A Board index Chat Box.

Questions/Comments/Requests about the forum itself
THE RiPPER
bluzer

A Board index Chat Box.

Postby bluzer » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:54 pm

Who votes for one? I have mIRC I don't really use it. Its to intimidating for anyone to hang around it(good for ol' school ppl and ppl who want to feel ol' school).

Is there a possibility to TRY one out? I never seen a FOFFF.net chatbox in all the 3.10(3 yrs 10 mnths) yrs I have been here.
Image .... Image

-=-=-=-=-=- Request Your RB Songs Here: Song Request Page! -=-=-=-=-=-

The Who - Behind Blue Eyes Hidden Rock Band Rip!(expert only, Puppetz Style Custom!)
Scrolling Lyrics Tutorial (Rockband Style) 4 MFH-Alarian Mod
Guitar Hero: Aerosmith (links updated 10.12.09)
Guitar Hero: Metallica + DLC
Guitar Hero: Van Halen
Guitar Hero 5 DLC (incomplete)
Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock: (for FoF / FoFiX / Phase Shift)
ALL Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock DLC Downloadable
Rock Band 3: (for FoF / FoFiX / Phase Shift)
Available as RB3 DLC:
~~Bon Jovi: Greatest Hits (Rock Band Edition)
~~The Bee Gee's 01 Track Pack
~~John Lennon's "Imagine" Album
~~Queen Extravaganza Pack
~~Queen RB3 Enhanced Pack
~~Billy Joel: The Hits (Rock Band Edition)
~~Johnny Cash 01 Track Pack
~~Dragonforce RB3 DLC Songs
~~Linkin Park 6 Pack
~~Ozzy 8-Pack
~~The Doors: Greatest Hits
~~Lady GaGa 02
~~Bruno Mars TP
~~Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood
~~Megadeth - Rust In Peace
~~Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm With the Chili Peppers
~~Foo Fighters Track Pack 02/03/04
~~Coldplay Collection 01
~~Nirvana 01/02 & Celebrating Nirvana TPs
~~Avenged Sevenfold 01 TPs +2
~~20 Single DLCs

All of the links under this button are dead, its here for an archived version of my old "sig"
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Re: A Board index Chat Box.

Postby aander91 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:46 am

I generally find these to be really messy and out of place, but obviously the function is there so if it's possible then I'm all for it. Just make it look nice. ;)
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
blatz89

Postby blatz89 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:33 pm

I would definitely like one, but the addition of one of these just seems to prolong the existence of an obviously dead forum. But it's up to you guys, just don't make it TOO obstructive.
weirdpeople

Postby weirdpeople » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:06 pm

it would be nice to have, even if we have the irc.
Developer of clone hero, and Former FoFiX developer
f*cking ninja's...
Asskickulater

Postby Asskickulater » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:47 am

blatz89 wrote:I would definitely like one, but the addition of one of these just seems to prolong the existence of an obviously dead forum. But it's up to you guys, just don't make it TOO obstructive.

i wouldnt consider fofff dead, it gets a very decent amount of traffic, the site still gets new memebers... still new posts, it may be less active yes, but definately not dead.

I'm for the idea.
Image Image
Emperor naru
nwru
Administrator

Postby nwru » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:23 am

5 yays to 0 nehs? A chat box it is! A popular AJAX chat for phpbb is this one, shown by example on the developer's forum: http://startrekguide.com/community/chat.php . I'm a bit skeptical, as it won't be moderated often or be safe from spammers. It should also probably be on it's own page (as in the example), since it would add to the server/page loading times if it were on every page.

I understand why people wouldn't want to install mIRC and figure all that out, but that's why we provide the Mibbit interface. It's a mere one click to log in and use, and it's all browser-based. I still hang around in the #fof-ff channel all day (along with our other regulars) and love when people stop by to chat.
Use the Search feature first to find answers to your questions. Chances are that they have been asked before!

Forum FAQ / Frets On Fire Wiki
Black Moon Broods...
aander91

Postby aander91 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:32 am

Just for the record Mibbit has never worked for me.
COUNTERPOINT

1st Place-July 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
2nd Place-March 2010 Guitar Charting Competition
3rd Place-August 2009 Guitar Charting Competition
4th Place-December 2009 Guitar Charting Competition

Vidya Game Music arranged for String Ensemble
blatz89

Postby blatz89 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:51 pm

i wouldnt consider fofff dead, it gets a very decent amount of traffic, the site still gets new memebers... still new posts, it may be less active yes, but definately not dead.

I'm for the idea.

Oh, I wasn't calling fofff dead, I was just speaking from general experience.
THE RiPPER
bluzer

Postby bluzer » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:43 pm

nwru wrote:5 yays to 0 nehs? A chat box it is! A popular AJAX chat for phpbb is this one, shown by example on the developer's forum: http://startrekguide.com/community/chat.php . I'm a bit skeptical, as it won't be moderated often or be safe from spammers. It should also probably be on it's own page (as in the example), since it would add to the server/page loading times if it were on every page.

I understand why people wouldn't want to install mIRC and figure all that out, but that's why we provide the Mibbit interface. It's a mere one click to log in and use, and it's all browser-based. I still hang around in the #fof-ff channel all day (along with our other regulars) and love when people stop by to chat.

Alright nwru, if its to be on one page, make it the board index one. The central hub(people browsing the sub-forums will have no choice but to see it). I didn't think it should be on all pages as well.

Also, I'd like to bring another topic up. We need more moderation. :wink: Its pretty much just yourself. Just something(someone) to trim the weeds & lock the dead threads when people bump them and such.

I would vote for a few..

• puppetz
  • raynebc
  • nobby76
  • asskickulater
  • aander91
  • oh yeah, myself!

thats just at the top of my list(head) I can think of, there is a couple more, I just can't think of there names(beers).

