How long will this forum live?

Questions/Comments/Requests about the forum itself
This topic is 12 years and 2 weeks old. Instead of replying, please begin a new topic, or search for another related topic that may be more suitable.
blatz89

Re: How long will this forum live?

Postby blatz89 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:06 pm

Heck, the amount of activity has noticibly decreased even since I joined, and that was but a short time ago :p.

But honestly, I like to stay positive. I'm sure that with another FoFix update this place will be flooded for another few months with an ungodly amount of traffic :tongue:
~happy ice cream~
Kueller917

Postby Kueller917 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:35 pm

FoF was popular when rhythm games in general boomed, since it was the easiest way to get your custom songs that might not be in Guitar Hero or Rock Band. As rhythm games fade out and its community does too (for various reasons) of course it gets less popular. But there will still be a community here nevertheless.
Image Image
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:31 am

If there were less terrible off-topic threads, i'd be more active. I like the community here. Just no quality threads to post in. Kinda sad.
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
blatz89

Postby blatz89 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:12 pm

Yeah, I agree. I kinda think (personally) that the popularity of this forum will kinda swell and ebb. It may never reach the amount of popularity that it had when rhythm games boomed, but it will always kinda have a devoted community. :p
weirdpeople

Postby weirdpeople » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:54 pm

To me the forum hasn't had any interesting threads for a long time, and i really only check it once a week now. So i have no clue.
Developer of clone hero, and Former FoFiX developer
I have special eyes
Belisario93

Postby Belisario93 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:02 pm

I can see multiple reasons why the community has slowed down, however it would be more beneficial to propose solutions rather than just say "this community is dying".

My first suggestions are more about improving the core of our forum. For one, as many others have said, rhythm games in general are losing their popularity, and have been for at least a few months, if not longer (it all depends on perspective). I'll admit that there's not really much that can be done about it, though one idea is to innovate more. If there's something new that the FoF community can bring to the rhythm gaming table, I feel some interest would be able to be gained.

The next problem that we are facing (which actually is hampering the first solution) is that FoFiX development has sortof died. This is also a tricky one to fix, because we can't really put up a now hiring sign somewhere and hope someone will develop with us for free. I'm thinking off the top of my head that maybe we could try and do something along the lines of "advertising" this project to college students as something that could help boost their resume (or CV for some people). But we would need some developers that know and can explain what's going on at the moment, and as far as that goes it seems to me most of them are busy doing other things (which I don't have a problem with, but is rather unfortunate).

As far as the community goes, it has become a rather hostile environment. We need to make this place more welcoming. This may be like talking to a brick wall, but if everyone could just swallow their pride and an ADD med, I think we'd actually have some civil discussion, which is always helpful in keeping people in a community and attracting more. The other option is to impose some stricter policies as far as user conduct.

Also, I wanted to note that most communities start to take a dive once the weather in north america starts to get nicer (which it has). I can't think of a community I've been to that hasn't slowed down at least a little bit during the summer. There's not much you can do about that.

Of course, this is just my thoughts, and I'd love to see what others think.
dangit nobby
~happy ice cream~
Kueller917

Postby Kueller917 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:01 pm

For the most part, I feel like the majority of people always saw and used this game as a Rock Band clone. For the most part they were right, it was stuff like the Alarian mod and FoFiX that made the popularity boom. As rhythm games got immensely popular people came to get their easy custom songs. When the popularity of rhythm games died down I guess what was left were the people who really stuck with the game. I remember I used to see a bunch of custom chart videos come out each week, now it's a rare occasion.
So as the above user mentioned, I think it would help if the game started innovating more beyond just being that Rock Band clone. I haven't seen anything too drastic of a change in the last few releases. Also, I doubt the community will really die any time soon unlike the actual RB/GH community, but also it'll never go back to it's peak. I think that needs to be accepted too.
Image Image
HOLLIDAY

Postby HOLLIDAY » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:40 am

how long has this forum been around anyway?
i just discovered FoF about a week ago and i must say this forum is amazing
i love that FoF is open source, this means that it can never get old
ias long as future versions are compatible with current content in this site this forum should outlive the current 28000+ memeners

I can see multiple reasons why the community has slowed down, however it would be more beneficial to propose solutions rather than just say "this community is dying".

having to type those letters in the verification box makes me not want to post ............................

