A Board index Chat Box.

Questions/Comments/Requests about the forum itself
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Re: A Board index Chat Box.

Postby amak11 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:15 pm

Asskickulater wrote:
thebocaj wrote:
Asskickulater wrote:oh.. I figured a forum as advanced as this one would already had an option to be able to hide a section.

What, like the User Map?

yea excepr adding an option in the ucp to choose weather it hides it by default or shows it.

I as much as anyone else would love a weather option in the ucp... but that aint gonna happen. Last time someone messed with nature we got estemshorn (hehe, all in fun)

Where it sits now, there is more yays then nays for the chatbox (as nwru put it). You also have to consider the extra load this feature could have on forum load times, but can be maybe remedied by a UCP function. For spam, (using lysdestic's suggestion) user has to have x number of post to use it. Since the forum is based in php from what i see, and what i have learned so far within my php class it can do most things. Im still a nay about the whole idea cause only a few forum members will use it based on the number of yays i've seen.
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

I have special eyes
Belisario93

Postby Belisario93 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:10 pm

I still have yet to see anyone address my question as to why we think we need one in the first place. Seriously, what purpose would it serve? I wouldn't mind it as long as there's an actual reason for having it.
dangit nobby
f*cking ninja's...
Asskickulater

Postby Asskickulater » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:07 am

Belisario93 wrote:I still have yet to see anyone address my question as to why we think we need one in the first place. Seriously, what purpose would it serve? I wouldn't mind it as long as there's an actual reason for having it.

convience of being able to talk to other members in real time? and dont say anything about the IRC because that has been answered.
Image Image
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:13 am

Belisario93 wrote:I still have yet to see anyone address my question as to why we think we need one in the first place. Seriously, what purpose would it serve?

Then you haven't read the thread.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
R.I.P Worldrave
Metallicaholic666

Postby Metallicaholic666 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:25 pm

The main way I can see this becoming useful is people announcing that a new tier is available in their song packs or a new mod being available.

Other than that, I think it'll be used for a few months until someone breaks the ice and starts adding everyone here on Facebook to have a 1 on 1 chat, or even a group chat there.
I was wrong... maybe
Jama7301

Postby Jama7301 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:36 am

Metallicaholic666 wrote:The main way I can see this becoming useful is people announcing that a new tier is available in their song packs or a new mod being available.

Provided that people are willing to scroll all the way down to the bottom, and search through the logs to find out if a specific person has posted there ever, instead of just checking their threads first post.
"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
R.I.P Worldrave
Metallicaholic666

Postby Metallicaholic666 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:51 am

Jama7301 wrote:
Metallicaholic666 wrote:The main way I can see this becoming useful is people announcing that a new tier is available in their song packs or a new mod being available.

Provided that people are willing to scroll all the way down to the bottom, and search through the logs to find out if a specific person has posted there ever, instead of just checking their threads first post.

Implying that the chat box will be at the bottom
Implying that it'll be that active
>
>
>

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

Still Alive
wolferacing

Postby wolferacing » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:18 pm

Asskickulater wrote:
Belisario93 wrote:I still have yet to see anyone address my question as to why we think we need one in the first place. Seriously, what purpose would it serve? I wouldn't mind it as long as there's an actual reason for having it.

convience of being able to talk to other members in real time? and dont say anything about the IRC because that has been answered.

No actually, that hasn't been answered. The only answer I recall about using the IRC is that it's "moderated". If you come into the IRC Channel and talk maturely and not like a 7 year old you won't have any problem at all. When you talk like a complete idiot, that's when you see its moderated-ness. :tongue:

I still stand by saying the IRC handles any chat needs of this forum.
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:32 pm

wolferacing wrote:If you come into the IRC Channel and talk maturely and not like a 7 year old you won't have any problem at all. When you talk like a complete idiot, that's when you see its moderated-ness. :tongue:

Actually I'm afraid that's not true. If you have an opinion that is different from what the mods have, then you are wrong, and no amount of intelligent debating will fix that. Getting kicked for stupid and arbitrary rules and pet peeves are par for the course.

That's as far as I'm going on this. I'm not going to bring up any names, just know that my experience with the IRC has been mostly negative, and I know I'm not alone on this one.

This forum is mostly dead. Only a handful of members are still active and the manner of activity is very different nowadays. The chatbox will only get a little use but I can still see myself having fun with it.

Needed? No, but does it matter?
COUNTERPOINT

Dr. Professor Logic
Lysdestic

Postby Lysdestic » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:48 pm

Get rid of the IRC, add a chatbox, and put Nobby in charge!

Everyone is happy!
f*cking ninja's...
Asskickulater

Postby Asskickulater » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:02 pm

Lysdestic wrote:Get rid of the IRC, add a chatbox, and put Nobby in charge!

Everyone is happy!

^This
Image Image
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:05 pm

Asskickulater wrote:

Everyone is happy!

^This

Fails to read sarcasm ^

Find me a reason why YOU (Asskickulater) think the IRC shouldnt exist and a chatbox should?
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:23 pm

Stop. It doesn't matter. Why are you guys getting so crazy about this? I'm just assuming here but I'd be surprised if anyone in the IRC nowadays isn't a regular from the forums, so it's not like you'll be losing traffic. Also adding an easily accessible chat could eliminate or at the very least reduce the amount of tech threads that we get. Seriously we still get at least one "F3 F4 F5" thread weekly, and this forum is nearly dead.
COUNTERPOINT

f*cking ninja's...
Asskickulater

Postby Asskickulater » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:39 pm

amak11 wrote:
Asskickulater wrote:

Everyone is happy!

^This

Fails to read sarcasm ^

Find me a reason why YOU (Asskickulater) think the IRC shouldnt exist and a chatbox should?

i considered the putting nobby in charge part as sarcasm

and mainly, I hate IRC, its a massively outdated and buggy system, and why run another tab, or another application for the chat when it can just be on the bottom of the forums saving you an extra tab or program. and even though I KNOW your going argue with me on that (btw don't.. seriously.. Don't) I dont care about weather the IRC stays or goes. and to be quite honest.. I dont really see why you guys care so much about not having a chatbox, this has turned into something way bigger then it should have.
Image Image
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:13 am

I'll argue a little against that. On a personal basis, IRC is an extremely reliable option and hardly buggy (tho some servers like to counter that argument), from MY experience. It's not that we (the ones arguing against it) don't care, we just don't see the use of it with alternatives already in place for real time chat. If people need tech support for the game, they should go to Tech Support . If someone is requesting a song, they should to the Tune Request section. If someones song link is down... I don't know what to do then. All the chatbox actually does is promote laziness and poor forum etiquette.

P.S. ALSO search bar at top of forum is useful too

<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....

Return to “Forum Talk”