heavily overhauled way back in January. However, something that's been really getting on my (and many others') nerves, is the bumpings of ancient threads. No, this isn't some random thing that happens once in a blue moon, oh no, this happens constantly.

If people didn't have the ability to bump ancient, dead threads, this problem would not be occurring. Or at least it wouldn't be as common as it is now. that being said, I believe that making threads last updated in, I dunno, 2013/2012 and before, unbumpable, would be a good solution. I dunno. :P

So, what do you think about this ? Am I a genius or am I talking out of my ass?
My Song Thread - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59701
FrOoGle HeRo I - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=628936#p628936
FrOoGle HeRo II (unfinished :C) - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=58720
FrOoGle HeRo III - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=637471#p637471
FrOoGle HeRo IV - viewtopic.php?f=17&p=638836
Bullet Train Blast - Nothing Remains (full album) - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=630599#p630599
Shadows Fall - Fire From the Sky (full album) - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59287&p=634454&hilit=Shadows+fall#p634454

Signature picture provided by The---Way
AKA Super Blooper
AlexTaylor

Re: An idea regarding dead threads

Postby AlexTaylor » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:56 am

I 100% support this idea.
1200+ Sygenysongs
BombDude24

Postby BombDude24 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:01 am

I think each topic category, or at least the ones that this is most an issue with, i.e. Tune Posting, Tune Request, and W.I.P., should have a "graveyard" sub-forum where older/dead posts that you described in the OP could go.

If the FoF staff needs someone to go through each topic category and filter through each post... Been there, done that, and I wouldn't mind doing it again for each one... Hint, hint, yoo-hoo, right here... Or if you have a way of automating the process, even better.
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:20 pm

When I last logged in, I believe there was a warning for someone bumping a thread that was older than... some arbitrary amount of time, that forced them to confirm that they wanted to post in an inactive thread. Is that still a thing, or did it get dropped?

Or did I imagine the whole thing?
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
Still Alive
wolferacing

Postby wolferacing » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:29 pm

Jama7301 wrote:When I last logged in, I believe there was a warning for someone bumping a thread that was older than... some arbitrary amount of time, that forced them to confirm that they wanted to post in an inactive thread. Is that still a thing, or did it get dropped?

Or did I imagine the whole thing?

No, you are 100% correct. We have been working on recreating this "Topic Age Warning" system for a while now. I'm glad to say it's finally active! Click on an old topic to see it in action.
~happy ice cream~
Kueller917

Postby Kueller917 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:57 am

I had the warning when I came back after forgetting about the site for a bit. I liked it. I don't know if I'd be up for full unbumpable threads. I'd hate to have had lost my old one.
Image Image
FrOoGle

Postby FrOoGle » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:40 pm

Late, I know, but it's almost depressing to think that abandoned threads are getting bumped more than current, fresh threads. I know that giving a warning sounds like a good idea, in theory, but, it really isn't. Just look at the recent pages of tune posting, there's so many people that are bumping dead threads, and will continue to bump them as long as possible. People apparently don't have the thinking skills to realize that bumping these won't do anything, other than disturb and annoy the FoF-FF community as a whole, even though being told how outdated a thread is when bumping. As long as they think someone will reupload their all time favorite song, nothing will stop them, unless a system in which it's impossible to bump threads from whatever few years ago is put in place.

raynebc wrote:As long as the OP of a thread could still have the ability to revive the thread, I think this kind of system is worthwhile.

I agree.
My Song Thread - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59701
FrOoGle HeRo I - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=628936#p628936
FrOoGle HeRo II (unfinished :C) - viewtopic.php?f=17&t=58720
FrOoGle HeRo III - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=637471#p637471
FrOoGle HeRo IV - viewtopic.php?f=17&p=638836
Bullet Train Blast - Nothing Remains (full album) - viewtopic.php?f=5&p=630599#p630599
Shadows Fall - Fire From the Sky (full album) - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59287&p=634454&hilit=Shadows+fall#p634454

Signature picture provided by The---Way
Still Alive
wolferacing

Postby wolferacing » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:20 pm

The problem I have with a reply-lock on old threads is the potential for the forum to feel unwelcoming. If a new member joins and sees every topic he/she goes to as locked, there is a good chance total interest would be lost. I understand an old topic bump is annoying, but I honestly believe a complete lockout is too harsh for the type of forum this is. A different approach should probably be taken to address the dead topics floating within tune posting. Dead link checker with attached "graveyard" perhaps.
SketchMan3

Postby SketchMan3 » Sat May 14, 2016 4:59 pm

Noooooooooo, please don't do this. The ability to bump old ancient threads in the various Tune sub-forums without feeling like I'm doing something wrong is one of the things that I've loved about this forum ever since I joined back in 2007. Being able to reupload a song for a link in the OP that has been dead for 5 years that people have been requesting reups for is a great feeling...
Ruler of Chatrooms
nobby76

Postby nobby76 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:26 pm

Funnily enough, posting in a thread that hasn't been active in 3 months :rolleyes: But i've only just seen it, i normally don't venture into these parts of the forum. It's where some of the freaky stuff happens :tongue:

I'm not sure if anything has already been done regarding this yet, but i was thinking about it, and i think i have an idea, a fairly simple one too..
As discussed already, having an actual lock on a thread that has gone more than X amount of time without a post, has it's pros and cons.
Yes it will stop new users from bumping old threads that have busted links, to the front pages. But if someone genuinely needs to add a post, OP or otherwise (depending how the lock works) like new links or an update, then they can't.

Something i've seen done on a few sites before and shouldn't be too hard to implement..
Instead of actually locking the thread, have it so after a thread has been inactive for X amount of time, when you go to post a reply and click either the reply button or in the quick reply box, it pops up a box or a message on screen saying something like......
This thread has been inactive for X amount of time and is now considered dead. Do you really need to wake it back up
Please do not post just to bump a thread?
Press
Continue to carry on and make your post or Press Cancel to return to the forum

And obviously have those 2 buttons in the message either let them carry on or cancel..Not saying it has to be those exact words, but you get the idea of the message.

What do you guys think? It should be enough to discourage the casual bumper, but if someone actually does need to reply, they can without having to try and get the thread unlocked again.

Take it easy,
Nobby.
LONG LIVE THE NOOBS, THEY WILL OVER THROW US WITH THERE VASTLY SUPERIOR STUPIDITY.
Check out the Tutorial Making songs without having to fret a single note And come check out the IRC Chatroom
Still Alive
wolferacing

Postby wolferacing » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:17 pm

We sort of already have that, just not as a pop up message. See my post above regarding the "Topic Age Warning" system. However if everyone feels like a pop up is a good idea, I'm willing to look into it.
Micicle

Postby Micicle » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:22 am

I think a popup would be better, as it is now the line saying its an old thread is barely noticeable. Even just increasing the font size of the message would probably make it quite a bit better.

Return to “Forum Talk”