Black Sabbath- Electric Funeral
Download

Black Sabbath- Symptom of the Universe
Download

Black Sabbath - You Won't Change Me
Download

Zelda2Acoustic
Download

Beethoven's 5th by Steve Vai
Download

Legend of Zelda - Game Over Remix(Hyper Speed)
Download

Dragon Warrior - Chateau Ladutorm
Download

Black Sabbath - Wicked World
Download

Randy Rhoads - Dee
Download
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Postby nwru » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:31 am

HOLLIDAY wrote:having to type those letters in the verification box makes me not want to post

Sorry about that, but it's to keep the spammers away. After 4 posts, the CAPTCHA is no longer necessary :cool:
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Forum FAQ / Frets On Fire Wiki
f*cking ninja's...
Asskickulater

Postby Asskickulater » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:48 pm

Kueller917 wrote:For the most part, I feel like the majority of people always saw and used this game as a Rock Band clone. For the most part they were right, it was stuff like the Alarian mod and FoFiX that made the popularity boom. As rhythm games got immensely popular people came to get their easy custom songs. When the popularity of rhythm games died down I guess what was left were the people who really stuck with the game. I remember I used to see a bunch of custom chart videos come out each week, now it's a rare occasion.
So as the above user mentioned, I think it would help if the game started innovating more beyond just being that Rock Band clone. I haven't seen anything too drastic of a change in the last few releases. Also, I doubt the community will really die any time soon unlike the actual RB/GH community, but also it'll never go back to it's peak. I think that needs to be accepted too.

well, I'm pretty sure these rythem games will come back again eventually, they'll probably die off for 3 or 4 years, maybe longer, then they'll come back, probably from a different company that will tweak the gamestyle somewhat (history almost always repeats itself..) when that happens, i think these forums may jump back up in activity, assuming developmet continued to clone the features of whatever takes rockbands place.
Image Image
HOLLIDAY

Postby HOLLIDAY » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:13 pm

you said it all
from a different company that will tweak the game style
every one has heard of GH and RB
and after playing them, getting stuck and mastering expert, they get old because the single game can offer nothing new

but no one i know has ever heard of FOF
i just recently discovered this myself

if anything is to bring back these rhythm games FOF is
its open source so any one can tweek the game style and it never gets old because there can always be something new

hearing this topic is a bit strange to me being new to these rhythm games and seeing that its becoming popular where i live

Sorry about that, but it's to keep the spammers away. After 4 posts, the CAPTCHA is no longer necessary

Nice i only need to make 2 more post to not bother with them again
on my old forum the CAPTCHA had a difficulty level
lowering that level made the words much more easier to see
took me four attempt to submit this post
im not complaining, just suggesting maybe other people with imperfect vision hate them as much as i do

Download

Download

Download

Zelda2Acoustic

Download

Download

Download

Download

Download

Randy Rhoads - Dee

Download
Jackzilla1

Postby Jackzilla1 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:24 pm

It has been so long since I have visited here. To my surprise the forum actually exists, but the community is staggering in numbers. I joined this forum in the 5th grade, And i enjoyed it so much! But it eventually died out for me... I returned short periods of times after that. Going through my YouTube, I came across some great videos I watched years back. Curious, I pulled out my guitar, plugged it in my computer, and now I'm downloading FoFiX again. If this community is still existing in a few years I'd be glad to help out in development or coding. Next year I start high school and have already chosen to take some basic computer classes for my electives. Hopefully I can become certified by Microsoft and possibly get more into coding. I hope the remaining community remains and survives.
COLOR CANCELED THEME

thebocaj wrote:I'm gonna call you Oo Cneetee from now on, as I couldn't see the black letters in that link at first.

http://nyan.cat is a real website and so is http://www.wwwdotcom.com
HOLLIDAY

Postby HOLLIDAY » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:21 am

what this forum really needs is a good cleaning out all the megaupload and invalid download links
it really makes it look dead here when files are no longer existing

Download

Download

Download

Zelda2Acoustic

Download

Download

Download

Download

Download

Randy Rhoads - Dee

Download
~happy ice cream~
Kueller917

Postby Kueller917 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:54 am

HOLLIDAY wrote:what this forum really needs is a good cleaning out all the megaupload and invalid download links
it really makes it look dead here when files are no longer existing

I think that's much easier said than done.
Image Image

Return to “Forum Talk”