::EDiT::
  • weirdpeople

as a late contender(there still more I can' think of)...Im just buzzing here :laugh:
Image .... Image

-=-=-=-=-=- Request Your RB Songs Here: Song Request Page! -=-=-=-=-=-

The Who - Behind Blue Eyes Hidden Rock Band Rip!(expert only, Puppetz Style Custom!)
Scrolling Lyrics Tutorial (Rockband Style) 4 MFH-Alarian Mod
Guitar Hero: Aerosmith (links updated 10.12.09)
Guitar Hero: Metallica + DLC
Guitar Hero: Van Halen
Guitar Hero 5 DLC (incomplete)
Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock: (for FoF / FoFiX / Phase Shift)
ALL Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock DLC Downloadable
Rock Band 3: (for FoF / FoFiX / Phase Shift)
Available as RB3 DLC:
~~Bon Jovi: Greatest Hits (Rock Band Edition)
~~The Bee Gee's 01 Track Pack
~~John Lennon's "Imagine" Album
~~Queen Extravaganza Pack
~~Queen RB3 Enhanced Pack
~~Billy Joel: The Hits (Rock Band Edition)
~~Johnny Cash 01 Track Pack
~~Dragonforce RB3 DLC Songs
~~Linkin Park 6 Pack
~~Ozzy 8-Pack
~~The Doors: Greatest Hits
~~Lady GaGa 02
~~Bruno Mars TP
~~Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood
~~Megadeth - Rust In Peace
~~Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm With the Chili Peppers
~~Foo Fighters Track Pack 02/03/04
~~Coldplay Collection 01
~~Nirvana 01/02 & Celebrating Nirvana TPs
~~Avenged Sevenfold 01 TPs +2
~~20 Single DLCs

All of the links under this button are dead, its here for an archived version of my old "sig"
Still Alive
wolferacing

Postby wolferacing » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:03 pm

I don't see a chat box as a useful or needed tool. Our IRC channel covers the chat experience quite well. It feels too much like reinventing the wheel here. Actually a chat box would have less features than that of the IRC channel, so it would be like reinventing a smaller wheel to cover the same distance... or something.

I just don't see a clear reason for a chat box that isn't already solved by either the IRC channel or the forum itself.
I have special eyes
Belisario93

Postby Belisario93 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:07 pm

I agree with wolfe.

Honestly, WHY do you want one? what purpose would it serve? We don't need one just to have one, that's ridiculous.
dangit nobby
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:30 pm

Chat boxes are a nice feature, but using the one on the guitar zero forum for example. It was riddled with spam and people asking stupid questions (ex. what color is the red firetruck?). Im with the above 2 post

bluzer wrote:Also, I'd like to bring another topic up. We need more moderation. Its pretty much just yourself. Just something(someone) to trim the weeds & lock the dead threads when people bump them and such.

So you bring you bring up the topic of more moderation in this topic...weird. :glare:
Keep in mind, this is considered off topic as it's not relevant to the topic at hand. If anyone has complained about the lack of moderation, just do what they've done in the past. make a topic about it.
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

f*cking ninja's...
Asskickulater

Postby Asskickulater » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:35 pm

amak11 wrote:Chat boxes are a nice feature, but using the one on the guitar zero forum for example. It was riddled with spam and people asking stupid questions (ex. what color is the red firetruck?). Im with the above 2 post

bluzer wrote:Also, I'd like to bring another topic up. We need more moderation. Its pretty much just yourself. Just something(someone) to trim the weeds & lock the dead threads when people bump them and such.

So you bring you bring up the topic of more moderation in this topic...weird. :glare:
Keep in mind, this is considered off topic as it's not relevant to the topic at hand. If anyone has complained about the lack of moderation, just do what they've done in the past. make a topic about it.

I disagree, having a chatbox doesn't instantly mean it will be spammed, the PS forums have had one since its creation, and I've never seen mindless spamming or people asking stupid questions.
Image Image
blatz89

Postby blatz89 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:15 pm

Honestly, if people know what's expected of them then there won't be that much spamming, but it's obviously going to be less serious and focused than the actual threads on the forum, being that people are chatting in real-time with other people and don't always want to ask mind-bending technical questions.
Oh, and I'm for the chatbox, as long as it's done properly.
The Man, The Moose
amak11

Postby amak11 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:54 pm

Asskickulator, PS forums: 323 members, FoF-FF: 249021 <-- big number difference. Going back to my main example with the Guitar Zero forums. A chatbox is a spambox waiting to happen. With as many as 10 - 2000 + active members a month here it would be filled with spam and people whining and complaining cause they didnt get help. Chatboxes are just one of the features are good if you have a small forum.
Disclaimer: If you take the above text seriously, then you are an even greater idiot then I

onmouseout="this.style.cursor='default'" alt="" />

letylovesjb27 in the Taylor Swift - Fearless Album thread wrote::DDDDDDDDDD thanks soooooooo much, I love all Taylor´s songs and this is already the first place where I finally found them!
Waitin for the others! xoxo

Code: Select all

<@away_xbox> Looks like it's your lucky day Amak11 >:) Since i don't see Amak here ill choose somebody else....
* @away_xbox straps 15 sticks of TNT to Amak11's body. The display reads [58] seconds.
<@away_xbox> Diffuse the timer by cutting the correct wire. There are 14 wires. They are Green White Peenus Indigo Black Gold Grey Brown Violet Turquoise Teal Magenta Mauve and Yellow.
<Amak11> oh really
<Belisario93> hmm
<Amak11> !cutwire Peenus
<@away_xbox> ...snip....
<@away_xbox> Amak11 cut the Peenus wire. This has defused the timer on the TNT! Just try and get it off you without setting it off, ok?

Return to “Forum Talk”